Connecting electric cord to neighbors rv

maggie blair

It will not hurt either system as long as:

1. Your neighbor's RV has enough power to spare

2. You do not try to draw more power than the plug you plug into on the neighbor's RV will support. (If you are plugging into a regular outlet on the side of your neighbor's RV, it will only support 15 amps.)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It will not hurt either system.

plugging into a regular outlet on the side of your neighbor's RV, it will only support 15 amps.

Dead on. Without knowing what size of generator your neighbor is running.. even though his rig may be 50amp.. that doesn't mean his generator is capable of putting out a full 50amps. Ie., you might only be sharing 30amps or less so I wouldn't run anything that I didn't have to while connected (water pump, fans, etc.) and would disconnect once your batteries are topped off just to be a good neighbor.

I know you don't really use much juice anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

Easiest way in my mind to do it would to just plug in your charger or converter. You will then only be charging the batteries and wouldn't have power to the other A/C current devices you may have in your camper. No risk of accidentally turning on the microwave or coffee pot at the exact wrong moment. I have that ability, you may not.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I'd do it as Rod suggested....plug just your converter into the neighbor, if you can. If you have a converter integrated into your loadcenter you will not be able to do it this way, though. Many converters are wired such that they plug into a standard electric outlet, and these can be plugged directly into any electric source (like your neighbor). In your rig you likely have the combination, and that is hardwired into your system. But for others that encounter this issue, plugging JUST the converter into the neighbor (or into a garage 15 amp outlet) and just letting it charge the battery bank is a viable way to boondock, or moochdock (driveway boondock). You then run the necessary house systems off the inverter, and the converter charges the battery bank.

In your case, That will likely not be an option, but plugging in will not hurt your neighbor....follow the advice above. If you draw too much then HIS breaker will flip.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived