Upgrading My Seats

bmzero

In keeping with my long time tradition of trying to cram too much work into the truck before each event, I have decided to upgrade the seats in my truck before the ECR. I mean, we have almost two weeks. What could possibly go wrong??? Rhetorical.

I will be using these:

fa1c460c-175e-49f5-8ffa-86739c948f16-s.j
They are 2nd row seats from a 2015 Toyota Sienna van. They're about the only sporty looking seats I have found that have arm rests on both sides and aren't $2k. I'm not a fan of the air ride on the truck seats, but I will most likely put these seats on top of the existing air platform in case someone down the line would prefer the air ride.
All of the seat belt parts unbolt from these seats very cleanly. It should be a clean install, but will require a custom bracket for the seat bases.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Comfortable seats make all the difference in the world. As long as you get the angle correct they will be good.

Agreed. The angle is everything. I'm going to make the seat base angle adjustable.

Speaking of Angle....bmzero, what would be wrong with loosening the front bolts on the seat pedestals ( or where there mounted on the top of the pedestals ) and sliding a few washers in there. Just enough to lift the front a 1/2 " or so....

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

We used Pontiac Ventura 2nd row seats which had arm rests on both sides and a built in drink holder on the passenger seat. Made our own mounting brackets to angle the seat back some. I think the seats cost us $50 for the pair. You can check them out at the ECR if you wish

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

bmzero, I installed a Sears Elite 4 weeks ago. I took the existing base and cut it to 2 1/4". Then got a 1/4" plate drilled it to match the bolt pattern on the new air ride welded it to the short base and Bingo. Spliced into the driver seat air line and the DW is really happy. She sure didn't want to make the run to the ECR in that old straight back no A/R seat. It doesn't match my seat and it looks even better. I like your 2 seats. They sure look good. The Elite is on loan and if I can't talk him out of it for a decent price I'll be pulling it out and doing something. Your pair would be a good unit to find. More to fellow What is the difference between a 610 and a 630? The year?. Pat

The Old Sailor

Speaking of Angle....bmzero, what would be wrong with loosening the front bolts on the seat pedestals ( or where there mounted on the top of the pedestals ) and sliding a few washers in there. Just enough to lift the front a 1/2 " or so....

I believe I'll be able to drill holes for multiple bolts in the front and rear of the mount. Going to a higher bolt hole will angle the seat base as needed (in front or rear).

What is the difference between a 610 and a 630? The year?

Yes, the 610 is a Gen 1 truck as where the 630 is a Gen 2 truck.

DW is really happy. She sure didn't want to make the run to the ECR in that old straight back no A/R seat. It doesn't match my seat and it looks even better. I like your 2 seats. They sure look good. The Elite is on loan and if I can't talk him out of it for a decent price I'll be pulling it out and doing something.

The Old Sailor

Pat -- Face the music, you own the seat now. If she is going from a straight back no air seat to a Sears Elite, you are not going to get her out of it. Spend some time in it yourself going down the road and you will be looking for the matching one for yourself.

When we purchased our truck our seats did not match. No big deal did not matter to us. The DW was always moving between the passenger seat and the bunk as she could not get comfortable. The drivers seat on the other hand I could do 6 to 8 hours before it started to get uncomfortable. The first time she drove the truck for more than a hour I learned how uncomfortable the passenger seat really was. I kept pointing out rest area and pull outs hoping she would pull over so we could switch drivers. That trip we agreed it was time to replace the seats.

It seams that the countless hours of truck driver(s) tail ends parked in the seats had taken their toll on the seats more than we had realized. Oh what a difference the two new Sears Elite seats made. Now when we get out of the truck after a long day in the seats we no longer feel soar and tired the way we did in the old seats. The only problem is the DW is vertically challenged. So in order for her feet to rest flat on the floor she was unable to inflate the seat the proper pressure. On bigger bumps the seat would bottom out and that sudden stop was tough on her back. I had some scrap A/C plywood so I made her a box/stool for the floor in front of the seat, problem solved. Seat is properly inflated and no longer bottoms out on big bumps all while her feet are comfortably flat on the floor and not hanging like before.

Replacing the seats in our truck was the one project we wished we had done sooner instead of later. If we had only known what a difference it would make. So prepare yourself, a trip to the ECR and back and you will own the seat. Might as well make them matching while you are it.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

BMZero, I'm looking forward to this project of yours, it should be very worthwhile.

Personally I went with black leather seat from Audi A8, I kept all the A8 electric stuff, and the air-ride, it is well worth the time to do the fit up.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Our seats are on the list for replacement. Issue is the passenger side is a low back with no arm rests, but is air ride. Drivers side is a high back with internal air bags for lumbar and whatnot, but the bags leak badly, and the air ride pedestal works when it wants to, has to be adjusted daily or sometimes hourly. Haven't been able to find a replacement leveling valve for the seat itself.

Anyone have a link to just the air ride base?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

BMZero, I'm looking forward to this project of yours, it should be very worthwhile.

Personally I went with black leather seat from Audi A8, I kept all the A8 electric stuff, and the air-ride, it is well worth the time to do the fit up.

Rick

Thanks, Rick. A8 seats would be nice!

The seats shipped today. They should be here Friday.

Rick, I have the feeling you are right but we'll know for sure in 3 weeks. By that time who knows were this thread and bmzero will lead us. Should be interesting and with bm leading the charge it should be a work of art. Pat

The Old Sailor

Looking forward to seeing them. Can't justify replacement just yet, but sure would like to have something different for the couple times a year I do 500 to 2000 miles in a few days.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We went with Sesrs Elite Seats about 5 yrs ago. Was a good move from the worn out factory Nationals. We like the Sears seats.

Got the adapters at the same time $60 Ea. Install done in ATL Kenwirth parking lot ourselves. Took an hour.

Funny part was sold the old seats on Craig's list and the guy met us at the KW dealer. He even helped change. We motored away with trailer to Canada. He was thrilled with the old seats.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The seats came in today and I couldn't help but get started on the install.

It was significantly more work to get all of the nonessential brackets/cables/linkages/etc. removed from driver's seat than I thought it would be. There was a point where I was pretty sure I just wasted a pile of money, but then it happened. I was able to get enough of the brackets stripped off and cut off to get a proper angle on the seat base and went for a test sit. They're EXACTLY what I wanted them to be. I couldn't be happier with them, especially for the money. They still have that new car smell, too.

Two brand new leather seats for $500 ($250 of that was shipping). Can't beat that.

I should be able to get the driver's seat mounted tomorrow evening. I'm not sure I'll have the passenger seat mounted before pulling out for the rally.

07457b16-5442-43cd-a8b7-091da295f91a-s.j

BMZero Can't wait to see them up close. Where were they they shipped from? For $250 I might have taken a Ranger ride. Leaving tomorrow Early AM I hope. Plan on making Blacksburg Va tomorrow. I don't think I'll be on inet after tonight. So I'll see you there. Have a safe trip. Pat

The Old Sailor

BMZero Can't wait to see them up close. Where were they they shipped from? For $250 I might have taken a Ranger ride. Leaving tomorrow Early AM I hope. Plan on making Blacksburg Va tomorrow. I don't think I'll be on inet after tonight. So I'll see you there. Have a safe trip. Pat

The Old Sailor

Ha. I understand that. It was flat rate for the shipping and included the crate and packaging. They were packed well. I'm not disappointed in the shipping.

Have a safe trip. See you there.

Driver's seat is installed. Now I just need to trim the plastic trim pieces to fit.

I was in the shop at 5 this morning to get it knocked out. That's going to make for a long day, but now I'm a little ahead of schedule for the ECR departure. I'm sure that'll change soon, though.

Getting the seat positioned like I wanted was definitely more work than I expected. If you're thinking about doing something similar to your truck (second row seats from mini van), be prepared to spend hours cutting and shaping the donor seat. It's going to be worth it in the end, but definitely a big project.

bmzero - did a similar swap a few years back removing the National's and replacing with Honda Odyssey second row seating. The nicest thing is that I was able to retain the back bolster air bags (lumbar, etc.) from the National's - they fit into the Honda seats easily. I did not use the side bolster air bags. I also added vibrator motors for sleepy butt syndrome (long trips), electric seat heater and cooling ducts I can hook up in the summer that run from the rear compartment AC. I'm happy but still look for a compatible set of leathers with all the electric controls and, as you noted, dual armrest when I roam seating from the auto recycler (junk yard). Not having the armrest on seats eliminates any possibilities I have run across in the bone yards. I think you will be very happy with your conversion.

passengersidelookingdownview.jpg

driversideswitches.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

bmero - did a similar swap a few years back removing the National's and replacing with Honda Odyssey second row seating. The nicest thing is that I was able to retain the back bolster air bags (lumbar, etc.) from the National's - they fit into the Honda seats easily. I did not use the side bolster air bags. I also added vibrator motors for sleepy butt syndrome (long trips), electric seat heater and cooling ducts I can hook up in the summer that run from the rear compartment AC. I'm happy but still look for a compatible set of leathers with all the electric controls and, as you noted, dual armrest when I roam seating from the auto recycler (junk yard). Not having the armrest on seats eliminates any possibilities I have run across in the bone yards. I think you will be very happy with your conversion.

Thanks, Randy. Yours look good as well. I kept my previous air ride seat deflated. I don't like the bounce, so I wasn't too concerned about keeping all of the air. I did, however keep the one circuit that raises and lowers the seat in case someone else wanted to bounce going down the road.

The leather covers on these seats are secured with pretty nice zippers. I have considered taking them off and installing heaters/lumbar, but that's a project for another day. I did keep the power and ground wires close to the seat just in case.

I had not thought about robbing the back cycler and other component from the other seats. I may look into that. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Mamacita! See what I did there? Mama, seat-uh.

After bribing her to test sit a few times, I was able to get her perfect seat angle on the new seats. Then, after burning it in, we took a short (~2 hour) road trip to an evening dinner getaway. The verdict - resounding success. She was very happy with the angle, large seat bottom (so she can sit on her feet for some reason) and improved ride quality.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the choice in these seats. Yes, it's far from a bolt in upgrade, but for $250 (both seats not including shipping) and a few hours with the welder, it can't be beat. Added bonus - now, the truck smells like new leather!

All I need to do now is modify the plastic trim pieces and reinstall them to cover up the mechanics of the seats. I was also informed that it would be in my best interest to install a seat heater in the passenger seat.

c8803d7e-6b15-4591-b5fd-2b25f2a5ae97-s.j

I knew there was something I missed looking at while at the rally. Glad you and your wife like them.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

bmzero The seat looked great at the ECR and the double looks twice as good! Happy wives make happy shops!! Glad we got to meet but next time for a little longer. If you get up here don't forget to call! Pat

The Old Sailor

For those Looking for replacement air ride seats. Keep in mind most manufacturers make what they call LOWRIDER seats that have a much lower base.

They where designed mainly for the cool factor in show trucks but work great for shorter people.

I have a set and love them with full reclining ability.

I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'8"

Archived