Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'sewer hose'.
I purchased a Rhino Extreme sewer hose set from Camco figuring the hose would last as long or longer than the Rhino Flex system I had used for the better part of four years. The Rhino flex has the easily repairable end fittings that allow one to cut out the damaged hose and reconnect. Searching on line I finally found a Camco video explaining that the Rhino Extreme hose connections are not removable as they are glued together so one should just cut it off and replace it with a Rhino Flex connection. Prior to buying a new flex connection as I didn't save both flex connections when I threw out the old hose (I just bought the newest best Rhino system after all) I decided to do a little forensic disassembly. If I could attach photos I would show you the four sets of tabs that hold the locking ring on. Sequentially move them with a flat blade screw driver until you are able to spin the ring off what is left of the hose and separate it from the rest of the fitting. Pull the old hose out. It will come apart as there is silicone glue used to create a good seal. That appears to be the glue they used that would otherwise render it un-repairable. Using an appropriately sized flat blade screw driver or your tool of choice work the old silicone sealant out of the joint. Once you have cleaned the joint to your satisfaction thread the locking ring back onto the end of the hose. Pay attention to the orientation of the ring in relation to the fitting. 50 50 chance you will get it right. I applied a generous bead of clear silicone sealant around the circumference of the annular space of the fitting between the hub and the exterior of the fitting. Work the hose and wire reinforcing over the hub. I was probably able to push 2 to 2.5 wraps of wire over the hub. Spin the locking ring into position. Keep going past the locking tabs until you find the spot that you can't get the ring any tighter without forcing the hose off the hub. I only had to do that once. Once you feel that you can get no tighter align the locking tabs on the ring to the appropriate spots on the fitting and push the ring into place to relock it. As I was cleaning the joint it was readily apparent that the cause of my failure was the strain I placed on the hose due to the hub used in this new design. My sewer inlet is elevated above the ground. The sewer hose hung down off the end of the internal hub onto which the hose is attached about five inches till it rested on the ground. I will now support the hose or remove enough standing water to take the strain off the hose. I have but don't use a trestle. After further consideration I will get it out to evade the gardener's weed wips. The old Flex connections do not have the internal hub and there fore no edge for the hose to hang over and break. They should do away with this new fitting and go back to the old one IMHO.