Texas Vehicle Inspection

Onthego

Trailers and 5th wheels now must have a current inspection when sold.

I wonder how that is enforced? I sold (traded in) my last trailer two years ago, with an inspection sticker that was about 10 years out of date. The dealer never gave it a look, but I suppose they put a fresh one on when they re-sold that trailer. Easy enough for them to do.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to keep in mind...

This past June 2013 in Texas, a law was passed to combine the annual safety inspection process into the annual registration process. This new law is not set to take effect until March 2015. (~ 1 year from now)

Some important parts of the law as it was passed...

There will only be one sticker- the Registration sticker.

Before a vehicle registration can be renewed an inspection must be completed within the 90 days prior to the vehicle registration expiration.

So, proof of safety inspection will be needed before registration renewal can be completed. This proof will be either from a database in which the inspection is submitted at the time of inspection or from the inspection report given at the time of the inspection.

The law was passed June 2013. They are currently revising the affected portions of the transportation code as well as developing the procedures.

So there are a lot of questions with few answers until these revisions are made and adopted.

Some things to consider and make plans are multiple vehicle registration expirations. Trying to consolidate these so inspections can be done in a window of time when you are likely to be in the state.

It has been possible to register for more than 1 year. So, if still available, then it may be an option to register for more than 1 year to see how this all works out.

Options (advantages/disadvantages) will need to be considered depending on personal circumstances.

The law has been passed but the procedures have not been developed so who knows how this will shake out.

This change is something to keep in mind, be aware, and make plans to ease the potential issues of living on the road, especially if you are not in the state for an extended period of time.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Well, that will certainly increase the number of folks getting their trailers inspected!! I had heard that this was possibly in the works but was unaware that it was a done deal. With a trailer and two different vehicles, all with registrations coming due on different months, I certainly hope that they introduce a way to get them all synced up for those of us who travel extensively. I suspect that we are such a tiny percentage of owners that we'll be very low on the priority list, but perhaps SKP's is already on the case.

When I was a kid in high school, driving a POS car, my friends and I knew all of fly-by-night inspection stations that would just give you a sticker without actually checking your car. This new law should be a real shot-in-the-arm for those kinds of places...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Re: treyandsusan post #27. That could be a total problem even with your tow vehicle and motorhome if I understand it correctly. This sure is a time for some common sense.

I wish I could believe that the reasons behind this had to do solely with safety. I have closed my and saying, "I wish I were back in Kansas."

Edited by bigjim

Wow, that sucks. Mr. Kirk had just about convinced me to declare Texas as my domicle, (I always wanted to be a Texan.) in spite of the extra costs involved, however with this bill, it's completely out of the question. I guess it's SD for sure now. Full-timer reguistration revenues will surely drop as people flee. The number of registered voters will dip too - a classic case of the law of unintended consequences. After reading the law it looks like they will be emission testing everyone now - and denying registration if your vehicle fails. I'm no lawyer, but that's the way I read it.

Chip

The issue with SD for ME is that there are no health insurance policies available there that will cover fulltimers that travel..... NONE. That may change in the future. OR, the TX law may be amended to account for people out of state. Personally, I'll wait and see.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The issue with SD for ME is that there are no health insurance policies available there that will cover fulltimers that travel..... NONE. That may change in the future. OR, the TX law may be amended to account for people out of state. Personally, I'll wait and see.....

I am in the same boat as you. The Texas legislature has never been famous for getting things right the first time. Let's see what happens in the next year. Perhaps a contact with state legislators that represent Polk County might be in order. They could stand to lose a lot of constituants. I plan to contact them.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Here is where you can find the legislators for Polk County: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/County.aspx?CountyCode=373&CountyName=Polk

Here is the message I sent to both of them:

I just read a study that was produced in the state and learned about the new law passed by the legislature requiring a vehicle inspection within 90 days before a registration sticker would be issued. As someone who lives in an RV full time and only returns to the state occasionally, I was wondering what consideration was given for people like me who cannot always return to the state every time one of their vehicle's registration needs to be renewed. I would imagine someone serving in the military at an out of state post would have the same question.

As you must know, the region that you represent has a lot of people in the same situation as me. I am a member of an organization that represents them. I am not in a leadership position, but I participate in an internet forum with many others in the same situation. I am sure your answer would be of great interest to all.

Edited by mrschwarz

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Does anyone know if Escapees is involved in clarifying this bill? I would hope so.

The ramification of this - if it goes through and is enforced as I understand it - is that I will no longer be able to use TX as a domicile. Since the ability to return physically to TX each year on THEIR schedule is not there. But that leaves few states that are rational. SD is out. FL is out, because of our truck.

Not may state governments give ANY thought to those outside the "norm". This is just another example of it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I suspect that this may be changed somewhat before it is a done deal but you never know. I remember the trailer tax deal several years back that they screwed up but later corrected. Early input to legislators may help them get this closer to right the first time I hope. I see big problems if they keep on this tac and more negative for state revenue than positive.

Based on my reading, one of the new 'features' of the law is that the state collects their fee for inspection when registration is paid. If they figure out a way to have out of state vehicles avoid inspection, the state still gets to collect its fee.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

There is a provision for not being in the state but who knows what that means in practice when the procedures are written...

Sec. 548.103. EXTENDED INSPECTION PERIOD FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES. The department may extend the time within which the resident owner of a vehicle that is not in this state when an inspection is required must obtain a vehicle [an] inspection report [certificate] in this state.

Edited by TreyandSusan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

This is interesting. We are registered in Walker County as we bought land there for a home base when out of work. No house just hookups. Our mail is with Escapees though as we are seldom there. I travel out of state when work is more profitable. One big reason for going with Texas was to get away from hassles with inspection/registration. NC was terrible. But they had no rv inspection. I have driven 1200 miles just to get vehicle inspection with NC.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

What state is best really depends on "your" situation and how you travel. We probably would have gone with SD. However, it's not on the way to anywhere we regularly go. Being native Texans and being in Texas regularly, Texas was a no brainer for us.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Why can't Florida residents join Escapees?

Who told you that FL residents can't be members of Escapees? Some years ago there was an article on the subject of home states of Escapee members in their magazine and if I remember correctly there were no states that didn't have at least one or two members.......

Edited by Kirk

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI