LFDR3116

Our dog Pandi is small. 7-8 lbs. She is currently on Trifexis for heartworm, parasites and fleas. When Interceptor was available I used that because it has protection for whipworm, which she has had. We used frontline plus for fleas & tics The Trifexis is the only other treatment that includes whipworm protection.

Has anyone run across any stand alone tic protection? I purchased a tic collar from a local vet that is a one size fits all, cut to proper length - $25.00. Cut to length, great, but it is so wide there is no room on her neck for her regular collar. It's also supposed to be tight and against the skin. She has so much hair it can't get down to her skin (hair is very thick around the neck). I'm afraid to give/use 2 products that contain flea meds as she is so small that double exposure to flea stuff can't be good.

Any ideas?

Pat DeJong

OK thanks, that was what I did when I got the tic collar. Only 1 vet in this area. Thought maybe someone out there had a suggestions from their own vet for something that would work. I guess I'll have to wait until we get back in a more populated area with perhaps more experienced/exposed vets to find something.

Pat DeJong

I volunteer at a local Animal Rescue Organization where tics are a regular occurrence. Their approach is to just check the dog every day or two. Tics are quite easy to spot, especially in a small dog. I don't know of any medication that will kill tics that isn't also formulated for fleas. So until you can talk to a Vet that has some good ideas I would just keep a close watch and immediately remove any tics you find.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Pat,

In my opinion, you are wise to be concerned about the cumulative affects and interactions of various medications on your dog. The smaller the animal, sometimes the greater risk of overdose or problems. However, just because two products will control fleas that does not necessarily mean that they will interact. Products with similar modes of action are more likely to result in problems. Here is some information about the mode of action of Trifexis if you are not familiar with it.

I think you are wise to consult a Vet about the particular combinations to use. In the mean time, the issue is addressed at this website: "I believe the best companion product to Trifexis is the Preventic collar by Virbac. I have been recommending this product for 15 years now, and it has really withstood the test of time. When it comes to killing ticks, we believe it has superior performance to any topical product. Many of our clients/patients travel to our local lakes for the weekend, and because ticks are a greater threat in these wooded environments, we recommend applying the collar 24 hrs before they leave, and then removing the collar on their trip back. Place the collar in a zip lock bag, and its ready to go for the next time your pet is at risk for ticks. Its important to remember that the Preventic collar is only designed for use in dogs and can be very toxic to cats. Like many topical products, if you dog gets in the water, its efficacy against ticks will decrease for 24 hours."

Ticks are difficult to completely protect against if you are in an area where there are a lot of them. I have had my hunting dogs get into a newly hatched egg mass and have hundreds of pin point size larvae all over them. You said that you tried a collar, but didn't say which one. Many years ago my Vet recommended Preventic. The same one recommended above. It works fairly well, but is not perfect.

Cabelas use to sell an aerosol permanone tick repellant for dogs, but I could not find it on their website. It worked OK, but did not last near as long as the labelling said it should. There have been problems identified with some of the topical products, especially some of the "spot treatments". My dogs are on Heartguard. For the past couple of years, at the recommendation of my Vet, I have been using Frontline. It is now available at Walmart in both name brand and generic. It is not perfect. However; my dogs are out in the field five to six days a week, rain or shine and often in and out of water several times a day.

Hope you find a good solution for Pandi!

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Thanks everyone. It was the Preventic by Virbac that I had purchased. Used their spray product in a house for fleas once and love their products. However as described above, it will not work for her to wear all the time. As we are camp hosts at various campgrounds, she is in the woods a lot although we do try to keep her our of the weeds. She is very hairy (beautiful coat) black and white with the majority being black. That makes it harder to spot ticks on her. At least her belly is white .... We will continue checking her as we have found only 1 so far. We leave here in a few days and now go home to MI where Lyme disease is more of a problem from tic bites. Will get her vaccinated for that when we get there and see what we can do about the tic protection. Perhaps the preventic collar will work if not against the skin as instructions state, will ask the vet about that too.

Pat DeJong

Pat,

It has been a while so I do not remember how strong the Preventic collar is, but your dog is fairly small. Any chance you could splice in an O-Ring D-Ring to attach tags and leash to. The dogs I used the Preventic collars on, a Golden Retriever and English Setter were both very furry monsters. As I said it seemed to work fairly well.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

• 2 months later...

post-30874-0-86880600-1372087847_thumb.jpg

I use Cedarcide on my two cats. It is an external spray that you just lightly spritz on. It is safe for people, kids and pets. I also spritz some on whatever furniture my cats tend to perch on. I also spritz it on myself - keeps chiggers, ticks, and fleas off. This was made for the troops in the desert combat areas. I've used it for years. The ticks were so bad here this year that I had to add one of the systemic products, but as soon as the ticks reduce their numbers some, I will discontinue the systemic product. You can read all the FAQs on their website. This stuff really works without damaging your pet's nervous system.

Archived