We got Stopped

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.hhrvresource.com/

If you look under "The HDT Decision" , there are state guidelines and drivers license requirements by state.

The resource guide has tons of info in it.

I have read that cover to cover. I was just wondering if there is any other information that others would consider to add to the book that may not be listed in the hhrvresource.

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

We have several pictures of the truck and 5'er hooked up in various locations to show what we do with the truck if we were ever stopped bobtail. Our binder is our all in one book. We have all the truck repair receipts, from oil changes, tire purchases, in it as well.

It's organized from most pertinent info in front to the mundane at the back.

I believe, from the look on his face, that the officer was surprised and appreciated having everything in one place. First impressions are critical. Being organized, polite, non-argumentative about our rig, and privatively knowing what I thought was correct based on SD laws (I was) was perfect for the situation.

With any luck, it will never happen again.

But like someone around here has stated time and time again, "Every time I leave the yard, I fully expect to be stopped" (or something similar to this, Thanks Phil!)

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you don't want/need a binder, laminating stuff and putting it in a folder/envelope also works.

Pugsly, sorry but I disagree. The idea is not what YOU want, nor is it how to keep from losing the stuff by stuffing it into an envelope. You could just jam it all in the glovebox if that were the idea. The idea is to present the officer with something that he will not mind looking at. He has no obligation to look at a handful of stuff. Jim handed that officer a neat and organized book of information. The officer asked to take the book to his vehicle where he looked through it and probably verified the info on his computer via the internet. If Jim had handed him a stack of loose papers in an envelope he may not have bothered. Every state looks at our vehicles differently. Every officer you meet has studied the laws of HIS state. He has no idea what the laws are where you come from. It will be up to you to educate him, to show him that what you are doing is legal in YOUR state. Handing him a stack of crap and saying "It's in here somewhere, see if you can find it". He will also lose patience if he has to wait for you to dig through your envelope hunting for the answer to his request. Offering him a well organized book of the pertinent info, that you hope will answer his every question is a much better plan.

If you have bothered to laminate it, how much harder is it to punch some holes in it and organize it in a binder? I simply used the protective sleeves that you buy for a binder. I have an index page so one quick look will tell anyone what is in the book and what order it is in. Other than changing/updating the current registration receipts and insurance cards, I have only felt the need to update the other material once in 6 years. It's not like the laws change that frequently.

The hope is that you will never need it but it isn't that hard to do....just in case.

But like someone around here has stated time and time again, "Every time I leave the yard, I fully expect to be stopped" (or something similar to this, Thanks Phil!)

Jim, you are most welcome. And for me, it still holds true today. I "expect" to get stopped every time I hitch up and drive away. If I don't, well it was a good day. If I do, I am prepared, have thought it through and I will not be surprised.

The old saying is something like: “If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it must be a duck”

That is what everyone believes. It is up to us to convince them (standing roadside, if we wish to avoid seeing the judge), that we are not in fact ducks, we are really dragons......in a duck suit.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Sounds like a really bored police officer to me that wanted something to do but not to the point of getting dirty. As a retired trucker with over 3 million safe miles logged I have been through MANY inspections both in weigh stations AND on the roadside. I never had an officer say anything about something as trivial as window tint. They were checking for things more important that could actually be a safety issue.

Sorry but it sounds to me like they failed to conduct a thorough inspection on your vehicle...or they didn't have a tint meter. I can't tell you how many times I have used my tint meter on a CMV. The object of a roadside inspection is to list ALL violations, citations and warnings. The ability to see through your side windows is, in my opinion, a safety issue and not the "trivial" thing you seem to think it is.

2014 smart Fortwo

Just curios would a copy of our title from our home state showing the truck is titled as a rv be good proof to a officer, just looking to add what we can, thanks.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Just curios would a copy of our title from our home state showing the truck is titled as a rv be good proof to a officer, just looking to add what we can, thanks.

Sure, and one for the trailer too. I have been asked by several truckers if all I do is pull travel trailers for a living. The answer is always "No, all I pull is my own trailer".

2014 smart Fortwo

Sure, and one for the trailer too. I have been asked by several truckers if all I do is pull travel trailers for a living. The answer is always "No, all I pull is my own trailer".

Thanks Big5er never thought about the trailer, thanks so much for all your and everyone else's input here really helps the new guys

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

My notebook is arranged like Big5er cause I got the idea from him. I have an index page, my truck and trailer registration, truck and trailer insurance, TN statute concerning license requirements for an RV with the appropriate passage highlighted (so the LEO doesn't have to read the whole page), and a copy of the highlighted passage governing proper location of the license plate for a Motorhome. TN only issues one plate and by statute it goes on BACK of the motorhome. Even some of the TN troopers don't know that info. Ask Steve Dixon. I also have a copy of the federal guidelines that define a motorhome just in case.

IMHO opinion put any concise info that supports the way you're doing things as being legal. But be smart, don't have all the states length requirements in there if you're over length.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I too keep a couple pictures of my truck with the boat and trailer at campgrounds. Also a copy of the CHP inspection I had done to verify its a motorhome, I didn't just walk in the DMV and mislead them.

As Phil said they don't have to look at anything. But if it's well organized you have a better chance. And less of a chance the officer won't forget to return everything.

I would love to see how some of you guys have your books set up. Of course blocking out personal info.

Like Charlie, I'm interested in seeing others ideas of the perfect book.

If I get pulled over, I'd like to think that after checking out my "book", the officer would express an interest in setting up such a rig for his own family.

I learned a long time ago to be courteous and nice to the officer. I've been pulled over for speeding too many times, and haven't gotten a ticket, yet. My day's coming. Once the LEO said, "I clocked you at 82 in a 55." I thanked him for not clocking me a few second earlier, and he laughed. Bald and/or gray helps..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Pugsly, sorry but I disagree. The idea is not what YOU want, nor is it how to keep from losing the stuff by stuffing it into an envelope. You could just jam it all in the glovebox if that were the idea. The idea is to present the officer with something that he will not mind looking at. He has no obligation to look at a handful of stuff. Jim handed that officer a neat and organized book of information. The officer asked to take the book to his vehicle where he looked through it and probably verified the info on his computer via the internet. If Jim had handed him a stack of loose papers in an envelope he may not have bothered. Every state looks at our vehicles differently. Every officer you meet has studied the laws of HIS state. He has no idea what the laws are where you come from. It will be up to you to educate him, to show him that what you are doing is legal in YOUR state. Handing him a stack of crap and saying "It's in here somewhere, see if you can find it". He will also lose patience if he has to wait for you to dig through your envelope hunting for the answer to his request. Offering him a well organized book of the pertinent info, that you hope will answer his every question is a much better plan.

If you have bothered to laminate it, how much harder is it to punch some holes in it and organize it in a binder? I simply used the protective sleeves that you buy for a binder. I have an index page so one quick look will tell anyone what is in the book and what order it is in. Other than changing/updating the current registration receipts and insurance cards, I have only felt the need to update the other material once in 6 years. It's not like the laws change that frequently.

The hope is that you will never need it but it isn't that hard to do....just in case.

Jim, you are most welcome. And for me, it still holds true today. I "expect" to get stopped every time I hitch up and drive away. If I don't, well it was a good day. If I do, I am prepared, have thought it through and I will not be surprised.

The old saying is something like: “If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it must be a duck”

That is what everyone believes. It is up to us to convince them (standing roadside, if we wish to avoid seeing the judge), that we are not in fact ducks, we are really dragons......in a duck suit.

I don't mean to shock you and understand that this may be a difficult concept, but please consider the possibility that I can have my paperwork well organized without having it in a binder.

I run my MDT on my dealer tags, which creates an entirely different level of complexity and yet still manage to survive. :)

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

I don't mean to shock you and understand that this may be a difficult concept, but please consider the possibility that I can have my paperwork well organized without having it in a binder.

I run my MDT on my dealer tags, which creates an entirely different level of complexity and yet still manage to survive. :)

No shock involved. I personally don't care how you do it. If it works for you, great, but ultimately it isn't what you think that matters in this situation. I see 8-10 different methods of carrying a large amount of required vehicle paperwork each and every day. I do not dig through bundles of paperwork anymore. If the driver can't find it in a timely fashion that is not an issue for me, it's a violation for him. I also will not take a "handful" of loose papers from a driver. That's more that I have to keep up with and probably crap that I do not want. I will take the specific items I want and require. If he has it all in a binder, then I will take the whole thing, it's all-in-one and it's easy to keep up with. Like I said, I do not care how you do it, but from the point of view of the guy standing on the ground asking for the paperwork, your envelope is not the best way to do it.

An officers understanding of your filing system is of much more importance when you are trying to explain to him that your state says you don't need a CDL when his state says you do, or that you can register an HDT as a MH when his state says you can't. In that situation I want him to see exactly what I have quickly and concisely. Your envelope full of papers won't accomplish that. But if you are willing to bet the ticket on it, feel free to do it your way. You may beat the ticket in court, who knows. But Jim beat the ticket on the side of the road, a faster, more efficient and much more pleasant way to handle things.

And in my state dealer tags make things easier also. A dealer tag can not carry or tow a load. Plus, your little truck doesn't necessarily have the "automatic commercial appearance" that our HDT's do.

2014 smart Fortwo

Once the LEO said, "I clocked you at 82 in a 55." I thanked him for not clocking me a few second earlier, and he laughed. Bald and/or gray helps..........

You don't have to be bald and/or gray, but I'm sure it helps. So do tears, evidently, but I've never been able to muster any. In my experience, you and the officer both make split-second decisions about the attitude/personality of the other. Some know they're just out doing what they're told, or balancing the local budget, and are easy going about minor stuff with minimal public safety interest. Others want to strike fear in you, as if you'd killed a busload of nuns and schoolchildren. Seeming nervous with the first type won't work well, as you'll create suspicion that something's up; act too blase or relaxed with the latter and it won't turn out well either.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

You don't have to be bald and/or gray, but I'm sure it helps. So do tears, evidently, but I've never been able to muster any.

Tears don't work either Dave, they just get my tickets wet. :)

2014 smart Fortwo

Geez, Phil, now I'm totally out of options unless fat, gray, and balding works.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

But Jim beat the ticket on the side of the road, a faster, more efficient and much more pleasant way to handle things.

Jim didn't beat the ticket. He just didn't get more than one--he got one that had no bearing on any driving record or insurance, making it unlikely that he would do anything other than what he did. ND got $20 out of him without having to make much of a case.

Do you write in indelible ink? An old co-worker's wife speeds just as much as he does, but tears get her off the hook 9 times out of ten. He has pushpins on a map in over 30 states where it hasn't worked for him. She says getting stopped by a female officer is the "uh-oh" scenario. I guess that's better than the TN officer that was fired for letting people off after performing favors of a lewd nature.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

An old co-worker's wife speeds just as much as he does, but tears get her off the hook 9 times out of ten. He has pushpins on a map in over 30 states where it hasn't worked for him.

And that's his bragging board? A map of 30 states where he hasn't gotten out of a ticket? That is kind of pathetic.

I probably haven't been stopped 10 times in my entire life and none since I passed the age of 30.

2014 smart Fortwo

And that's his bragging board? A map of 30 states where he hasn't gotten out of a ticket? That is kind of pathetic.

I probably haven't been stopped 10 times in my entire life and none since I passed the age of 30.

Have been stopped once, now twice since age 30.....

That first one cost me a huge favor to the local DA and 16 hours of drivers ED.... Something like 75 in a 35... all black corvette..... I was just pulling out of a driveway... really that's all... and went to 2nd then 3rd gear..... in 2 seconds.... but I swear I didn't mean to speed like that.... Look there isn't any tire marks on the pavement.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

You probably don't speed nearly as much as he did (and does). He simply looks at speeding as a value proposition--you're taking time off work to go somewhere, and driving isn't the point of the trip, so going faster means fewer hours of vacation pay used up. Considering that points don't enter into the picture (he lives in NM), and the total cost of those tickets, he's definitely money ahead. He'd rather get the ticket and keep moving, than try to make his case or slow down--but it doesn't help when he's dangling license, registration, and insurance card out the window as if to say hurry up.

Just a little added info..... My oldest son is a LEO in Virginia. Over the years I have learned a lot from him about what is good or bad behavior when stopped. To him (and other officers) having a dark window tint is NOT a safety issue for the occupants of the vehicle. It is a safety issue for HIM. If he can't see inside a vehicle he has stopped he does not know what may be going on inside... maybe a gun pointed at him? Not something anyone would want to approach.

The absolutely best thing you can do if stopped is roll down your window(s) so you are clearly visible and place both hands on top of the steering wheel where the LEO can see them. Same routine for passengers - hands visible. Don't go digging for papers or license until the LEO has approached and asked for them - then tell him where they are before you go after them.

Believe it or not - this routine just might make it less likely to get a ticket for a minor infraction. The LEO is not under as much stress if you do this and just may be nicer..... that is, unless you are in Texas......... then maybe you should offer a cold Dr. Pepper from your fridge.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Question of the day....When you are asked to pull over by a LEO and you have the HDT and trailer is it OK to

pull of the highway the next exit or parking lot? What is the best way to "communicate" your intentions to the LEO?

Here in my neck of the country when an LEO asks for a "visit" I like to put my "four ways" on to let the officer know I "see" them and I am getting off the freeway at the next exit and will find a safe place to pull over. So far this has been appreciated by the officers i have met, but I would if would be OK in other parts of the country?

Just a little added info..... My oldest son is a LEO in Virginia. Over the years I have learned a lot from him about what is good or bad behavior when stopped. To him (and other officers) having a dark window tint is NOT a safety issue for the occupants of the vehicle. It is a safety issue for HIM. If he can't see inside a vehicle he has stopped he does not know what may be going on inside... maybe a gun pointed at him? Not something anyone would want to approach.

The absolutely best thing you can do if stopped is roll down your window(s) so you are clearly visible and place both hands on top of the steering wheel where the LEO can see them. Same routine for passengers - hands visible. Don't go digging for papers or license until the LEO has approached and asked for them - then tell him where they are before you go after them.

Believe it or not - this routine just might make it less likely to get a ticket for a minor infraction. The LEO is not under as much stress if you do this and just may be nicer..... that is, unless you are in Texas......... then maybe you should offer a cold Dr. Pepper from your fridge.

That's definitely my routine, and to add to it, turn on the dome light at night. (Except in the many newer vehicles that don't have a dome light switch any more, then it's just a map light) I also make a point of setting the brake and taking my foot off of the brake pedal, so that an attempt to flee looks a little less likely. When asked for something, I usually say something about where it's located (as in "Yes sir/ma'am, that's over in the glove box").

I find the officer safety argument a little less than genuine though, when you see the exceptions carved out for things like limos, SUVs, and vans. In many cases, all but the front windows and windshield could be tinted totally dark in those vehicles, and you could have the back seat and/or cargo area filled to the point the officer couldn't see from behind and still be legal. Someone in the back seat of a limo or van with a gun is just as much of a threat to an officer as someone in a 4-door car.

Question of the day....When you are asked to pull over by a LEO and you have the HDT and trailer is it OK to

pull of the highway the next exit or parking lot? What is the best way to "communicate" your intentions to the LEO?

Here in my neck of the country when an LEO asks for a "visit" I like to put my "four ways" on to let the officer know I "see" them and I am getting off the freeway at the next exit and will find a safe place to pull over. So far this has been appreciated by the officers i have met, but I would if would be OK in other parts of the country?

I could see that being all over the map, depending on where you are. I definitely saw what not to do last week--there was an officer on a major divided highway, standing on the driver's side of another vehicle with the ticketing process on full display. They were in the right of 2 through lanes (55 mph speed limit!), just over a rise in an area with a narrow shoulder. Less than 100 yards up was a large, well-lit parking lot that would have seemed like a much more reasonable spot to chat. But I can also see an officer wondering what you might be trying to do or hide by waiting to stop, which would do just the opposite of the stuff that Randy talked about.

My notebook is arranged like Big5er cause I got the idea from him. I have an index page, my truck and trailer registration, truck and trailer insurance, TN statute concerning license requirements for an RV with the appropriate passage highlighted (so the LEO doesn't have to read the whole page), and a copy of the highlighted passage governing proper location of the license plate for a Motorhome. TN only issues one plate and by statute it goes on BACK of the motorhome. Even some of the TN troopers don't know that info. Ask Steve Dixon. I also have a copy of the federal guidelines that define a motorhome just in case.

IMHO opinion put any concise info that supports the way you're doing things as being legal. But be smart, don't have all the states length requirements in there if you're over length.

Hi Carl,

There seems to be a good conversion going on here. What do you think about this post as a seminar for a rally in the upcoming future ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived