Slide Covers

Mr. Camper

Hi,

We own a 2013 Open Range Light 274 RLS about 27 feet long. It has two opposing slides in the rear. The longer side, which extends out the shortest distance has the appliances (TV, stereo, fridge, oven, stove and microwave. The shorter slide directly opposite has a small recliner and a small table plus the two dog beds. For reasons I won't go into now, we had an RV ARMOR lifetime roof put on during the summer of 2015. The most amazing thing was how quiet the TT became during the heaviest downpours. By comparison, the noise on the slides roofs is extremely loud. We want to add on covers that will roll out with the slides, not retain water, not flap and add some quiet time inside. We've seen some models by Dometic and Carefree. Does anyone have experience with either of those two brands or something else entirely? We are located in the River Valley of Arkansas between Fort Smith and Little Rock. There are both positive and negative stories concerning work performed by Camping World, and we've not seen nor heard reviews about Carefree. Any help anyone could provide to steer us in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

For what it's worth, I made my own from sunscreen. Now, understand I am a canvas shop, OK? But I bought all the Pieces off ebay for A & E, really not that hard to install if you buy the whole thing. Also note, there is a big RV Salvage place down there somewhere may be close to you. www.colawrv.com

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

By "covers that will roll out" I presume you mean awning type slide topppers of some sort of vinyl or fabric...

I have Carefree toppers on my slides, and Carefree window, door, and patio awnings. We had to have the arms on the patio awning replaced after wind damage several years ago but the fabric is still in great condition. I have replaced the topper fabric twice over the past 13 years/106k miles, a bit over half of it fulltiming. I removed the window awnings and had them stitching re-done a few months ago. All considered, we have been very pleased with our Carefree awnings.

I don't believe you will find an awning type topper that will not pool some water unless it is a very small (short end to end) slide. Regardless of the tension, any fabric will sag a bit in the middle. The nature of the roller action will cause that water to be dumped over the side and possibly the ends when the slide is retracted. Some toppers have anti-billow brackets to help keep the toppers from unfurling while driving. My Carefree toppers have an aluminum shield that totally covers the topper when the slide is in ...that protects the fabric from sun/weather and also prevents unfurling.

There are some add-ons that push the fabric up from below that can prevent water pooling. Owners can be quite creative with pvc frameworks, beach balls, etc that they put under the toppers when the slides are out and of course MUST REMEMBER to remove before retracting the slide. I have seen a framework mechanism advertised that is a part of the system, and automatically does its thing, but don't recall what company has that and have never personally seen one.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Archived