Our first rally! PLUS: questions for "younger" RVers

The 'younger' crowd (and even some oldies) have joined the Escapee Boomer's group. They are VERY active with their activities and many of them still work. A good place to try out the group is at Quartzsite during the RV Show time mid-January Look in the Escapees' magazine under BOF groups. There are approx. 400 members. There are about 150 rigs attending Quartzsite and the activities are non-stop from 4-wheeling, hiking, biking, ATVing, geocaching, many excellent discussion groups, etc. They boondock together for the 2-week period although most don't stay the whole time. You just come and leave whenever. They have their own Yahoo Group and communicate as to who is where throughout the year and they meet up in other places on a smaller scale. They are really a fun group and we've made lasting friendships through the Boomers.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I wish the gatherings for these groups...boomers and solos took place a bit more in the center of the US. Being from WI and still working part time plus having volunteer commitments in winter makes it hard to travel so far. I keep looking for a volunteer assignment on in the west.

My wife and I are in our early to mid 50's. As I look for RV groups, I see that many groups schedule meetings on weekdays (during work hours), and events over a couple week period that would not be conducive to my work schedule. We are in the "long weekend" camping mode right now since that fits our schedule. We camp in some of the Florida state parks, or local campgrounds, which for us includes Disney's Fort Wilderness. However, I see no activities related to short term gatherings centered around weekends for those who do need to work. That's not a criticism at all, since when I do retire, we plan on taking longer trips. We are planning a long trip in September from Florida to the Grand Canyon and Moab, UT, but that will be our vacation for the year. Also, as stated in previous messages, looking at the pictures of various activities shows the large age difference as well as differences in activities between the members of the groups and people my age or especially younger. It's a tough situation because it is kind of a vicious circle; the pictures show an older group because younger people aren't being attracted, but younger people aren't being attracted because it looks like a group for older people.

My mother and father in law used to belong to the Airstream caravan groups where there would be a group of people traveling to a desitination and return. The trips were not very long, nor were they a huge gathering, but opportunities for people of like interests to travel together. Perhaps some sort of forum for people to reach out and compare available schedules, destinations of interest, and some info on each other for the purposes of planning small trips to different destinations comprised of those whose interests and schedules match.

I think that there is plenty of interest for younger people to join a camping group; but the perception is there is not a group that fits. Not totally sure how to fix that, but wanted to provide some thoughts. I've even thought of looking to start a group at our church for campers. We have one for riding motorcycles that meets once a month and does well, so why not camping?

Doug

While it isn't a good fit for folks that travel a lot there is the Good Sam club with their local chapters. It never worked for us due to their many rules but it might be something you could get some good out of while you are still working. Take the time to research any chapter you are interested in and visit a couple rallies as a guest before committing to make sure you will fit in with them, can meet their requirements and will enjoy what they do.

Escapees chapters have a lot less of the rules and such which we found fantastic but finding local rallies over a weekend can be a bit hard. Still most would be happy to have you show up late or leave early if they were going on over a weekend. BoFs also have get togethers or members just plan on hitting the same spot at the same time for an informal good time so check them out.

As a past rally planner I'll admit to a bias against weekends, it was a lot easier to reserve a block of spaces from noon Monday to noon Friday than over a weekend, also much easier to talk a park owner looking at all the empty spaces to give us a nice discount. Another issue was weekend events scheduled for the places we could find to camp, you do not want to share a city park with a concert or a remote boondocking spot with a bunch of weekend party till you pass out types.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

An if you are Escapees member you can always try starting BOF for your age group!

If the elder group have rally's during the week, organize one yourself at the weekend!

In the many organizations I've been associated with over the years thru kids activities. schools, motorcycles, etc,. I've always been of the opinion that if you aren't satisfied with something DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

We've formed, guided and enjoyed groups with specific interests that have been started by individuals with those interests. If you have a need for something you can bet there's more people out there only too willing to join, help, attend.

As the movie line says "If you build it they will come!"

Once it starts it will gather momentum and run itself.

Brian

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

• 6 months later...

You're right, Brian -- if we want something done, we have to do it ourselves. I'm willing to step up to the plate and try to get a group for our demographic started.

For anyone interested, here's the new topic I just posted: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=116240

Please give me your thoughts there. :)

Full-time RVing before retirement: Ardent Camper blog

• 4 weeks later...

Some of us just are not "joiners." We enjoy our own company I guess you could say.

Others out there seem to have a strong need or desire for lots of social interaction. They love to get together in groups settings. We would be as uncomfortable in those social gatherings as the social people would be when isolated and alone.

To each his own as they say. We all march to our own drummer.

Archived