Carefree of colorado awning room

mrdfred

We have a 25' TT and would like to expand our living space. Has anyone used an awning add on room to expand their living space like the Carefree Vacation'r Screen Room? How has it worked? What problems can I anticipate?

We have a 25' TT and would like to expand our living space. Has anyone used an awning add on room to expand their living space like the Carefree Vacation'r Screen Room? How has it worked? What problems can I anticipate?

I have thought about using one over the last 40 years and haven't. I was always concerned about the work & time to put it up and take it down. Then if the wind comes up how long do you wait till you feel the wind is too high and start taking it down. What if you have waited too long to take it down?

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I have thought about using one over the last 40 years and haven't. I was always concerned about the work & time to put it up and take it down. Then if the wind comes up how long do you wait till you feel the wind is too high and start taking it down. What if you have waited too long to take it down?

I have always had the same thoughts and therefor we never spent the money for one.

Another, and probably less expensive, way to go is to buy a free standing canopy with sides. They can be found in various sizes. They have the advantage of being able to be moved around in your campsite, if say a better view is available, or space next to the coach is not. And, if you get the ones with the sealed bottom and mosquito netting sides - they sure can come in handy for the bugs:)!

(We did Alaska in 2014. We ran into an informal group of ladies traveling in three vehicles (Class A, C and B) with a assorted mix of dogs and cats too... We kept bumping into them at various locations for night stops, over about a two week period. (Then they went counter clockwise and we went counter clockwise, from TOK on up.) They sat out most evenings with wine, and snacks, inside the protected comfort of their canopy awning mosquito protecting empire:)! We joined them a few times, and enjoyed meeting them and we all shared different varieties of wine... And a few scotches may have been consumed too:)!)

Just another option to consider. Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

During our seventeen years of full-timing we have used screen room add-ons for probably ten of them. The added space is nice to have. Our first one was made by Dometic and, in my humble opinion, was very flimsy. It lasted until the first bad windstorm which ripped it up pretty badly. We then went to a Carefree which we were very happy with and withstood several heavy storms. That one was sold with our motorhome. We bought another Carefree to go with our next rig and are very happy with it. Setup with the Carefree is easy, taking maybe ten minutes the first time. After that it is probably no more than five. Staking it down as well as using small spring clamps to attach the screen room to the awning sides helps it survive all but the severest of winds.

As an earlier poster mentioned, one of those 10 x 10 canopies with sides is probably cheaper and easier to deal with. The only problem I can see with that is having to store it when on the move. It folds down to about five feet long whereas the Carefree awning compacts into a bag about three feet long by two(?) feet wide.

We just bought the Carefree Vacation'r Screen Room and will give it a try next week during Spring Break. It looks like most if not all of the comments are positive. Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how our trip and the Carefree Vacation'r Screen Room works out. :rolleyes:

Archived