Adding auto level to 5th wheel?

tyates007

I posted this in 5th wheel forum originally but wanted to ask here as this group hauls the heavy trailers.

I have a 2008 Mobile Suites with hydraulic jacks front and rear. It is currently a 4 point system with 2 switches, one for front and one for rear. I would like to be able to run the jacks independently to raise one side or they other for tire maintenance and such if needed. So 2 questions. Can I change switches to be able to control current system manually? Secondly, if I added a leveling system like Biggoot or Level Up would the existing system be able to be used adding minimal hardware? I plan to call the manufactures of each. Looks to me like Bigfoot has a individual reservoir on each jack where level up is run with a single pump and lines run so this would probably be the easiest to retrofit. Thanks Tom.

I would doubt either system would retrofit using hydraulic levelers for their auto level systems. For one thing, the hydraulic cylinders are stronger than the uses used for stabilizing the trailer. Maybe the front jacks might have some lift capacity but the rear stabilizers are only for holding the slack.

This is in comparison to a system like the Quadra Big Foot that comes with (4) 17,500 lb lift jacks. 70,000 lift is enough to lift the trailer and I have seen my travel Supreme a foot off the ground.

One version of Big Foot uses a central pump/reservoir like the Level-Up system but the better system has a pump/reservoir at each jack, That system only requires electrical connections to be router to each jack unlike the hydraulic routing required by the other systems.

Depending on your frame, you might need 6 jacks for the lighter Lippert frames. Big Foot offers that option or chassis strengthening.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Tom,

My 2005 has the same setup as yours and it won't lift the trailer. The Bigfoot or LevelUp system will. One thing you would have to be careful with what you are describing with your current system is making sure the jacks don't come down on both sides then raising one side higher than the other. That will twist the frame and probably pop some welds. You probably know this but anytime tires are lifted off the ground, the trailer should be connected to the hitch so it can articulate without frame twist.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I don't have any answers regarding modification of your existing system, (but I would bet that Mark is right) but I did have a 6 point Big Foot installed on our 40 foot Travel Supreme. The Bigfoot System allows you to auto-level or manually raise/lower any corner independently. It also will automatically return to the level that you unhooked the truck when your ready to hitch back up.

On each side, the rear two jacks work together as one. One pump actuates two jacks. Pressure is equalized between the two. For example, if you lower the right rear corner, the rear and center jack on the right will retract together. In theory, they should each bear the same weight and this should be better for weaker frames as Carl suggests.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I have HWH which WILL lift the trailer. But mine came with a sensor to tell you when level, not actually "automatic" . Worthless POS started telling me BOTH ends of the trailer were low at the same time, I put 2 bubble levels in the compt next to the controls.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

You probably know this but anytime tires are lifted off the ground, the trailer should be connected to the hitch so it can articulate without frame twist.

Carl,

Can you explain this? I would think just the opposite.

Jim

2016 smart car

My lippert system will lift all 6 tires of the 45' trailer off the ground. It uses a central pump.

I would rather have a central pump, opposed to running copper to each jack. Hydraulic hose is cheaper. And you only have one pump package to break down on you.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

So far I'm not impressed with the electronics of my Bigfoot system. No matter how many times I calibrate it, never level. Reading on the Hitchhiker forum, many systems have been problematic, so I'll have to do some diagnostics. The jacks however seem to lift the tires on my 18K trailer without even grunting.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

My lippert system will lift all 6 tires of the 45' trailer off the ground. It uses a central pump.

I would rather have a central pump, opposed to running copper to each jack. Hydraulic hose is cheaper. And you only have one pump package to break down on you.

That is one way to look at it. My way is that the Big Foot system can operate with one pump out of action. Working with one pump out is better than not working with the one pump out.

More hose, more chances of leaks.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Jim,

Sorry for not being clear. If the trailer is hitched up the head can articulate right to left so if you jack up one side of the trailer the frame would tilt rather than twist. I am assuming no legs would be down on the non jacked side. If you were not hitched and have legs down on both sides the high side would put a twisting motion on the frame where the low side legs are connected to the frame. Does that make sense? It is my understanding that if hydraulic jacks are used the trailer should be lifted as a whole unit i.e. both sides come off the ground. Again Jim correct me if I'm wrong.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,

I wasn't planning on it, but have decided we must come to the Rally just so you can use your hands while you explain this to me.

See you there.

Jim

2016 smart car

Uh, oh. Guess I'm in trouble huh Jim? Seriously would love to discuss this. Get some more input from other rally attendees.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Jim it is easy. Hook up the truck. Raise all the landing gear. Now extend the left(street) side until the tires ar off the ground. The entire trailer tilted. Look at your hitch plate. Noe change that tire and continue on down the road. I have also lifted one side to work in brakes and bearings while not hooked to the truck. It will tilt the entire trailer, not twist the frame. Do NOT hit auto retract. You are actually pretty safe no matter what you do as long as the truck is not left attached with the trailer gear down

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 3 weeks later...

I was liking my bigfoot system on the recently deceased Teton, a lot better after it was decided that the Brain needed replaced. Even came with a nice remote.

Hi Mr. Rocky, how hard was the install on the Teton, where did you get it done, would you use them again, and est cost? I picked up our Scottsdale XT4 after the Rally.

Thanks,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived