Texas Vehicle Inspection

Onthego

We just bought a new Nissan Xterra in Yuma AZ. Called Livingston and they explained I could title it in AZ and register it in Texas or title and register in Texas. I wanted title in Texas so waited for the AZ title to arrive. It arrived at the dealership in about 14 days and was certainly a paper title. Per Texas: I filled out a form where I certified I had inspected the Vin number; filled out the form for registration; sent the AZ title which was endorsed and witnessed by a notary; sent a form stating I was out of Texas but needed to register the vehicle; included a purchase order showing the sales price and a check for the amount they had calculated and told me on the phone. It was delivered in Livingston TX at 10:30am on Wednesday and the plates with registration papers and stickers were in my mailbox in Yuma on Saturday.

When I called they were very helpful. I followed their very specific instructions and all went without a hitch.

Walkerl

Walker & Evelyn

2009 Volvo 780 I-Shift; 2011 38LK HitchHiker; 2011 Smart

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I talked to the wrong people. I was dealing with Gregg County DMV not Polk County. The dealership in Florida where I purchased the bike had a bad time with Gregg County and Austin. Both insisted there was no way around returning to Texas unless I was in the military or a student. I guess I need to talk to different people if I every buy out of state again.

Don't feel bad Duane, you are not the only one that has been misinformed on this topic....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I second Jack's sentiment on your experience. It can really be a problem with employs and their supervisors that don't know how to do what they are tasked to do or even how to find the correct information. I applaud the ones that at least try to resolve it. I don't think in most cases it a bad attitude. I reported somewhere here recently how when I was at Livingston and went to have my then CDL renewed almost 6mo early and the new one was never issued. After calling the Livingston office I was referred to a phone in Austin. It was a matter of hours of waiting on the phone on multiple days. Eventually I got to someone that put a canciliation on it and a new one issued but could not say what happened to the original which really kept me worried. About 7 months later I went in person to a DL office I think in Athens,TX. that wasn't busy and talked with a lady that was able to get the information that it was never issued in the first place but still could not say why. At least I didn't have to worry that someone had got their hands on the first one. I have been a Texan since 1953 and have never heard of this happening. Go figure.

I got my class A non CDL renewed today at the Richmond DPS office and it took a bit of time as the fellow kept trying to get me to fill out a CDL paper. They finally got their act together and found the right forms and collected $25.00 and I got the receipt.

The problem is the DMV and the DPS personnel have so many rules and regulations to keep tract of, I can see how they provide mis-information to the public. But in any case, if they do not know the answer, they need to find the person that does know the answer. These folks are not paid enough to get people that really care.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

With respect to the change in TX law, it's important to remember:

1. those don't take effect until March 2015;

2. the next session of the TX legislature opens in January of 2015, so there's time to incorporate amendments that will address concerns of RVers who domicile in TX;

3. pending a change in the law, the executive branch may have some flexibility by way of writing rules & regs relevant to implementation and enforcement of the statutory changes in question, thus making them more RV domicile-friendly. In the short term, this is where Escapees, working in collaboration with lobbyists for the transportation industry, can try to mitigate the damage done.

I will be watching closely for word of Escapees' action plan.

Sally

2014 DRV Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

2013 Ford F350

http://where-rv-going.blogspot.com

I'm glad you think that there is time between opening session of the legislature in January '15 and effective date of 3/1/15 - - but given the past history of the legislature and the fact that most bills don't get acted upon until late May or into June of the session, I don't share your optimism. :( Our car registration comes due in April of each year, so while we will have more time with the motorhome, not so with the car.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm not "encouraged" either Barb. But I tend to take a negative view of the ability of Government to get most anything done "right". Some call me a pessimist. Perhaps on this topic.... :(

I'm still taking a wait and see attitude and will be willing to go a year with the new law before taking action. But if it stands, I will have to leave TX. Which will be traumatic...

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I'll be right there with you, Jack, and it will be just as traumatic for us.

I'm watching very closely, too, because the stakes are higher for us than for most. The toughest thing will be that we're so committed to living in and establishing our domicile in Texas that everything we own is here -- and we've added significantly to our "holdings" since becoming Texas residents five years ago. Then, to compound the problem, we have even less flexibility than most when it comes to being away from home -- or more specifically, out of state -- because the time that we spend out of state is neither recreational nor discretionary. We leave Texas when there's work in another state, and we can't return until that work is over, arbitrary state requirements be damned.

With the flexibility of the current system, being out of state -- even the thirty-five consecutive month stint -- wasn't a problem. We kept everything properly registered, and had the 3+ year old inspections updated within a couple of days of our return. Under the upcoming new system, well, we have serious problems.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil, it will be especially hard for you and me (and others) because of our trucks. Fl is a no-go because legally you have to have a CDL to drive our trucks and I do not want to go that route. SD is out, for US, because you can not get health insurance there that is useful out of state. So that leaves some other states....left to be explored.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Someone posted about NC getting it right. Until last year we were residents of NC. It was near impossible to get tags if you were out of town. At one time I had to drive 800 miles just for an inspection. NC would not honor the states inspection. Most recent was Louisiana. We submitted an inspection from the parish we were in and they rejected it. Had to go to another parish and get inspection. Thought we had left this behind us. We are Texas residents now.

Edited by Glenn West

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We just bought our new motorhome in Arizona. They are a title holding state and, according to the information we received at purchase, the title is mailed to the lienholder, but we will receive a validated title and registration application which is what we will use to register the RV in Washington State. Will Texas not accept the validated title from Arizona?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I just left NC. The vehicle taxes are tough and to renew your plate is a yearly inspection. 30 days grace that's it. If considering NC, emission testing is in most counties, county taxes as well as state taxes apply. Our 5th wheel was around 800 yr, Dodge pickup was 250-300 on taxes plus you had to have a "weighted tag" which for me was around another $360. Don't know about insurance there, as the plan I had got canceled after the move to South Dakota.

Now I'm watching this develop here in Texas which is the only ins option for me.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We just bought our new motorhome in Arizona. They are a title holding state and, according to the information we received at purchase, the title is mailed to the lienholder, but we will receive a validated title and registration application which is what we will use to register the RV in Washington State. Will Texas not accept the validated title from Arizona?

Texas issues a "duplicate" title on vehicles that have a lien. I imagine they would accept the Arizona "validated" title.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

It would be interesting to know who was behind this new law.

I wonder if it's the vehicle inspection industry.

This is really the only way to MAKE people get inspections, and to make everybody get current on their inspections. A while back I started looking at people's stickers to see if the inspection month and the registration month are the same, and was shocked at how often they're not the same. I know I liked gaming the system by waiting until the first of the month after my inspection was due to have it done, to get a sticker with the new month. Over the course of a decade, I'd save almost $10. :D

What is the situation like in non-smog counties? I know that in Austin, before they started requiring emissions testing, it was kind of a hassle to find a place to inspect your car, but once emissions testing came around, suddenly there were places EVERYWHERE, I assume it's because what we have to pay for the inspection went way up. Somebody's making a lot of money on inspections with emissions testing, and maybe now that they've conquered that, they're moving on to other green pastures.

Our car is January and our moho is March. We can get a (short) period within 90 days of both. But for someone who has registrations in February and August, for example, they're looking at having to be in Texas twice.

What about the family that is with their child here in Memphis who is at St. Jude. Are they going to drive back to Texas to get an inspection.

Excellent! Nobody cares about RVers who can afford to just travel around all the time.

I'm glad you think that there is time between opening session of the legislature in January '15 and effective date of 3/1/15 - - but given the past history of the legislature and the fact that most bills don't get acted upon until late May or into June of the session, I don't share your optimism.

Even if they acted on it immediately, any law they passed wouldn't go into effect until 90 days after the session ends unless a different effective date is voted on by 2/3 of each house.

Depending on how the law is worded, there might be wiggle room in the rules that are promulgated by the agency that will implement the law. The legislature is pretty much out of it at this point.

I don't understand your comment about no one caring about RV'ers after the example of someone out of state for a good reason maybe having to drive back to Tx for a vehicle inspection so they can keep their registration current. The effect is the same. Often the places we are don't even have a safety inspection requirement.

I am not current on what size or weight of trailers require an inspection. IE: does does a 4X6, or a 6X16 foot utility trailer require inspection in Tx. What about a boat trailer. I believe all trailers in Texas require registration. It might seem a little extreme but it is a valid question. All could be required to be inspected for at least lighting and tires and brakes if they have them.

Some RV'rs for instance even have 3 vehicles or more that are purchased at different months so are registered in different months. The same actually applies to almost everyone in Texas that has multiple vehicles.

In regard to NC and their issues, I am wondering about all the GI's there that may not be available to come home to get their vehicle inspected in the proper time frame. The same could hold true for Tx. under the new system for the GI's here.

Edited by bigjim

This is really the only way to MAKE people get inspections, and to make everybody get current on their inspections. A while back I started looking at people's stickers to see if the inspection month and the registration month are the same, and was shocked at how often they're not the same. I know I liked gaming the system by waiting until the first of the month after my inspection was due to have it done, to get a sticker with the new month. Over the course of a decade, I'd save almost $10.

I doubt that has much to do with it. The date of the safety inspection and the issuance of license plates is typically only the same if the vehicle is still owned by the original purchaser. To use the vehicle currently sitting just outside of my door as an example. I bought it used in June of last year and so the license plates were also issued in June. The original month of sale was December and since the vehicle has never been without a current inspection, it is still due for renewal each December. So I really don't think that I have been gaming the system. :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

...It would be interesting to know who was behind this new law...

Reading Rif's comment below:

There is another "unintended consequence" to this law that will create a real problem for many folks who do live full time in the state. That is all those tens of thousands of folks who live in their motor homes or trailers year round and never move them, or those who may spend months on end in one place. This includes many who have their RV's on year round sites at destination locations they visit for weekends and vacations. This new law would require them all to figure out a way to get their rig to an inspection station.

and the law linked to in my previous post; I am wondering if the effect on traveling RVers and Motor carriers is the "unintented consequence" and getting personal property tax for RVs used as residences to the counties is the true intent. Registering an RV used as a residence that never moves or may actually be incapable of moving without removing skirting, putting wheels back on, etc. seems to me to be close if not over the line between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Edited by TCW

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

and the law linked to in my previous post; I am wondering if the effect on traveling RVers and Motor carriers is the "unintented consequence" and getting personal property tax for RVs used as residences to the counties is the true intent. Registering an RV used as a residence that never moves or may actually be incapable of moving without removing skirting, putting wheels back on, etc. seems to me to be close if not over the line between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Texas has no personal property tax on vehicles. They do however have real estate taxes that apply to improvements on rented or leased property such as a condo type community. The fixed RVs then might be deemed to be fixed improvements.

Edited by Kirk

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Texas has no personal property tax on vehicles. They do however have real estate taxes that apply to improvements on rented or leased property such as a condo type community. The fixed RVs then might be deemed to be fixed improvements.

The appraisal district is "supposed" to asses property as to it's condition on Jan 1. "Unfix" it for a day. :)

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

To respond to several of the posts on this thread:

For those complaining about not getting notice and being caught off guard... the law doesn't go into effect until NEXT YEAR... 13 months from now.

The article AND the original post (above) only mention "vehicles" and does not address RV trailers. All you complaining about permanently parked trailers that cannot be moved... you'd better find out if trailers need to be inspected annually or not. I suspect "not", but I can't tell from the research I have done online.

Even if only the vehicle is required to get an inspection, this doesn't handle someone who is out of state for longer periods (for any reason). Many snowbirds go to Florida for four months in the winter. Would someone have to cut short their vacation just because their renewal date falls in those months? What about people out of state on an extended work contract? Are they supposed to get a waiver from their job to go drive back to Texas to renew their vehicle registration? Geez! The TX lawmakers didn't have mobile people in mind when they made up this law. People on extended vacations and people with extended work contracts out of state are not necessarily planning on changing their state residency. Hell, I know families where the husband goes to Calif for a year or two for a job while the wife and kids stay in the family home.

Yes, even boat/trailer/RV storage rental places often require that items parked there are currently registered.

I was in Texas for a while and contemplated "going Texan" but decided to keep my Florida residency (and vehicle registrations). Texas has some bizarre steps to "go Texan". First, you have to register your vehicle in TX within 30 days. But you cannot get a drivers license until you've been in the state for at least 30 days (proven by certain acceptable documents which show you've been there at least 30 days). WTF?!?!? I couldn't navigate the requirements and put down a set of steps to follow on a piece of paper, so I gave up. I eventually left Texas because I found the people "inhospitable".

@Barbaraok: Many organizations reply with a generic "thank you for bringing it to our attention" type of note. It doesn't mean you were the first to notify them.

Wilhelmina, I doubt if the Texas folks were not hospitable. But if you come on to them in a pushy manner, they will not put up with that kind of attitude. We have lived in several sates and everyone of them had some different and sometimes strange requirements compared to what we were used to in Texas.

Texas born and Texas proud,

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

But you cannot get a drivers license until you've been in the state for at least 30 days (proven by certain acceptable documents which show you've been there at least 30 days).

If this is true, then it must be a change in the law since we were domiciled in Texas. And I doubt very much the law has been changed or we would have read about it here or on other RV forums.

When we first became domiciled in Texas, we drove to Livingston and had everything done (vehicle inspection, driver's licenses, vehicle registration, voter's registration) within 4 hours of arriving in town. This was our first time in the State of Texas...we certainly had not been there for 30 days!

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The article AND the original post (above) only mention "vehicles" and does not address RV trailers.

RV trailers are vehicles. Anything that requires a registration and a license plate is a vehicle. And yes, even under current law, all vehicles require annual safety inspections.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter