Texas Vehicle Inspection

Onthego

I've had my fifth wheel inspected in the Rio Grande Valley several times. If DeMontrond RV also services what they sell, I would think that their service department could do it. Maybe you'd have better luck talking with the service manager there, rather than a clearly less-than-knowledgeable salesperson. If they don't, check other RV service facilities. Sooner or later, you'll find one that is knowledgeable enough to take care of you.

An inspection for towables is pretty much what you said -- tires, lights, etc. I can't remember if they moved the combination to check for trailer brake function last time or not.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One place I have had mine inspected near Cypress, TX had me pull forward and hit the brakes so he could hear the brakes click. No one else has done that'

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 3 weeks later...

I just had my truck inspected and was told that next spring( before May when license is due) that I would have to get an in-state inspection before new License plates would be issued. This is supposedly a new law that goes into effect on March 1st, 2015. Asked if another out of state inspection could be used and sent to Texas and was told that under new law that the truck would have to be inspected in Texas right before a new license plate sticker would be issued. Has anyone else heard of this new Texas law?

I just had my truck inspected and was told that next spring( before May when license is due) that I would have to get an in-state inspection before new License plates would be issued. This is supposedly a new law that goes into effect on March 1st, 2015. Asked if another out of state inspection could be used and sent to Texas and was told that under new law that the truck would have to be inspected in Texas right before a new license plate sticker would be issued. Has anyone else heard of this new Texas law?

Tons of discussion on this here:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=108937

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Any questions about this law are probably have been answered in this topic, the one you posted your question in. Did you read through this topic?

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Guest Pensauncola

Anyone current on how this will affect rv's set up or stored for extended times and not operated on the roads in TX? I know I could call the tax office in Livingston but why would I want to miss all the excellent information availlable here. :)

Just curious, why would you want to register a vehicle you're not going to take on the road?

Isn't there some rule that parked and non-registered RVs then get taxed as a mobile home? Way too long since I looked at the Texas tax code.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I think if you look around you will find quite a few RV permanently parked that do not have a current registration or inspection sticker. If/when you want to put the RV back on the road, make your first stop the inspection place and then to county tax office for registration. Unless something has or will change the tax office will have you sign an affidavit stating you have not had the vehicle on the road since the registration expired.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Hello folks,

Meanwhile, things seem to keep moving quite well regarding Escapees' plans on alternate States besides TX. Just got that in my mailbox, posting it here for the benefit of the folks that aren't SKPs yet (BTW, what are you waiting for? :) ):

With Escapees You Will Always Be Home

If you are a full-time RVer who has sold your home and you no longer have ties to any particular state, selecting an appropriate and beneficial domicile is important. Most experts will agree that there are three top-pick states: Texas, Florida, and South Dakota.

Other states are also friendly toward full-timers, and, of course, personal circumstances can come into play.. For instance, do you need personal health insurance or are you on Medicare? If you still require personal health insurance, South Dakota could pose a problem. Insurance expert Kyle Henson recently alerted RVers, saying, "There are no solid options for health insurance for South Dakota resident RVers."

Thanks to Escapees RV Club and Friesen-Strain Insurance, who fought for and secured insurance options for full-time RVers, there are options in Texas. While th! at is one of the many perks of choosing Texas as your domicile, each state has its own advantages and disadvantages; for example, Florida has no vehicle state inspections.

It is very important to consider your personal needs when choosing a domicile. We recommend that you take advantage of a free consultation with Loring & Associates, PLLC: 800-260-1615 or info@loringlaw.com so you'll be sure you're making the most knowledgeable decision possible.

Escapees: Home

When you select Escapees Mail Service, you are immediately part of the largest private mail service in the country. Decades of experience give us the knowledge and ability to constantly innovate, making us a leader in mail services in Texas and Florida and, coming soon, SOUTH DAKOTA! We are confident that, by offering our members a choice to pick from all three states, we will not only be the top choice in Texas, but the top choice in the industry!

We have always taken steps to ensure that Escapees members are carefully protected and that the services we offer remain well within the boundaries of each state's specific regulations. This is how you know that you will be in the b! est hands when it comes to your mail and domicile.

Escapees Mail Service, established in 1985, has been a leader for 30 years. You won't have to agonize over involuntary address changes with us! And, of course, we constantly strive to improve our services. Here are just some of the FREE services we provide:

-Automatic Package Notifications. You'll know the minute your package arrives.
-Automatic "No Mail" Notifications. No needless waiting on mail--there isn't any!
-Mail (in route) Confirmations. Email message lets you know when your mail is sent.
-Instruction Confirmations. You always know your message was received.

The RV environment is always changing. Isn't it great to know that there is one company that has been with you for three decades? We have never wavered in our commitment to our members--offering a permanent mail service solution regardless of where you roam. We've got your back!

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

To All SKPs,

I want to bring you the latest information about the single sticker issue. I recently met with the Polk County Tax Office and received some new information.

RVers, military, truckers, college students, and contractors will be able to renew the registration of their vehicles without having to return to the state. The process will be available online or by mail. When renewing the registration, the owners will “self certify” that they are out of state. For the “self certify” by mail, it can be a simple note that you are out of state. For the online registrations, the process hasn’t been worked out yet. The clerks will then override the system to allow the renewal to take place. Once the vehicle re-enters the state, the vehicle will need to be inspected within 72 hours or face the possibility of receiving a citation.

Many DPS driver license offices and motor vehicle inspection sticker stations are not aware of this allowance and are telling motorists that they will have to return to the state for inspection before renewal. They haven’t gotten the word yet, but will in the future.

Another interesting point to the new procedure is that the inspection stations will only collect their fee for the cost of the inspection. The state’s portion of the fee will be collected at the time of registration.

In the next several months, Polk County officials will be attending more meetings on this subject. As I receive any information, I will pass it along to you.

Jim Koca

RV Advocacy Director

To All SKPs,

I want to bring you the latest information about the single sticker issue. I recently met with the Polk County Tax Office and received some new information.

RVers, military, truckers, college students, and contractors will be able to renew the registration of their vehicles without having to return to the state. The process will be available online or by mail. When renewing the registration, the owners will “self certify” that they are out of state. For the “self certify” by mail, it can be a simple note that you are out of state. For the online registrations, the process hasn’t been worked out yet. The clerks will then override the system to allow the renewal to take place. Once the vehicle re-enters the state, the vehicle will need to be inspected within 72 hours or face the possibility of receiving a citation.

Many DPS driver license offices and motor vehicle inspection sticker stations are not aware of this allowance and are telling motorists that they will have to return to the state for inspection before renewal. They haven’t gotten the word yet, but will in the future.

Another interesting point to the new procedure is that the inspection stations will only collect their fee for the cost of the inspection. The state’s portion of the fee will be collected at the time of registration.

In the next several months, Polk County officials will be attending more meetings on this subject. As I receive any information, I will pass it along to you.

Jim Koca

RV Advocacy Director

Jim,

Thanks for the update.

Is there any way the Polk County officials could provide a reference number or link to the instructions the tax office people reference?

For the minority of Escapees who don't register their vehicles in Polk county, trying to convince someone in a tax office that a lay person knows more than the tax office person is usually very difficult. Some way to point them to their own documentation would be really helpful.

The ideal solution would be is a TXDOT form called something like "Out of State Self Certify" that we can print out and mail. Of course when the online stuff becomes available the form won't be necessary.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Dear SKPs,

The procedures for "self certify" are to be state wide. All Tax Offices in the state go to the same meetings as the Polk Countyofficials. As soon as I get more information, section numbers, page numbers or a copy of the procedures, I will pass them on to you.

As far as the state charging their part of the inspection sticker, it is my understanding that it will be charged when you get the vehicle inspected, then get the vehicle re-registered. If the tax office over rides the system, it will not charge the state's part of the inspection fee. The charge will only occur when it has been inspected before registration.

Sometime in late October, the State will bring on line a web site that will explain the single sticker procedures. It may or may not explain the out of state over ride. As soon as the site is available, I will post it on the forum.

Jim Koca

RV Advocacy Director

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to take this time to let you know the progress of the "Inspection Sticker Issue"

The new web site is up and running and it may answer some questions you may have on registering and the inspection process.

The web site is: www.twostepsonesticker.com.

For those traveling away from the state - from the web site:

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

Special Circumstances Out of State Motorists

If your vehicle is out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you will be able to self-certify that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register. The self-certification process will be limited to:

• Active duty military
  • Full-time students
  • Seasonal Texans, RV’ers
  • Apportioned vehicles
  • Elected Congressional officials

You will be able to renew your registration using self-certification online, by mail or in-person. Please contact your county tax office for more information about their requirements for out-of-state registration renewal. To find the contact information for your county of residence, please visit the TxDMV website.

If you renew your vehicle registration using the out-of-state self-certification option, a remark will be placed on your vehicle record indicating that an inspection is still due. Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination. It is very important that you keep the VIR issued after completing your inspection in case you are stopped by law enforcement before the remark is removed from your vehicle record, which takes about 48 hours. The remark will only be removed upon payment of the state’s portion of the inspection fee and verification of a current, passing inspection.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The change that I see is that once you get back to Texas you will have 3 days to get the RV inspected instead of 7 days that was stated in the meetings that I attended.

Bottom line - As RVers, we will be able to renew the registration without coming back for the inspection.

Thanks

Jim Koca

RV Advocacy Director

You don't have to wait till you get "home" for inspection. You can get it anywhere in the state With the exception of those who live in areas that require emissions testing. IE: I am a Polk Cty. resident but had my last inspection done in Texarkana.

Would you happen to remember where in Texarkana you had an inspection I got a warning ticket on my way out of TX last spring so I will want to get an inspection when I re-enter in Nov. Will be traveling on I-30. Thanks.

Jack H

Jack B

Question? My registration expires 3/15. My sticker expired 4/4. I re-entered the state yesterday 10/31 I need to get my inspection done, When I re-new my registration in 3/15 am I going to be charged for a sticker when I have a current one on the truck?

Jim

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

Back to the new law set to take effect in March 2015.

Certainly it is good that there will be a way to register/self-certify while out of state when needed.

Another option for those who can or may return to the great state of Texas (home of Whataburger) on a regular yearly basis is to change the registration expiration date of all your vehicles to the same month when you regularly return.

Some of the clerks are unaware that it is possible to do this because it is not something they normally do but if you kindly ask and explain why, most often they will check with a supervisor and learn that it is possible.

I just completed the third and final vehicle change for us on the phone Friday. So, now all three registered vehicles with which we travel now expire the end of December.

I did the first two vehicles last winter - one at the main Travis county office and another at an county extension office.

This change can only be done within a 90 day window prior to your current expiration date and you will have to pay the prorated extra months when moving the date.

So, if you have a time when you might regularly return to the great state of Texas this is an option. It can be done in the office or on the phone but again be prepared for the initial response to be "we can't do that - it is assigned when you first register the vehicle". This is normally true but it is possible to change for a good reason. Courtesy, kindness, patience, a clear explanation, and a humble request should get the ball rolling. If the clerk is stubborn or uncaring/indifferent, then a thank you, have a good day, and another call (or a different office/location visit) to get a different clerk should do the job. Usually their first response is that we can only change it if you wait until it expires. This will not work and is a faulty solution. It is just because the clerk is unaware of the better way since it is rarely done. Supervisors and a few learned clerks are aware.

I had all of these experiences during this process over the past year. Referring to the new law and why you want to change the registration expiration date is very helpful, now that the clerks are more aware of the upcoming changes.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |