Anyone full timing on 25000 a year?

Max Death

Whenever I hear that something the government is running will be cheaper...Well let me say I'm a lot more than concerned. And then we're told it'll be the IRS that's running it...my head wants to explode!!!!

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think about it guys.....the USA has the most expensive health care in the world.....surely another method can't be worse.....or can it?

It's weird because you have cheaper everything else ..IE gas prices , food, clothing, travel ...etc..but when it comes to health care it's through the roof.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Other systems have problems other than price, I see a good bit on British health care and NHS seems to be less than popular for many reasons.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Other systems have problems other than price, I see a good bit on British health care and NHS seems to be less than popular for many reasons.

Thanks Stan for putting that litely........ The frog is swimming in the pan and the fire is lit....... :wacko:

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Think about it guys.....the USA has the most expensive health care in the world.....surely another method can't be worse.....or can it?

I have a Canadian friend who loves to tell me, "If you think your health care is expensive now, wait to see what it will cost you once your government takes over and makes if free!" :unsure:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If I'm reading things right this may work out well for me, it looks like a lot of the medical costs are being shifted from older folks to younger ones.

Sorry about that kids but not only do you have to pay for my retirement but now you get to chip in for my health care. :wub:

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We have free health care in Alberta...no premiums . The only catch is you die waiting for your turn. LOL

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Went to my doctor yesterday for my free Medicare Annual Wellness Visit. After she got done telling me what we couldn't talk about under that heading we decided I was there for a physical on my Medicare Advantage plan. Free is often worth what you pay for it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Kirk , I don't pay much for tax...leaving that for the young ones now. We have no sales tax and between wife and I very little income tax.

Our health care is mainly supported by oil revenues.

• 3 weeks later...

Still working so money is not a problem, but dw and I would like to start full timing in 2016. Will be using accred vacation time to get us through until I hit that magic retirement number.Anyway question is most of the budgets I have seen published online are around 30 to 35 thousand. Dw and my retirement benefits will equal a little over 25 thousand.Is it possible to fulltime on this amount?We plan to spend summers north and winters south. Spending around 6 months in a summer location and the same in a winter location. We don't eat out a lot. Once in a blue moon. We plan some day trips but most of the time we like to be at home with the dogs.We of course will have savings but don't want to touch that. We may want it for health problems, too old to drive, etc.Understand there are too many variables in lifestyles to be definite. But would be interested if anyone has or thinks this could be done.Thanks in advance

My wife and I are doing it on less, when you figure on the costs of doing business. We're touring musicians and while we make more than $2,000 per month, we also have to drive from show to show and that can get expensive... if we don't do that driving, we don't make the money. If you're doing it on $25,000 per year in retirement benefits, which don't require lots of driving to obtain, you'll do just fine.

1996 29' Gulfstream Conquest 102, Ford E-Super Duty (450) chassis, 7.3L Power Stroke TD

• 4 weeks later...

We have been full timers for 13 years now and have done it, and are doing it, on a lot less than that. We are very unique in some ways tho'. First we are vegans and since there are very few vegan restaurants in most places we seldom eat out and prepare most of our meals from scratch. Second, we remain active and that, combined with being vegan, means we have fewer health problems than most.

Additionally we enjoy living a simple lifestyle. Not sparse, but simple. We don't need or want satellite tv because we don't enjoy the shows. We would rather spend time outdoors than on the couch. We enjoy working on our own unit so we don't pay others to do what we can do and want to do.

Kirk gave the best response. Can YOU make it? That is the question.

Good to see that there are vegans out there full-timing. Have you encountered many others, or is there any kind of group of vegan RVers (talk about a specialized group)? My wife and I made the jump 16 months ago. I won't say we're perfect but we are at least 95% meat and dairy-free (the other 5% is to account for those times when we eat something inadvertently).

We are hoping to make the move to full-timing one day (five to six years). My hope/plan is to boondock as much as possible. Our budget may ultimately depend on whether we have our autistic son in tow or not. We're also lucky in that we have friends and family spread out across the country who may not mind seeing us once in a while and might be willing to provide us a place to park for a while. :)

2006 Ford F-350 DRW 6.0 Power Stroke
2007 Alpenlite Voyager 31RE

• 3 weeks later...

A number of things come to mind.... Of course you found your way to one of them, Escapees can save you $$ Many CG's honor their memberships. Other memberships can be purchased as well and will save using your income. AOL, Adventure Outdoors Living is another and there are many more, Good Sam, Passport America, and so on. I purchased a used membership in a CG system doing a google search for it. It wasbeing offered for pennies on the dollor by a young widow. She and her Hubby had paid more than 10k for it just 6+ months previous to his death. And as Kirk says, Welcome to the club and the lifestyle.

When we started in '09 had a little more than that a month from disability. Now we do it on about 19,300. SSDI. Hoping after Surgery can get back to workcamping But we do stay about 4 to 6 months in Wa. and the same in Montana or
AZ.

But I wouldn't go back to sticks and brick and full time job for anything.

We have friends that camp host 5 1/2 months up north and 5 1/2 in Florida FS visitor center an overnight in a Cracker Barrel both ways a weeks visit to their son on both ways. I don't see any campground fees there. About 2600 miles a year fuel cost. I'm sure there cost to fulltime is less than 25G's.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

• 4 weeks later...

We started fulltiming in about 2001 and our first job was $7 per/hr each for 40 hrs. per week. We didn't have an rv payment (ours is a 1988), didn't have cell phones at that time and only had to pay vehicle insurance. That was the best time, it seemed like we had so much extra money compared to the drafter wages ($19+) that we had been making and were always broke! As the years went on though, we started slipping back into the "work where there's more money" mindset and slowly but surely the fun drained out of the lifestyle.

So, here we are, resident managers at a self storage in an area we don't want to be in, doing what we really don't want to do. Problem is, that old "Betsy" needs some work done to her before she can handle the travel again and I'm having trouble getting my husband out of that money, money mindset!

Now we have two cell phones, internet service, vehicle insurance (of course), dish and now that we are both a bit older (60 & 61) feel the need for health insurance, I haven't figured out how to overcome his concerns. Anybody been in similar situations? if so, solutions? I'd love to get us back on the road next summer!!!

Jim & Alona traveling with River, Rocky & Indy.

Our home, a 33' 1988 Southwind which we love!

http://arjrontheroad.blogspot.com

http://gatewatchers.blogspot.com

Lay out your plan of what needs to be done, length of time to do it, costs, etc. Ask for comments on the plan that is GOING to be done. Do not entertain a discussion about 'should we' rather, what do we need todo this month, next month, etc. before you hit the road come summer. And get online and see what you are eligible for under ACA.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

So, here we are, resident managers at a self storage in an area we don't want to be in, doing what we really don't want to do. Problem is, that old "Betsy" needs some work done to her before she can handle the travel again and I'm having trouble getting my husband out of that money, money mindset!

I highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Your-Money-Life-Transforming-Relationship/dp/0143115766

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived