2014 Flaming Gorge NRA Volunteer Opp.

I am currently working on scheduling the 2014 season and figured I would let you guys know since there was some interest from the forum last season.

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area – Ashley National Forest

Red Canyon Visitor Center

Nearest Town: Dutch John, UT

Opportunity Type: Visitor Center Attendant

Host Site Services Provided:

• Full Hookup Site
  • Uniform
  • Laundry Facilities
  • Reimbursement for subsistence (if applicable) and official mileage to and from the work site are provided.
  • WIFI at the Visitor Center

Duties:
We are looking for customer service oriented individuals to provide information to the public regarding recreational opportunities of the Flaming Gorge NRA and the surrounding area. Volunteers will be interacting with the public by leading tours, providing information about the area, and answering questions. Given the nature of the position good communication and public relation skills are desired. Generally volunteers are on 4 days a week and around 7 hours per day worked. Scheduling varies on the number of volunteers on hand.

I normally try to keep the VC open on the weekend during the off-season and overall this is a fun VC to be at. If you enjoy meeting foreign visitors and having big horn sheep roam around your camper and the VC this would be a rewarding place for you to consider. There are restrooms duties associated with this position, but generally only light cleaning is needed.

Position Availability:
May through September

Position Duration:
Minimum 2 Months
Preferred Mid May through Labor Day weekend
MpFahVc.jpg

Main viewing area of the RCVC

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area – Ashley National Forest

Spillway and Little Hole Boat Launch

Nearest Town: Dutch John, UT

Opportunity Type: Day Use Area Hosts

Host Site Services Provided:

• Full Hookup Site
  • Uniform
  • Laundry Facilities
  • Reimbursement for subsistence (if applicable) and official mileage to and from the work site are provided.
  • WIFI at the Visitor Center and Dutch John Office

Duties:
Volunteers will staff river information booths and provide information, collect data, and sell Use Passes to visitors. Volunteers will also assist with launch ramp operations ensuring that traffic coming in and out of these busy areas is done in a safe and orderly manner. Volunteers operating the ramp must be in good physical condition and have good communication skills, as these are high visitation areas. Generally volunteers are on 4 days a week and around 7 hours per day worked. Scheduling varies on the number of volunteers on hand.

I help out at the boat launches regularly and to me and its very rewarding to watch the public look in amazement as they prepare to traverse a very beautiful stretch of river.

Position Availability:
May through September

Position Duration:
Minimum 3 months
Preferred Mid May through Labor Day weekend
HMXowcy.jpg

Little Hole

Ranger District Office Name and Address:
Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area
PO Box 325
Dutch John, UT

Volunteer Coordinator: Christopher Nichols

Contact Telephone No: 435-781-5241

Contact E-Mail Address: cdnichols@fs.fed.us

Have a great day!laugh.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yesterday, we had two cancellations for both the river and the visitor center(health related but i'm sure the Dr's will take care of them so they can join us next year! :D ) So if anyone is looking to book any last minute summer trips we have an opportunity for the visitor center and the green river available. Feel Free to Call or email 435-781-5241 (cdnichols@fs.fed.us)

Thanks for posting. You will make someone's day with this opportunity.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 7 months later...

Is this for the 2015 season? Do you take singles or couples only?

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Is this for the 2015 season? Do you take singles or couples only?

I think that you will find that the majority of public lands agencies, whether state of federal, do accept singles. In some cases they may ask for longer hours for a single, but not twice as many. As an example, we have been at several locations where they asked for 24 hr/person or 32 hr. for a single. We have found that county parks it will depend upon the county involved.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can't wait to have you guys roll in :)

We are looking to be pretty well staffed for the summer here at the gorge but if anyone is looking for a place to go we are still looking for volunteers for our river program. We may be able to provide housing if there are any volunteers out there without a camper or who just want to travel without a major gas bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately we have had a 2 couples back out for the summer due to health concerns. I currently have 4 people for the river and 3 couples for the Visitor Center, however, I wouldn't mind adding 1 more couple to both sides. If you happen to know anyone still looking for a place for the summer please let them know that we are still looking here. It would also be possible to provide housing at our volunteer duplex as well if they did not have an lodging or their own(or if they wanted to save some gas). If you know of anyone who may be interested have them contact my email cdnichols@fs.fed.us or call 435-781-5241.

Even though the weather is still favoring winter I can feel that summer will sneak up on us faster than we can blink and with a newly remodeled visitor center we should have a great one! J

We are working in Yellowstone again this summer, but have camped there before. It was supposed to be 1 night ended up a week. Beautiful area, great fishing...if on the fence about this spot, jump in you won't be disappointed. B)B)

Happy Trails,

06 Monaco Dynasty//07 Hummer H3

• 6 months later...

We're now wrapping up our 2nd week at the Visitor Center and while we are new to the volunteering gig, we can honestly say this one is probably one of the best to get started with. Tourist traffic is light, the area virtually demands you to explore and learn and there is enough wildlife around to keep it all interesting day to day. Oh, and the food at the local lodges is not bad either.

We're blogging about our stay if you would like to read up on what seems to be a little known attraction outside of locals and oddly enough, foreign tourists. CnD Travels

post-30556-0-06240800-1442152799_thumb.jpg

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

• 1 month later...

We're now wrapping up our 2nd week at the Visitor Center and while we are new to the volunteering gig, we can honestly say this one is probably one of the best to get started with. Tourist traffic is light, the area virtually demands you to explore and learn and there is enough wildlife around to keep it all interesting day to day. Oh, and the food at the local lodges is not bad either.

We're blogging about our stay if you would like to read up on what seems to be a little known attraction outside of locals and oddly enough, foreign tourists. CnD Travels

attachicon.gifsheep_rams.jpg

Well we'll kick it up a notch with the traffic when were are working the river next year :P

Btw I've had no luck on locating your drone. We did a controlled burn through there a few weeks ago and no one saw it. The next day we had a freak wind storm that should have blown it out but if it did it may have turned into a melted blob of plastic :huh: because the fire picked up a bit more than expected.

gnv7x2D.jpg

• 8 months later...

Due to some unforeseen health issues we had a volunteer that had to go home early this season. If anyone is look for a last minute summer volunteer opportunity we are looking for someone who will be spending most of their time at a historic Swett Ranch and may work the visitor center from time to time as well :)

I will be out and about prepping for the Holiday this weekend and will not be able to watch the forums regularly so please call my office phone at (435)781-5241 or email me at cdnichols@fs.fed.us

Archived