Map Software / Navigation Tool Recommendations?

SpaceNorman

My wife and I are in our second day of our first extended trip outside our state - and for the first time are in areas that are completely unfamiliar to us. We've quickly come to realize that we've got some work to do when it comes to the navigator's role. We've also come to realize that while the coach's GPS system is great for the driver and "what's the next turn" sort of navigation - it's not well suited for keeping track of the "big picture".

We're now in the market for better tools to put at the navigator's disposal. What I'd really like to find is a software application that provides the following functionality:

• Ability to recommend a route based on a starting point, a destination and any specific waypoints specified.
  • Ability to use location services to constantly/automatically update "current" location in near real time.
  • Stats ​regarding time/distance to destination and/or distance traveled from start.
  • Ability to toggle betwe​en "map view" and "satellite view" (so that navigator can reconnoiter "tight areas" (i.e., see the layout of wherever we need to stop ... such as fuel stops, parking lots, etc.)
  • It needs to run an iPad device
  • Offline Map functionality would be nice - but not an absolute requirement

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks! ​

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

We've used Delorme Street Atlas for over 20 years. We don't stay on interstates and enjoy secondary roads. We put in vias the way WE want to go. You can create the map offline and transfer it to a Garman GPS for the driver's navigation. It works for us.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I use a Garmin GPS unit and plan my trips using Garmin "Base Camp" software which I then copy to the GPS unit itself. This is Windows based software so your IPAD requirement might rule it out. Also, it DOES NOT provide satellite views, only map views. However, it does show a photo of major exit ramps when approaching them.

I like it for the ability to plan my route with way points. I also have a "Low Clearance" POI data base that warns me of any low clearance issues as we travel down the road.

Like 2gypsies, I also used Street Atlas for many years and like it very well.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

My wife and I are in our second day of our first extended trip outside our state - and for the first time are in areas that are completely unfamiliar to us. We've quickly come to realize that we've got some work to do when it comes to the navigator's role. We've also come to realize that while the coach's GPS system is great for the driver and "what's the next turn" sort of navigation - it's not well suited for keeping track of the "big picture".

What is the big picture? What type of RV do you have? Is height, weight and length the concern?

We're now in the market for better tools to put at the navigator's disposal. What I'd really like to find is a software application that provides the following functionality:

• Ability to recommend a route based on a starting point, a destination and any specific waypoints specified.
  • Ability to use location services to constantly/automatically update "current" location in near real time.
  • Stats ​regarding time/distance to destination and/or distance traveled from start.
  • Ability to toggle betwe​en "map view" and "satellite view" (so that navigator can reconnoiter "tight areas" (i.e., see the layout of wherever we need to stop ... such as fuel stops, parking lots, etc.)

Why do you need to switch to a satellite view?

• It needs to run an iPad device

Why? I have an Ipad and do not use it when we are traveling.

• Offline Map functionality would be nice - but not an absolute requirement

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks! ​

I use a Garmin Dezl 760 for routing me when I'm towing our 5ver. It also has lifetime map updates. It is programed for the rigs specs so it routes us safely. it is loaded with a ton of waypoints. I use Google Earth to get a birds eye view if I need it. So there might not be one product that will give you everything you want. Between my GPS and Ipad I can do everything I need to do.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I use MS Streets & Trips for pre-planning. I use a Rand Mcnally or Garmin gps enroute with Google Maps or Google Earth on my Android phone (I inagine they are available for iPhone too) for satellite views or proxinity searches along the way

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

You seem to want to be connected to the internet all the time. What happens when there is no coverage? We do overall planning in about 1 week increments, each night we do the next days planning in better detail. We do use online if we have it but are well prepared with offline programs is we need them(a good majority of the time).

It sounds like you have a good portion of your tool chest filled already. Couple of things:

1) what on earth is forcing you to drive 500 mile days?? Slow down my friend, slow down.

2) Spend the $29-$39 for a good road atlas. Consider one that includes the trucker info since your 43ft rig does need a bit more room and you'll want to know grade and clearance info. The atlas is good for planning, especially for spur of the moment deviations and does give you a nice overview. If you travel west in the future, the atlas will give you the offline capability you WILL need.

3) Google Maps is a very good source for traveling provided you approach it with the knowledge it does not consider your rig's dimensions.

4) Check out the Good Sam trip planner, there are quite a few extras that provide tourism options, campground info etc.

Personally we have an atlas, an android tablet, a Garmin RV760 and a smartphone. We use several online sources like the GS trip planner, rvparkreviews and various searches to name a few to find the routes and destinations. Our leisurely travel pace (rarely more than 250 miles in a day) accommodates spur of the moment squirrel chases, bright and shiny looksees, and some wanderings.

As for tight places and such the satellite views will help IF you have connectivity but count on there being times where you'll not. Keep in mind the one block rule: Never hesitate to go round the block to size up a stopping place - even if it is a 5 mile block.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

A GPS would solve a lot of your problems. I would guess a Garmin RV760 would meet your needs. You can put in your height. Then you can use Base Camp to plan your route and upload it to the Garmin. I don;t have a RV760(on wish list) so others can tell you more.

Most people travel 200-300 miles per day tops.

iPad must be "cell phone capable" or a Bluetooth GPS Then CoPilot GPS will work for some things you want.

• Ability to recommend a route based on a starting point, a destination and any specific waypoints specified. YES
  • Ability to use location services to constantly/automatically update "current" location in near real time. YES
  • Stats ​regarding time/distance to destination and/or distance traveled from start. All but distance traveled from start
  • Ability to toggle betwe​en "map view" and "satellite view" (so that navigator can reconnoiter "tight areas" (i.e., see the layout of wherever we need to stop ... such as fuel stops, parking lots, etc.) NO use your google earth for that
  • It needs to run an iPad device YES
  • Offline Map functionality would be nice - but not an absolute requirement YES all data is loaded on the iPad no cell service/WiFi needed to use off line

Anybody have any recommendations? YES CoPilot

Thanks! ​You are Welcome :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We've used Delorme Street Atlas for over 20 years. We don't stay on interstates and enjoy secondary roads. We put in vias the way WE want to go. You can create the map offline and transfer it to a Garman GPS for the driver's navigation. It works for us.

y

Totally agree. Paper maps work great for an overall picture. We do our heavier research on the computer and with travel books in advance.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Keep in mind that it wasn't too long ago that folks didn't have any of this technology and they got by just fine with a road atlas or individual maps of states. If you don't have all that you're asking for you be o.k. Relax and drive shorter days! :)

Full-timed for 16 Years

I have ben using CoPiolet for a couple of years. I have found it to be very good. I like that the maps and other info can be down loaded where you have Wi Fi so it doesn't cost agents data usage and you don't need a connection to use it. I know some are surprised but there are places with no phone or other connections. I have it on my phone tablet.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

You might want to look at RVNotepad for some of your needs, like "keeping track of the big picture."

I've used MS Streets & Maps, but since it is no longer supported and MS has stopped production, I've been looking for something for my iPhone (which has minor GPS capability), since I recently got an iPhone 6s plus.

SpaceNorman - Since starting this thread, what apps have you discovered that work on your iPad?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I have ben using CoPiolet for a couple of years. I have found it to be very good. I like that the maps and other info can be down loaded where you have Wi Fi so it doesn't cost agents data usage and you don't need a connection to use it. I know some are surprised but there are places with no phone or other connections. I have it on my phone tablet.

Bill

Been using CoPilot since 2003. Can attest to places with no "bars" like in the middle of Nevada.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

If you have an iPad with cellular, so it has a real GPS, you can install "Rand McNally RV GPS". Some friends love it. I haven't tried it myself, since I do not have a compatible device.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for the responses.

In response to Rynosback's questions .....

What is the big picture? What type of RV do you have? Is height, weight and length the concern?

My "big picture" comment refers to keeping a sense where we're at in terms of "town to town" travel. Our current trip took us thru Columbus, Charleston, Charlottle, Columbia and almost a second Charleston enroute to our destination in Florida. All of this was in a swath of the country that's unfamiliar to us. We found that after a bit, all the "C" names started to blend together. The dashboard GPS doesn't zoom in an out to show city names without some work - which isn't something I care to screw with while I'm driving. I'd rather have a map tool in the hands of the "navigator" that shows our current location - and can zoom in and out at desired to see a larger stretch of our route.

Our coach is a large diesel pusher (2012 HR Endeavor 43 DFT). The coach is 44' 3" tip to tail. With our toad (2012 Jeep Liberty) on - we're within inches of 65' in length. We've got a gross combined vehicle weight of roughly 47,000 lbs. Max vehicle height is 12' 7". We're cognizant of our size - but not preoccupied by it.

​​​

We use the satellite view to reconnoiter our immediate surroundings when we're in potentially "tight quarters". For example, we're regular Kroger shoppers at home - and have lots of Kroger Fuel points available to us. Our "regular" Kroger at home is in a huge shopping plaza with a fuel station that has more than enough room to handle a 65' coach/toad combination. When we needed fuel in southern Ohio - a quick query showed us that there was a Kroger (with a fuel station) less than a mile off the freeway. However, when we looked at the satellite view it was clear that the fuel station would certainly NOT accommodate a vehicle of our size. In another instance - we exited the freeway to hit a McDonalds (who's freeway sign reported "semi's welcome") for a cup of coffee and a driver change. Upon reaching the top of the exit - we didn't see the expected "on ramp" we'd be taking when we got back on the freeway. With a quick look at the satellite view - we were able to ascertain where​ we needed to enter and park at the McDonalds and quickly figure out where we needed to go to get back onto the freeway.

I hate fumbling with paper maps - especially if the lighting isn't great. If I've got a choice - I prefer a screen of some sort. With that said - for this purpose (primarily point and click type applications) - I like the format of the iPad. It fits perfectly in the little molded storage space next to the passenger seat - so it's in easy reach when needed. I've got several very useful travel planning tools (AllStays, RVParky, GasBuddy, etc.) on the iPad already ... so it's already a part of my toolkit

The comments about cellular service are well founded - and one I've put a lot of thought (and $$) into. I work from my coach - so connectivity is critical to me for more than just surfing the web and trip planning. I've installed a Cradlepoint router (provisioned on the Verizon cellular network) and a Weboost Drive 4G-x cellular signal booster in the hopes that will make the most of what cellular signal is available to me. On 1,300 or so miles between home and our destination in Florida - I'm not aware of us having ever been without a working cell connection. I know the time will come that I'll hit a dead spot ... but, so far - so good. :-)

To those who have pointed out that folks didn't have all this technology in the old days and lived to tell about it just fine - I realize that. I simply prefer to stack the deck in my favor to the extent that I can. I'll give the Delorme and GPS CoPilot app a look!

Thanks for all the responses!

The Spacenorman

2012 Jeep Liberty

Google Maps not perfect but covers most if not all of the needs list given.

General Help Descriptions of all funtions

Also My Maps to save routes and locations - view through Maps - create in brower

Supplement with Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas Deluxe - Deluxe version holds up better over time

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Well, for your first 'big picture' explanation, I'd really recommend Delorme for the navigator. It shows so much detail by zooming. The driver in our case uses a Garmin GPS but it doesn't give any details. We've always liked to see what's in the surrounding area and the navigator can do so, talk about it to the driver and discuss whether to make a side trip or not.

Full-timed for 16 Years

Thanks for the responses.

In response to Rynosback's questions .....

My "big picture" comment refers to keeping a sense where we're at in terms of "town to town" travel. Our current trip took us thru Columbus, Charleston, Charlottle, Columbia and almost a second Charleston enroute to our destination in Florida. All of this was in a swath of the country that's unfamiliar to us. We found that after a bit, all the "C" names started to blend together. The dashboard GPS doesn't zoom in an out to show city names without some work - which isn't something I care to screw with while I'm driving. I'd rather have a map tool in the hands of the "navigator" that shows our current location - and can zoom in and out at desired to see a larger stretch of our route.

​My wife does ALOT of research on what to see and do along our travels and when we land for a couple of weeks or months if we like the area. We traveled 12 years ago with a class c and used maps, paper ones. But now the traveling is SO much better with the GPSs. As we are full timers and have never been to any of these places. But is sounds like you are more traveling through to your destination vs us sitting for a while and exploring the areas cool things to see and meet the locals.

Our coach is a large diesel pusher (2012 HR Endeavor 43 DFT). The coach is 44' 3" tip to tail. With our toad (2012 Jeep Liberty) on - we're within inches of 65' in length. We've got a gross combined vehicle weight of roughly 47,000 lbs. Max vehicle height is 12' 7". We're cognizant of our size - but not preoccupied by it.

It looks like your length and weight are the big issues. Sometimes it looks like my Garmin is routing me out of the way, but then I think there must be a reason why. It has not gotten us into ANY problems so far. I am about 57 long, 13' 5" tall and about 33ish lbs. My biggest concern was height. We are not preoccupied with ours either, but you need to be aware.

​​​

We use the satellite view to reconnoiter our immediate surroundings when we're in potentially "tight quarters". For example, we're regular Kroger shoppers at home - and have lots of Kroger Fuel points available to us. Our "regular" Kroger at home is in a huge shopping plaza with a fuel station that has more than enough room to handle a 65' coach/toad combination. When we needed fuel in southern Ohio - a quick query showed us that there was a Kroger (with a fuel station) less than a mile off the freeway. However, when we looked at the satellite view it was clear that the fuel station would certainly NOT accommodate a vehicle of our size. In another instance - we exited the freeway to hit a McDonalds (who's freeway sign reported "semi's welcome") for a cup of coffee and a driver change. Upon reaching the top of the exit - we didn't see the expected "on ramp" we'd be taking when we got back on the freeway. With a quick look at the satellite view - we were able to ascertain where​ we needed to enter and park at the McDonalds and quickly figure out where we needed to go to get back onto the freeway.

​Somethings are just hit or miss. I have parked several blocks or several miles away with the rig and took the car were we wanted to go. I try to play it on the safe side to make moving as stressful as possible. Your satellite view is more then likely a couple of years old. We are in TX right now and the amount of construction is CRAZY. Constantly looking at signs and what the GPS says not just the map on the GPS. As things change. And I just updated my Garmin maps and the Mazda maps, our touring car.

I hate fumbling with paper maps - especially if the lighting isn't great. If I've got a choice - I prefer a screen of some sorthone . With that said - for this purpose (primarily point and click type applications) - I like the format of the iPad. It fits perfectly in the little molded storage space next to the passenger seat - so it's in easy reach when needed. I've got several very useful travel planning tools (AllStays, RVParky, GasBuddy, etc.) on the iPad already ... so it's already a part of my toolkit

I had a flip phone before we started. We bought an I phone and I Pad as we knew we needed it to travel. I LOOKED for all sorts of options like you for my I pad. But I did not find a routing software that could touch the Garmin I bought.

The comments about cellular service are well founded - and one I've put a lot of thought (and $$) into. I work from my coach - so connectivity is critical to me for more than just surfing the web and trip planning. I've installed a Cradlepoint router (provisioned on the Verizon cellular network) and a Weboost Drive 4G-x cellular signal booster in the hopes that will make the most of what cellular signal is available to me. On 1,300 or so miles between home and our destination in Florida - I'm not aware of us having ever been without a working cell connection. I know the time will come that I'll hit a dead spot ... but, so far - so good. :-

Hit and miss and out of your control. Some people have two phones with two different carriers to better there odds. So far Verizon has been good on our travels.

To those who have pointed out that folks didn't have all this technology in the old days and lived to tell about it just fine - I realize that. I simply prefer to stack the deck in my favor to the extent that I can. I'll give the Delorme and GPS CoPilot app a look!

Thanks for all the responses!

In blue

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

But is sounds like you are more traveling through to your destination vs us sitting for a while and exploring the areas cool things to see and meet the locals.​

Not this trip, not in January. When a Michigander fires up their coach in the middle of winter - 99% of 'em point it south and hightail it to somewhere warm. In our case, we've got a six week window for this trip - and were happy to drive longer days to get our first destination in Florida - foregoing the sights and experiences along our route - in order to maximize the time we spend somewhere warmer. We'll visit the areas we passed thru en route to Florida on a future trip when the weather's warmer.

The Spacenorman

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our tools include Delorme Street Atlas for overview long range planning. Our latest route was Rochester NY to Aguanga CA via Charlottesville VA and St Petersburg FL for a couple of vias we inserted.

Each morning after studying the route to our next overnight - in our case roughly 250 miles - I set the intended route into the onboard NAV system using vias to divert from the "best" route to stay on our best route (we have done this many times). While driving Navigator has BIG picture using FMCA Road Atlas keeping "Next Exit" handy if we are on interstates and might want a rest area. We always have access to Google maps for a close look ahead. We are a Diesel Pusher we only fuel at truck stops, prefer Flying J or Pilot, but ANY truck stop has plenty of room and will pump 100 gal of diesel in under 5 minutes rather than the Kroger or Murphy car stations which can take as long as 15 min to fill. For a decent discount on fuel get the RV Flying J/Pilot charge card from GoodSam. We are life members and get 6 (8 cents?) cents a gal off. Don't have to worry about maneuvering space in a truck stop.

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

I have Delorme, MS streets and trips and Base Camp on my laptop and use the MS product more than any of the others. I am very disappointed that MS stopped supporting it. I got a separate GPS receiver to plug into my laptop that lets me view my location in real time on MS streets or DeLorme. I find I dont use it. I rely on my Garmin GPS 760RV for navigation on the road and it seems to work fine for me. I use Google earth to scope out locations when I'm in the planning stage. My wife is usually sitting in the passenger seat and she's not very computer savvy so asking her to manage the navigation tasks on the computer wouldnt work well, plus we dont always have an internet connection especially when boondocking.

Archived