MPG

remoandiris

It may not matter to you, but it does matter to me...a person researching HDTs.

If I have a choice between 2 similar trucks, and one gets 7 mpg while the other gets 10 mpg, the 10 mpg truck has the edge. In a 10,000 trip, the cost savings is over $1,000. BTW, last year I put over 13,000 on my LGT pulling my 5er. That is one 6-month trip. The fuel cost savings add up year after year after year.

It appears fuel economy isn't big on the HDT owner list of importance. That is fine. However, to simply dismiss a thread because it doesn't fit your personal needs is narrow-minded, IMO. Unless you can afford to throw away $1,000 a year.

Just sayin.

You may not have read my earlier post on mpg? I was pointing out mpg by 1 or 2 mpg difference usually will not stop someone from buYing their truck most times. Any format of RV'ing short of a "Subaru style of camping" is not the most fuel efficient. Jack has laid the plan "8 - 10k" set aside for repairs! Those that cannot head this warning, may be in for a huge suprise! Some never need all of it. But you will need it, heck it's a used truck. No doubt, HDT's are more expensive to maintain, something that must be considered. Diesel is more expensive than gas, also. This will not be your daily driver, no matter what you may think. Just not practical, that's why most here along with myself carry a "toad". In closing from a practical, efficient, ease of use Rv. From my perspective, HDT's are not that. If you choose to take on this labor of love on the care and feeding of these magnificent beast, without judgement or refrain. You will be rewarded with one of the safest, smoothest forms of moving as much "crap" as you would ever choose to take! From campground to backwoods.

So to paraphrase "(MPG) "Does it really even matter?"

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like aero trucks - and I do - that is one heck of a nice truck.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Monkey see monkey do... http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/supertruck-full-876.jpg

They both look great, but I've been seeing these things since the late 80's but never in production.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/59/db/01/59db01babd65df2145d4a64ce15f55d9.jpg

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Well......IF the comrades in the party headquarters get national 68MPH electronic limit passed on trucks over 26K it's likely MPG might improve and.........it will take two dry vans 12 miles to pass on I-10 out of Quartzite.....just love it when when we become more......regulated.....

Drive on........(starting a pass at 66 will take some.....miles...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 2 weeks later...

Well......IF the comrades in the party headquarters get national 68MPH electronic limit passed on trucks over 26K it's likely MPG might improve and.........it will take two dry vans 12 miles to pass on I-10 out of Quartzite.....just love it when when we become more......regulated.....

Drive on........(starting a pass at 66 will take some.....miles...)

Back when it was 55 nation wide even on Interstates. Passing was same as it is now, a pain when one car would hang out in the fast lane at 55.8 MPH. And as for MPG, our old cummins 290's were getting 5.1 to 6.3 MPG pulling 80,000 lbs and those trucks were bricks. And when the speed limit was raised to 65 MPH. My old truck still got within .3 MPG as it did at 55.

That truck on page one, Now that is sharp, and Our Government paid for it. That's part of the millions they paid out if you beat 10 MPG on your truck design.

IF they want to save fuel, stop making trucks run 50 miles out of route to go around a big city. Unreal how much fuel is burned going around Memphis Tn each day. If I-40 went straight through town. It would save lots of miles along with fuel. But the Zoo blocked that from every happening.

Pete

event.png

Archived