Anyone full timing on 25000 a year?

Max Death

Just to play Devil's advocate:

http://livingstingy.blogspot.com/2011/03/full-time-rving.html

I know it will go over like a lead balloon here, but the man makes some good points.

That has been posted here before. You might want to do a search and find the comments. It is one take on the topic, and not particularly accurate or unbiased. There are a couple of good points in it, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking advice from a Patent Attorney on Jekyll Island about RVing - I think NOT!

It is interesting to read between the lines, you can hear the envy dripping - not everyone is cut out for fulltime RVing.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It is one take on the topic, and not particularly accurate or unbiased. There are a couple of good points in it, though.

Jack, I wasn't presenting that article as Gospel truth, but I do think it gives someone considering full-time RV'ing with some additional points to consider. Im sorry if I posted a link to an article that was common knowledge here.

I'm curious as to why you think his occupation and / or location would invalidate his opinion?

Because his assumptions were crazy. He clearly had no idea how most people fulltime, he picked examples that would lead to problems. For example:

I, on the other hand, live on a retirement island, and see firsthand what happens to the 70-year-olds when they can no longer RV. Another neighbor bought a $320,000 coach six years ago. Her husband died and it is for sale now, for $104.000 and she owes $160,000 on the loan. This is what happens.

Now how many of us are (1) living on a retirement island, and (2) purchasing a $320K motorhome in addition to having a retirement home.

And there are other assorted examples. He seems to think that his occupation and where he lives are important since he lists it on his blog - as a way of giving credibility to what he says. Since this forum has a significant number of fulltimers who have done so successfully for numbers of years on a reasonable amount of money while making sure other funds are available for their next adventures, I think that maybe, just maybe, the knowledge here is more to the point.

And as far as pointing out problems, I think if you looked back through posts about finances on this forum (and other fulltiming forums) you would see that it is usually very basic, very common sense, and a lot of caution is given when people have pie-in-the-sky ideas of how to fulltime on nothing. We really are a pretty practable bunch.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

...Im sorry if I posted a link to an article that was common knowledge here...

I don't think you need to apologize for anything. The article was originally written in March of 2011. I have never seen it before. When I used this forum's search for the url and another for "livingstingy" this was the only topic that showed up. I'm not sure how far back the archives even go after the latest updates to the forum, but it is my understanding that at least some older posts are no longer accessible. If a topic was only allowed to be discussed once, there would be a lot less new topics on this forum.

I'm curious as to why you think his occupation and / or location would invalidate his opinion?

Because his assumptions were crazy.

Im still not sure how his occupation and where he lives causes his opinion to be invalidated or relate to his assumptions being "crazy" but I guess it somehow makes sense in your mind.

I will agree that his example was structured to result in failure but when I was looking for our RV several years ago we looked at many in which the owners were in a very similar situation - deceased spouse forcing a sale at a bad time and other owners who were in forced sale positions and owed more than the RV's were worth.

I didn't intend for the article to be held in any higher regard than posts made previously in this thread. I just wanted to provide a differing viewpoint. When I consider an issue I like to look at all sides and at as much information as possible.

I don't think you need to apologize for anything. The article was originally written in March of 2011. I have never seen it before. When I used this forum's search for the url and another for "livingstingy" this was the only topic that showed up. I'm not sure how far back the archives even go after the latest updates to the forum, but it is my understanding that at least some older posts are no longer accessible. If a topic was only allowed to be discussed once, there would be a lot less new topics on this forum.

Thanks. I tried searching too and couldn't find it.

You won't find a thread by that title or any specific mention of that author. The link was in a thread on budgeting or financing the RV lifestyle. In fact, I think it has been in more than one thread.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

My only reason in pointing out that it had been previously posted was that I thought you might find the comments on it at that time to be interesting. The article presents one view of fulltiming.....one that I think few people would agree is an accurate one.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I am also a full-timer who has been living 24/7/365 in an RV Resort. And you are sooo right. If there is anything going on, right or wrong/good or bad, in the resort (or campground, or park) it not the two-day reviewer who knows about it...it is the resident.

I am retired, living just fine on my Retirement/SS. And would love to travel, but am single and very unsure about pulling my fifth wheel, let alone a little car behind. The biggest thing I've ever driven was a VW Chassis 18' Winnebago class C. It was almost as small as the old VW bus! So my experience is limited, at best. I suppose I could hire someone to drive it for me, but that may not be a good option either as it is very expensive, and a little scary!

So for now I am just driving my Honda when I travel to see friends and family...but it would be nice to feel comfortable enough to travel where I want with the 5th Wheel Wildcat!!

JustSue: There are many groups for solo women. You might find this group of women will offer good advice and support in helping you feel safer driving on the road. http://www.rvingwomen.org/

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Im still not sure how his occupation and where he lives causes his opinion to be invalidated or relate to his assumptions being "crazy" but I guess it somehow makes sense in your mind.

His occupation don't say anything but making it a prominent part of his story does. It displays an arrogance which in my view also permeates his article. I believe that to be unfortunate too because I very much agree that there are those who go on the road fulltime with no budget allowance for an exit plan in the event of the need. We regularly see people come on the forums and then speak of using all of the proceeds from the sale of a home for purchase of the RV in the belief that it will be their home for the remainder of their lives. Very few RVs are accessible for a wheelchair, walker or other such appliances and steps are frequently a problem for us as we age.

I agree with the point that he was attempting to make but not with the attitude he displays.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

...You won't find a thread by that title or any specific mention of that author. The link was in a thread on budgeting or financing the RV lifestyle. In fact, I think it has been in more than one thread...

As I said in the previous post, I searched for the "URL" and other words. I searched for the posts not the topics so if it was linked to in a post that post should have shown up. The only ones that did were the two posts in This Topic. If you know where these threads are, how about a link to them?

My only reason in pointing out that it had been previously posted was that I thought you might find the comments on it at that time to be interesting. The article presents one view of fulltiming.....one that I think few people would agree is an accurate one.

In my experience, if you really want someone to read something, you have to provide a link or at a minimum what to search for. I have spent considerable time searching (did searches for the URL, "stingy", "negative", "unflattering" and "perception") and even looked through the entire topic lists of a couple of forums and have not found another mention of this article. Maybe I missed it, but I'm done searching. In looking at the contents of the forums, it appears that they only go back to the Fall of 2012, not sure if the search engine provides results older than that. I will read the comments if someone provides a link to them.

I believe it was sometime in late 2013 that the thread with a link to this person's blog appeared and Jack, I, Kirk (IIRC), and several others made a comments on how one sided and unrealistic his scenarios are and wondered about his reasoning. One thing comes through loud and clear is his dislike for the Affinity Group (owners of Good Sam, Camping World, Coast-2-Coast, etc.) which is rather pronounced. But I'm not sure why you are so upset with Jack and myself for not remembering exactly when it was and what the post title was.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

...But I'm not sure why you are so upset with Jack and myself for not remembering exactly when it was and what the post title was...

I wouldn't say I am upset. I am just very tired of the implications in this and several other posts that one should search before asking a question or posting something. Obviously I am not the only one that perceives this as MoFanatic felt obligated to apologize for his post, which in my opinion there is absolutely no reason that he should have to apologize. And then there is amazement when new members don't stick around. MoFanatic joined this forum in August 2014, and he is supposed to know about a post in 2013?

Well, I thought it would be a simple matter to find the other discussion - but apparently not so simple. For that I apologize. So I guess some of the discussion occurred again. Which is fine. I did not mean to imply someone should search first - one would have no way of knowing that particular topic was discussed. I simply wanted to point out the discussion itself, which I thought would be of interest to the OP.

www.jackdanmayer.com

His occupation don't say anything but making it a prominent part of his story does. It displays an arrogance which in my view also permeates his article.

I agree with the point that he was attempting to make but not with the attitude he displays.

He didn't make his occupation a part of the story. It's listed only on the sidebar. I agree 100% that his writing style, at least on this particular topic, is smug and abrasive. I really don't want to be in a position of defending him. But Barbaraok didn't make her initial response premised on any factor other than his profession and place of residence.

Taking advice from a Patent Attorney on Jekyll Island about RVing - I think NOT!

I don't tend to dismiss people's opinions based upon their occupation or place of residence. I find that to be extremely narrow minded to the point of absurdity.

Again, I agree that the article's author structured his example to fit his desired outcome, but it's not that uncommon to find people selling RV's for the reasons he cautions about. I've seen it myself. And his points regarding depreciation are 100% correct; an issue I didn't see mentioned in the thread prior to my post.

And then there is amazement when new members don't stick around.

I came here because I was impressed with the depth of knowledge on this forum. I was hoping I could contribute in some small way (as was the case with my posting of the article in this thread). My experience here over the past couple of months (accused of being a xenophobe by Barbaraok for questioning her opinion that Al-Jazeera News is objective and called a rascist by Kevin H for who knows what reason) have made my time here more aggravating than enjoyable.

Thanks to the many here who have taken the time to be helpful but at this point I think I'm done on the forum and with anything related to Escapees.

You don't think his occupation & place of residence color is article? Read back through the articles he is posted to understand how he makes his money - it isn't just filing patent applications. There is a reason his articles are slanted the way they are.

But, this really has nothing to do with the thread topic, which is whether someone can fulltime on $25K. As have been stated over and over, people fulltiming on budgets much less and much more. It just depends upon the person, their likes, dislikes, habits, limitations, etc.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks to the many here who have taken the time to be helpful but at this point I think I'm done on the forum and with anything related to Escapees.

Please don't be premature in leaving over one disagreement. Differing opinions are what makes a discussion interesting. While we are not always the best at use of words or comments, I really don't think that most people here see anything wrong with your bringing this up. If nothing more, it does fuel thought and discussion. We can be friends even if or when we happen to see things differently. I wish that you would reconsider future contributions. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

MoFanantic, please hang around. I can feel your pain and have felt the sting of criticizing the wrong people. Setting aside an opinion of a patient attorney who "has it made" is no different than me not paying attention to anyone who spent their working years cradled in the tenured world of academia...and then living on a government pension...see what I mean??

So, please stay. Too much good info here. You will soon find who to heed and who to ignore. You will know who feels it their duty to provide input (even if they don't have any), and those who really are knowledgeable about something. Doesn't take long to reach that stage of "forum enlightenment".

"Illegitimi non carborundum "

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

• 4 months later...

Getting back on topic, my wife and I are planning a very similar budget once we begin full timing in a couple of years, and we have taken the steps to reduce our expenses significantly while still living in our sticks and bricks. Longer stays at campgrounds work camping will be the keys to this, as well as a general minimalist kind of lifestyle in general. Paying by the month at campgrounds will reduce costs even further.

In 9 pages of replies, I'm sure that you've gotten your answer - which is yes, if you want it. I'm amazed that some people will live in $10 or $15k, personally. We probably could do that as well, but that might be taking the whole frugal thing just a bit too far for us. :)

I have been following this family as they have been traveling around Mexico for the past couple of years. They are having a very fascinating journey. While they are spending what looks like more than $25,000 a year, I thought the breakdown of their expenses would be appropriate for this discussion,

happy Trails,

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/2014/04/24/travco-costs/

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

The topic of living on $x per month / year has been tossed around some on this forum.

You could do a search on terms like "budget", "monthly costs", and so forth.

Some example threads:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=103038&view=findpost&p=595923

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=94872&view=findpost&p=495543

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=94356&view=findpost&p=489628

And the posts in them will give you potential other sources.

I decided to go back and reread this thread and discovered I could not access these links. Anyone know why ?

Feb 2013 - They likely have scrolled off the forum active list and been removed, the software here automatically removes topics that have been inactive for a period of time.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The OP in 2013 was about going full time on $25,000 and they are planning to do that 2016

By the COL since 2013 that 25K will probably be a little over 26K in 2016 :D

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived