I need ideas on a mast for a TT

doctorlock

I have been trying to come up with an idea for an "easy up, easy down" mast, I'm a full time RVer. My rig is a 28 Travel trailer, IC 7000, and a Shakespeare 23 ft vertical feeding just over the roof top. Now for the question,I want to use a COMET CHV-5X (that I have) on the nose of the trailer. After a long search for a "light weight" sturdy mast that would shrink to under 8 ft. for transport, not finding anything I could do myself easily. The idea I have is to use the 25 ft. telescoping flagpole for $ 80 delivered. With that they also sell a base plate ($40) that would go under the wheel of the vehicle to use portable flag, tailgating. I would use that base plate under the nose jack and fabricate another mount secured to the frame for stability. I think the pole could handle the wind load and be able to lower in minutes if needed. Please respond with any and all suggestions, experiences etc.

Thanks and 73's

Bill

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bill

I hope you are ready for a far out plan. Most TT are not 8.5 feet wide. Mount a swivel on the side of the TT far enough from one end that when the pole is up the bottom of the pole is on the ground and when it is down the end from the ground is even with the end of the TT. That allows you a good leaver to lower the ant. and you can disconnect it at the other end of the TT. The pole can stay on the swivel and side of the TT.

good luck

safe travel

Glyn KL0PG

• 10 months later...

Bill, when I was a Novice back in the 70's, I made a verticle using a TV mast pole. I built a cage (cross section measuring at 10" on each side) with a platform about two feet from the lower end and a solid platform on the top with a hole the size of the mast. Overall height was 4' or so. The cage was embedded in the ground and I used guys with appropriate insulators to keep them from modulating. The mast rested on an old glass insulator on the bottom platform. I tell you all that to suggest a wooden cage like mine and mount the lower end of the cage on a swivel on the lower edge of your TT. On the top edge of your TT, mount a small "stop" to hold the cage in a verticle position. From a step ladder or from the top of your TT, you could push each section of the mast up and lock it in place with the next larger section by set screw. I would also suggest using at least 3 guys to help with the load factor. My verticle had no ground radials, but I was able to work South America and California from Maryland where I was at the time, without problem. E-mail me if you want more info.

73s

Walt W5WRB

W5WRB@juno.com

• 2 weeks later...

Nice flagpoles if that works for you, ours is over 20 years old and aside from needing a couple new plastic rings that died from sun exposure it has been perfect.

http://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/the-original-telescoping-flagpole.html

They have nice mounting options too, hitch, under-wheel or several bases you could mount other places.

http://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/flagpole-mounting-hardware.html

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived