National Public WiFi plan

RV_

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rule #2 is pretty strict and you only get three warnings before your account is locked.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Rule #2: Absolutely no discussions regarding religion or politics. Posts that are political or religious in nature will be removed and all participants will be warned.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Boingo is not active at North Ranch; I called them and they saiid while it was here for awhile too many complaints about the Tengo Internet backbone they used.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

Boingo is not active at North Ranch; I called them and they saiid while it was here for awhile too many complaints about the Tengo Internet backbone they used.

The problem with Tengo is not really "just" a Tengo problem - most people just view it that way.

Tengo's newer installs really work well, with the "better" equipment they use. I've seen continuous 20mbps on some Tengo installations. The problems start with RV parks that have the older equipment and do not want to share the costs of upgrading it. Then it can be an issue. Also with parks that have little backhaul speed. These parks are now being hammered by demand, with no way to fulfill it. Thus, with load balancing in place, each person gets such limited bandwidth as to make the system "not worth it". Most of the Escapees parks fall into this latter category. At least last that I tested any of them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Away from the Tengo Tazing and back to the "government wifi plan" topic for a moment....

The surest way to get any utilitarian functionality priced out of reach is to put competition in abeyance. An oft repeated example of this is in the towns where a central industry was the heart and soul of the community. Towns that were setup by monopolies like mining companies, textile mills, and lumber companies built housing, utility infrastructures and consumer products stores to provide for their workers. Eventually, the workers had no other choices but "the company store" of Tennessee Ernie Ford's famous "16 Tons" song. As long as business was flush, things moved nicely but when workers had to be laid off en-masse due to external causes, the company owned all the unrecoverable debt and had to cut all this infrastructure loose or go down with it.

Since they often had their own community coinage as well, the only income to these companies was from external profits of their production and the profitability of that was rarely under their individual control.

Over time, everything in the town became old, worn and obsolete but there was never going to be any improvements made by the overseer company because there was no profit in the effort.

The only way to make things better was through the power of competition within the community and that takes a huge effort of time and money to change the mindset of the generations that were already programmed to depend solely on "The Company".

As much as I am repeatedly disappointed by the realities of present day public connectivity I would not support a single government based solution because I know only too well where it will eventually lead and how hard it would become to change or improve it once it is established. The intent of stop-gap solutions with a timetable limitation is quickly lost once it becomes established as "The Solution".

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

• 11 months later...

Ham radio licenses are INEXPENSIVE, but NOT FREE.

At present it is about $15.00, good for 10 years, with a Vanity call being a little more $$.

Butch Williams, W9MCI

I have been able to renew my amateur license without cost several times.

If you use the Laurel VEC testing sessions, you do not need to pay for any VE test session fees.

If you want a vanity call sign, then you need to pay for the 10 year renewal.

Good to see some hams in these forums!

Bill N3LLR

Maybe a nationwide broadband service would be more doable under a federally assisted, locally managed community co-op system. A system like that could do a lot to bring affordable broadband to the currently under served areas of the country for starters. It worked for rural electricity...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I renewed kb0ou I paid $zero, just do it online with the FCC.

I do have a canceled check for $9.00 that the FCC cashed in 1974 when I got my first call,, WB4MMX, Not Free then.

I am a VE with 2 VEC so I know how much it costs now.

kb0ou

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Archived