wild trouble codes

SnaykeByte

I guess I'm the only one in the world that can't afford a new truck, guess I'll just scrap it. Thanks for all the help guys.

"JOE DIRT"--1994 Volvo WIA64TES VED12, 425HP, SUPER 10, SINGLED, 370 REARS, DOMETIC AUXILLARY A/C, ONAN QD10000 GENNY
2006 Fleetwood Wilderness Advantage AX6 40ft
"I'm not in right now.......I'm out finding myself. If I get back before I return, leave me a message and one of us will get back to you..??"

I'm right 97% of the time.........and nobody cares about the other 4%

• 2 months later...

Update.....Found a loose connection on one of my brand new battery cable connectors in that the bolt that is cast in the lead adapter had an air pocket around it when it was cast resulting in a poor casting and allowing the bolt head to turn thus loosening the connection. That particular connection was for the wire that supplies the engine plate and subsequently the ECM. I replaced all connections and was sure I fixed the problem.................RIGHT?? WRONG! Did it a few more times and sent me back to the drawing board and wiring diagram. Finally I took the ECM relay off of the engine plate like Scrap and others suggested and took it apart to have a look. Contacts were perfect with no sign of corrosion anywhere but for $15 I replaced it anyway. It looks to me like the relay had been taken out of it's plastic housing before like someone before me was trying to track something down too. Picked my dad up for a shotgun rider and drove it 40 miles and WHAM, did it again! It shut down 6 more times before I could get it home. Any more ideas anyone?

"JOE DIRT"--1994 Volvo WIA64TES VED12, 425HP, SUPER 10, SINGLED, 370 REARS, DOMETIC AUXILLARY A/C, ONAN QD10000 GENNY
"I'm not in right now.......I'm out finding myself. If I get back before I return, leave me a message and one of us will get back to you..??"

There are 2 wires that power ECM on pins 11 and 12 of EB2 connector. The ECM relay output splices and feeds these 2 wires. My next idea is to track dpwn that splice.

YOu may want to start applying wiggle test. Try wiggling and pulling on everything you can think of to see if you can cause the shutdown. Can you hook a meter up to the ECM power pins and monitor it from the cab? Maybe you are on the wrong "path". I didn't reread your whole post, but the ECM modules that old can fail in weird ways. Quitting while hot, and than needing 15 minutes or so to restart sounds like a electronic module failure. A lot.

There are two stories that come to mind:

The new CAT crawler that would die after about 15 minutes of operation. The 16th Service Tech finally found the problem by wiggling on the wiring in each connection. A single pin had the wings crimped around the insulation rather than the bare wire...and when the connector warmed up it would break. I heard this story from the above tech--now retired. Wow does he have the stories.

My 6.5L GMC diesel would die a couple times 1-5 minutes after starting. Wait a minute, run the electric fuel pump, and it would start back up. As soon as you got it going good, and the engine warmed up a bit, it would run fine. Air leak in the fuel line, right? NOPE. The electronic pump control module. This is one of the few times I've heard of an electronic module failing "cold", but working "hot".

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I have wiggled everything that can wiggle and some things that shouldn't. I have closely examined both og the 36 pin connectors at the ECM and found nothing. As soon as our goofy weather breaks I'm gonna tear back into the harness and see if I can find anything.

See If you have a shop close that has a test ECM. I fought mine last year doing the same thing. Spent hours chasing wires. Finally broke down and had towed to the shop. They were able to get a test ECM, swap it out and drive the truck. All fixed. So 4k later my truck was running like a top again and has not hiccuped since. Hopefully yours is something different but your symptoms certainly sound like a module, especially since it works when cool.

another possibility is oil or coolant leaking into the ECM.

check above and around the ECM and see if you got any oil or coolant leaking.

ive seen probably 5 Ved12 motors from 97-2000 that leak oil above the ECM and runs onto and over the ECM

on at least 2 have had ECMS replaced due to the oil leaking into the ECM and causing different issues.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

another possibility is oil or coolant leaking into the ECM.

check above and around the ECM and see if you got any oil or coolant leaking.

ive seen probably 5 Ved12 motors from 97-2000 that leak oil above the ECM and runs onto and over the ECM

on at least 2 have had ECMS replaced due to the oil leaking into the ECM and causing different issues.

Nope, no leaks ever dry as a bone all over even oil pan is dry.

Archived