Extended Warranties

Cathy and Paula

We are looking at buying a new 2016 Lifestyle which has no manufacturer warranty seeing how they are now out of business. We have searched all the forums and are still up in the air about what extended warranty to go with. The dealer we are dealing with is offering us a 1 year Extra Ride warranty. Other dealers are offering Compass. We found a company called Wholesale Warranties and they sound as good as Extra Ride and Compass. All three are have different pricing but from what we can tell the coverage is mostly the same. However Extra Ride is almost double the cost of the two, so what are we missing?? We have not found any company that covers the frame but we are not sure what could go wrong with the frame.

What we would like to know is what are your thoughts and experiences with having an extended warranty and what company you are using? We have never bought an extended warranty on anything before because we do not necessarily think they are worth the money, but we do not feel comfortable buying a orphan unit without something.

Thanks for the help.

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
2016 Lifestyle LS37CKSL/2016 Ford F350 DRW
Fulltiming since Aug 09
Blog http://www.pclivinthedream.blogspot.com/
Blog http://www.pclivinthedream2.blogspot.com/

We just purchased a 2016 model unit as 2nd buyers. The so called warranty doesn't transfer to us.

I had never believed in extended warranties either, but not really knowing much about 5th wheel trailers, when we purchased our first used one back in 2008, we put an extended warranty on it. It did pay off a lot more than what it cost! We then sought out another extended warranty after the first one expired and were able to go with Wholesale Warranties on an 8 yr old trailer, used full time, for another 4 years coverage. It also paid off when repairs were needed! Our rig was totaled and we cancelled the policy 1 1/2 years into it. We did receive a refund of unused ins. and simply told them to hold it to pay for the next rig we would purchase.

We completed the purchase of our new to us rig (3 months old) and stayed with Wholesale Warranties with a 7 year plan. Because the rig was so new, an inspection was not needed to have coverage.

I believe they stay on top of whichever company they use for warranty, listening to their customers complaints or suggestions, and make changes as necessary to meet their customers demands.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

We are looking at buying a new 2016 Lifestyle which has no manufacturer warranty seeing how they are now out of business. We have searched all the forums and are still up in the air about what extended warranty to go with. The dealer we are dealing with is offering us a 1 year Extra Ride warranty.

Someone else recently posted a similar question about buying a Lifestyle. Some feedback received on that post was to hold out until the dealer included an aftermarket warranty of AT LEAST 3 years.

These dealers with Evergreen (the parent company) products on their lots NEED to move the orphaned inventory.

I am VERY happy with my 2016 Lifestyle (bought in 2015). Yes, it had issues repaired under warranty. Yes, it has a few things that are wrong with it that I will either fix myself or pay someone else to fix. BUT, it is VERY comfortable. MUCH more comfy than the Heartland Cyclone it replaced.

Here is the link to the Lifestyle owners forum; http://www.carriage-lifestyle-owners.com/ucp.php?mode=login

We ended up not getting a EW, but when shopping, I felt Wholesales Warranty provided the best service on filtering thru all the various options. The key is reading and understanding what is, and what is not, covered. I found Wholesales did a good job of weeding thru these, and really only offered EW's that they felt were pretty good to start with. Then the helped me understand the specific's in the wording or the differing plans, to come to a conclusion.

For us, the decision to not get the EW, now 6 years ago, turned out to be a good one. I'd swag we'd have not quite broken even with the 4 (the max we could get due to the age of our coach when we bought it) plan. But, I know others that have more then paid for their EW's via repair assistance.... I suppose that's why the call it insurance.

We adopted the plan that many here on this board recommended as an alternative to EW's. Put the yearly costs of what the EW would have cost us into a 'maintenance' related budget bucket. We put he full amount into that bucket at that time, and then added more each year to cover normal maintenance, and to prepare for the every 5-7 years of tires replacements. We also have a combination home and RV 'Contingency' Budget Bucket item, that we keep fully armed and ready:)!

Good luck on your Lifestyle, and good luck on your EW research! Go have some fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

When we bought ours, I was unsure of Lifestyle as a company. I purchased, through the dealer, a 72 month extended warranty for $4800. with USA Travel Care/American Guardian Warranty Services, inc. I am about 1/2 way to getting my money back.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

When we bought ours, I was unsure of Lifestyle as a company. I purchased, through the dealer, a 72 month extended warranty for $4800. with USA Travel Care/American Guardian Warranty Services, inc. I am about 1/2 way to getting my money back.

Ours was an 84 month contract with Wholesales Warranties for $3,789. Not thru a dealer.

Lots of profit in it for the dealers!!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We went with Wholesale warranties for 5 years. This is the first time we have bought an extended warranty on anything. But with no manufacturer warranty we felt we needed to pull the trigger this time. So we shall wait and see. Thanks for all the info

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
Fulltiming since Aug 09

Someone else recently posted a similar question about buying a Lifestyle. Some feedback received on that post was to hold out until the dealer included an aftermarket warranty of AT LEAST 3 years.

These dealers with Evergreen (the parent company) products on their lots NEED to move the orphaned inventory.

I am VERY happy with my 2016 Lifestyle (bought in 2015). Yes, it had issues repaired under warranty. Yes, it has a few things that are wrong with it that I will either fix myself or pay someone else to fix. BUT, it is VERY comfortable. MUCH more comfy than the Heartland Cyclone it replaced.

Here is the link to the Lifestyle owners forum; http://www.carriage-lifestyle-owners.com/ucp.php?mode=login

What type of issues did you have with your Lifestyle and what type do you have?

Cathy and Paula
US Air Force Retired
Fulltiming since Aug 09

On a new rig, most of the components installed are covered by various warranties from the companies that make and supply them, Dometic, Dexter, Norcold, etc. They will ultimately be the ones covering the items for you. Also, you will likely be purchasing a service contract, not an actual warranty.

Archived