Pets on the road.

Welcome to the new RVing with pets section, and since it's new, let me get the ball rolling by saying I have what some would call a tiny RV, a 29ft Safari Trek and I travel with 4 dogs, 3 now very spoiled tiger salamanders and two crested gecko's. Luckily my reptiles/amphibians aren't the type that require uv spectrum lighting so while on the road they can happily travel in slightly smaller living quarters than they're used to back at our stix and brix house.

I'd love to hear if anyone else is traveling with exotics and how you over came the issues of such. I would personally love to have either a veiled or Jackson's chameleon but so far they require way too much husbandry time for me to pull it off successfully.

-Forum Administrator-

Our travel group includes a 13.5 year female miniature schnauzer, a 3.5 year old female standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot.

The parrot travels well. We just have make sure he is not left in a sunny window and is out of drafts. You also need to be careful of aerosols and excessive heating of Teflon pans.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

No exotics at our rig, but we do have to senior doxies that keep us company and provide us with wonderful entertainment. Our neighbors travel with a cockatiel and he loves it. Gets all excited when he sees things being made ready to go.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

Nothing exotic here either. We had 2 miniature senior doxie's when we started this venture in spring 2011. They both have passed away from old age complications - Riley was 12 1/2 and Kelsey was 16. We now have a little Japanese Chin (spaniel) named Pandi, who is 8 years old. She is a sweetheart. Because we adopted her after becoming full-timers, the motorhome is the only home she has had with us. She travels well, loves people and other dogs, and seldom barks. She is a perfect travel companion and camp host dog.

Pat DeJong

We travel with 4(yes, count them 4) Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, all of them rescued from different organizations ranging in age from 3-8 years. They love to travel and we enjoy their company. For those who are always worried about the Temp within the RV on those occassions when the "kids" are left behind, I just installed a Temp alarm and Blue tooth device along with an activated old cell phone....if the power goes off or the temp increases over your set point, it calls up to three numbers to make notifications. Ive tested it and it works Great.

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

We were recently adopted by a stray black male tomcat that was roaming the RV park we're workamping in. He is cool little dude; now he's fat, happy and we're tripping over cat toys in the way to the coffee maker. But we are very happy we kept him. :)

Kellie & George Roberts

'94 Bluebird Wanderlodge ~ No Reservations

'08 Jeep Sahara 4x4

SKP #106686

~A ton of regret never made an ounce of difference~

Not A Moment Too Soon

When we started fulltiming in 1998, we traveled with Maxx, our tri-color Basenji (pictured in my Avatar). He was 3 years old when we started and traveled with us until 2010 when we had to have him put down. We now travel with a Brussels Griffon, Gracie, and a red and white Basenji, Blaze.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We have helped 4 stray that were in the campground find a home in 2 seasons here. We are in the forest with coyotes and other creatures, and I sure worry about them until we can catch them. There are also 2 cats we have seen, but we cannot get either of them to come near us. The do not appear to be ferral , just cautious. Any ideas on how to get kitties to come to you. They always run away while I am getting food/water for them. If I leave it out, I'm not sure who is eating the food. It could be racoons!

Pat DeJong

We travel with 5 cats, we figured that just because our lifestyle changed, they should not have to go to a shelter. They have adapted quite well, they love to sit by the windows and take in the sights and absorb the sun. They now look at this lifestyle as normal, so now everyone is happy.

<p>Greg and AggieLife is what happens when you're making plans to do something else !

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360

I wish I knew Pete & Pat. Several other workamper couples at our job in Vidalia attempted to lure out the family of ferals that live in a city equipment yard next door to the storage end of that campground. They would never near any food until the people were gone or several hundred yards away :(

The little tom we rescued had been running with & hunting at night with a few of those ferals. In fact, when he appeared at our family cookout that night, Si barged right up on the table & talked all about helping me finish the Tbone I was having. LOL But the beautiful long haired calico would never do anything but look out from under our coach. I still tossed her scraps, but she grabbed them & disappeared into the night. Si decided to spend the night. :D Of course, our vet concurred with our thoughts that Si was not remotely feral no matter what company he was keeping. He was either a dumper or an un-tagged, un-microchipped runaway.

We have helped 4 stray that were in the campground find a home in 2 seasons here. We are in the forest with coyotes and other creatures, and I sure worry about them until we can catch them. There are also 2 cats we have seen, but we cannot get either of them to come near us. The do not appear to be ferral , just cautious. Any ideas on how to get kitties to come to you. They always run away while I am getting food/water for them. If I leave it out, I'm not sure who is eating the food. It could be racoons!

Kellie & George Roberts

'94 Bluebird Wanderlodge ~ No Reservations

'08 Jeep Sahara 4x4

SKP #106686

~A ton of regret never made an ounce of difference~

Not A Moment Too Soon

Well I haven't seen kitty for a couple of days now. Last time I did it went behind a pile of parking timbers and watched while I put some food out. The food was still there the next morning, but gone later that day. I had hoped kitty would come out of hiding and eat it after I left the area. I doubt we will be able to do anything to help it ( I think it's a she - just looks like a she) as we will be leaving here in a few days, but you never know.

Pat DeJong

We travel with a 13 pound long haired Dachs plus an 80 pound Collie/Flatcoated Retriever (or Newfie?) in a 24' Winnebago View. The 80 pounder loves everyone and every creature. Well, the little guy... he's shy and not so wild about dogs larger than him. Despite that, our "pack" travels well with us and the big dog serves as a deterrent for those individuals up to no good!

Dave
Lisa
2 Canine Kids: Molly the Flatcoated Retriever/Coillie and Murray the Longhaired Dachshund

Cruising the Vistas in:
2009 Winnebago View 24H (2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 CRD chassis)

No Toad... for now

I can't remember who it was, but several years ago we met a couple of Escapees who were traveling with three macaws. I can recall knowing of one RV that had a couple of snakes for pets and one with a large fish tank. I don't think that there are a lot of exotic animals on the road.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We started out with 3 dogs and 3 parrots. We the green cheek conure passed away, The amazon fell in love with the cockatoo and went back to the rescue (still miss that bird). Now we just have the Citron crested cockatoo, border collie mix 12 years, Sharpei mix 6 years, and little terrier/corgi mix 5 years. They have all adjusted well to traveling. The little dog does bark but if it gets annoying we bring them into the trailer. The cockatoo is fairly quiet and lives in a wire dog cage. When outside he has a stand inside a screen tent.

I'm not sure I could live without at least 2 animals.

Tom & Tessa

2005 Tundra, 2010 Jayflight 22FB

2012 Mazda 2.

Truffles, Autumn, Chloe & Simon

Broke and Going

Have visited

Racoon Valley, Rainbow Plantation, The Ranch,

Lone Star Corral, Tra-Park, Dream Catcher

2iqijpd.jpg

Just Molly, our little Maltese. She used to travel harnessed in her pet carrier with her dogels on, on the back of our Harleys (see my avatar).....now she sits up on the console of our F-250. Always with us no matter where we go and she never complains.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

We travel with two beagles. Both are extremely friendly and the boy loves to socialize with other dogs one I let him get properly introduced. We have had motorhomes as long as we have had both dogs and if I don't close the door in the garage fast enough and the motorhome door is open they both make a dash for the motorhome. They each travel in a crate and they trained us that they get into the crate without a fuss if we give them a doggie cookie. We learned well.

Chris & Joni
The Beagles now 3 Daphne, Ace and Flash
looking
2016 Acura MDX

http://jnctravelogue.wordpress.com

• 3 months later...

3 English Cocker Birddogs in our 25ft. Airstream Excella. If my dogs are not welcome neither am I !!! Steal my money I'm pissed, mess with my wife and you will probably get hurt... Screw with my dogs and ya may not see tomorrow! Raised and trained beagle rabbit dogs for 25 years then got into the birddogs heavy... Selling out our Hunting Preserve and full timing starting in January! Gona Thaw out in the Keys for a few months then into the Mts. till another winter sets in... Ten back to the Tarpon, Permit & Bonefish...<br />Joe & Kay Valone and The Amazing Crazy Mazie, Sir. Mr. Nutty Buddy & their daughter The Mighty Minnie Me... Pheasantontheflats.com

Joe & Karen Valone

The Amazing Crazy Mazie

Sir. Mr. Nutty Buddy

and their daughter The Mighty Minnie Me

Pheasants on the Flats

NYS Class A Licensed Shooting Preserve

Batavia, NY

• 2 months later...

We travel with three small dogs...Libby the Jack Russell, Oprah a minature poodle, Mandie a toy poodle. All of them are rescues.....

They love the RV and get crazy when we talk about going in the BIG truck. They are wonderful company for us and always create great conversation when meeting new people.

:)

Craig and Sue
Libby, Oprah and Mandie
2001 Ford F650 Supercruzer
2006 Royals International 38' Monarch
www.ourfiveradventures.blogspot.com

Not happy this morning. I saw a lady at the RV park I'm in let her dog get away from her and head for the street where it got hit. The dog is now at the vet and they owner is in hysterics. I beg all of you, even if your dog is on a lead all the time like this one was that you teach them not to bolt or run into a street for any reason.

Definitely not happy seeing something like this.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

Aw, sorry you had to see that. Our little one is not a runner thank goodness. She had been taught well before we got her and we just reinforced her prior training again. She will not go out the door without permission and then once outside, she stays on our patio rug unless she has permission ---- that is except if she sees a squirrel. Have not been able to get 100% compliance on that. We're at about 80% of the time she just watches. Don't know what makes her go the other 20%. We'll keep working on it though. Usually has a leash on though.

Pat DeJong

• 3 months later...

Ours always rode in the fiver, they hated the truck and had to be caged to keep them from escaping. In the fiver they went under the chairs when we started to move and stayed there until the slides came out at our destination. In an earlier fiver that wasn't cat safe (slides could crush one) we had to cage the cats in the fiver for travel.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived