Parking on grass

moorski

We are going to park our 45' Entegra Cornerstone on grass for 1-2 months. We have never parked on grass. We have heavy duty jack pads but were wondering if anyone knows if we need something under the tires to protect them. If yes, what are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Moore

The most important thing is that the tires should not be parked in standing water ...or where water will pool and stay. Putting vapor barriers under the tires would be a good idea ... plastic, wood, even rubber mats.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I agree with Paul, but would add that I'd place some sort of material under the wheels to make sure that they don't settle into the ground to collect moisture, even with the moisture barrier. I like to use at least 2" lumber under all wheels with some form of moisture barrier on the top layer. Also, use pads of sufficient dimension to support the full width of the tread. And I also put some type of strong materials under the foot pads of the leveling system to keep them from sinking into the ground.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We parked on grass , once or twice ... I think it was the last time that cost us over 200 bucks to get pulled out and a trip to the quarter car wash to get all the sod and mud from the under carriage . The rig went in to the axles .

Be very careful .

Goes around , comes around .

Position the coach. Mark off the spots the tires will sit. Pull out a few feet. Put down a few bags of gravel in the marked spots for the tires. A shovel and/or rake will help. Back coach into position.

Rain will drain thru the gravel and the tires will remain off the grass. Total cost for the gravel will very likely be under $50.

Position the coach. Mark off the spots the tires will sit. Pull out a few feet. Put down a few bags of gravel in the marked spots for the tires. A shovel and/or rake will help. Back coach into position.

Rain will drain thru the gravel and the tires will remain off the grass. Total cost for the gravel will very likely be under $50.

Hmm ... about 12 tons of coach on a bit over 500 square inches ... It seems that gravel would have to be pretty thick not to get well mingled with the sod . Maybe if the gravel was left in the bags ? That would make clean up a lot easier , too . But ???

Goes around , comes around .

Don't know of a single park that would allow you to dump gravel on their grass.

Along with spreading the load weight via pads or lumber, some consideration might be directed to the grass growing and the ingress of critters and insects from that growing grass. Also, upon departure, if the grass underneath has dried out consideration of fire hazards when starting or running your rig wouldn't be a bad idea.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

I have consistently parked my fifth wheel on grass and dirt (don't have much choice where I live). I have always put a 4-6ft length of wood underneath the tires, making sure that it is also wider than the tires. I then put an 8ft board down underneath the jacks, from side to side so that both jacks are on the board, and then add another square board below each foot jack.

I always made sure that either the hitch is over packed gravel or that I never try to pull out when it is wet. I have never had an issue with this set-up. I do the same for my stock trailer.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

None of the above posts are relevant without taking local conditions into consideration.

How wet? How clay? How dry? The grass part is just the surface and has NOTHING to do with suitability.

Every place is different.

Some would be fine for 6 moths, some would be a problem in 6 hours.

"nuff said.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

If you are parking on grass then moisture must be present which is a bad thing for any undercarriage. I once parked a Buick Lesabre on grass for a year and the brakes rusted so bad that none of the wheels would rotate when I went to move it. Granted, a year is a long time on grass, but I would advise putting a tarp or moisture barrier under any vehicle parked on grass for a month or more. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Greg

Archived