Have you bought a GPS in the last 12 months?

Velos

We have 2 Tom Tom GPS's one for each vehicle and like their features. (Tom Tom GO and Tom Tom XXL550TM) Specifically I don't mind drilling down the menus to get what I want, in fact I prefer more options then presets. I do use the favorites option, avoid freeways option. I like to see the speed limits on the screen and what my speed is as well as ETA's.

It is time to get a new one and I am having a hard time comparing. While renting a car this summer we used a Garmin NUVI and found it hard to program (could be wear and tear from renters??) and not many options. Sorry I don't know what the model number was.

Some of the new features I have seen in surfing the web are traffic updates with a smart phone and 3d mapping. Don't know if those are good or bad?

Would like to hear from anyone that has purchased a GPS in the last 12 months what benefits and features you were looking for and what brand and model you bought? We don't need and RV specific GPS.

Thank you.

We bought the Garmin 760LMT with the backup camera. It's good and allows us to program our dimensions but as with any GPS it still routes us into questionable areas given the length we have input into our specifications.

The back up camera is clarity is a little less than average for what we need but overall the GPS works fine for us with plenty of POI's.

Lifetime map updates are good and the traffic warnings are included; however, I find Google maps to be a better indicator of congestion.

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Also have the Garmin 760. Added weather via the SmartLink. Really enjoy the webcam option and our family likes the ability to track where we're at.

Programming and such are extremely easy and the POI files are a snap to get. Haven't had a problem of being routed to a questionable area yet; just the opposite in fact as Garmin refused to route us on 101 due to a "low" tunnel in the Florence area (it wasn't) and then wouldn't take us through town in North Bend because it was unsure the accessibility (narrow streets which really weren't).

They have a smaller display version now that looks interesting.

The only downside we've found is the voice commands is not sensitive enough and we are having to yell at the thing on occasion. Um, I yell at it for other reasons too :)

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Just bought a Garmin 5689LMT to replace an aging Garmin that got too slow to handle all the new data that they had added.

To decode the name - 5 is the family, 6 is the screen size, and 89 are the features. LMT stands for lifetime map and traffic updates - I would not be without this feature. So a 5589LMT is the same system but with a 5 inch screen. The designation 89 gets you the maps for North America, Bluetooth and Voice Command - so hands free navigation. I wanted the 6 inch screen and the voice command.

Garmin lists three traffic systems - FM Traffic (which is on my model - get refreshes about every two minutes). Next option up is called Live Traffic - this uses the data plan of your smart phone (which I don't have). New kid on the block is called Digital Traffic and gets updates every 30 seconds - this one is only available on a couple of models as yet. Of course traffic data only works where there are traffic transmitters - which is most metro areas,

Foursquare is a feature that gets you up to date reviews of restaurants etc - but needs your smart phone t work.

So looking at the specs, you need to decide what map coverage - be careful. Lower 48, US and Canada - includes Alaska and Hawaii, US, Canada and Mexico - also available you can add several European countries or All of Europe - but don't pay extra unless you plan to take your GPS over there.

Screen size - bigger is heavier and has shorter battery life.

Do you need special features like backup camera?

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

I bought a TomTom to replace the Garmin that had a screen crap out after less than a year. I bought the Garmin to replace a TomTom that fell off my motorcycle while crossing railroad tracks. I'd had that TomTom for several years.

I prefer TomTom over Garmin.

I do not have a smartphone. A friend of mine told me his Android phone gives him real time traffic updates and directs him to alternate routes when traffic jams or backups are detected. That is better than any GPS I know of.

I do not have a smartphone. A friend of mine told me his Android phone gives him real time traffic updates and directs him to alternate routes when traffic jams or backups are detected. That is better than any GPS I know of.

We have a pair of Garmins and were satisfied with them until we started using Google Maps as a GPS with our Samsung Galaxy phones. One feature I really like is the ability to look something up with Google or TripAdvisor or Yelp and then to just tap on its address and begin navigation without having to enter all the information into the GPS. It's a much cleaner interface.

As for the routing, often multiple route options are offered and all along your way Google notates if, for example, turning at the next intersection instead of going straight provides an alternative route and how much additional time going that way would require. If you do miss a turn or get off-course for any reason, it is much faster at rerouting than any of the GPS's we have used. It literally doesn't even have to say "recalculating", it is simply ready to go.

And as for rerouting when there is serious traffic it can be phenomenal. When there are serious traffic problems it may take you on some strange routes, but it can save you lots of time. We've had that happen firsthand.

If there was a way to get RV or truck specific data I'd never buy another standalone GPS, but until that happens, it is our "go to" GPS for everything except when we're driving the MH.

Yes, it uses data, but Google has made it easier to download maps and use them offline. It won't have the traffic info if you do that, but it would be easier on the data plan.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I am looking right now. I own a car gps and have one installed in my Ford but both of them canget us in trouble with towing. I am always double checking the Rand Motor Carriers guide before we go but I would prefer more computer assisstance. So I am ready to buy today or tomorrow the Gramin RV760LMT on sale for 299.99 for the holiday and I think I am going to bite. http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/3359/Garmin-RV-GPS.html?cid=137349&chid=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1dWyBRDqiJye6LjkhfIBEiQAw06ITtMInkedXaqBKN2g_cAAO7TOk2SgNxQW2WtK7hB_WAEaAixH8P8HAQ

Dave and Lana Hasper

I use the CO-Pilot App for my Samsung Galaxy for 7.99. It has plenty of features and you can upgrade for live traffic. I can program it for my Rv and you can drag your route to modify it. I really like it and so far in 6 months i haven't had any issues. The Google map App is ok but you can't drag the route to modify it or choose RV for an option (as far as I know). I'll continue to use this app for my RV unless at some point it proves unreliable.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

My new TomTom should be here friday or Monday.

GO 60 is the one for me. On sale from TomTom site.

I found a YouTube Video demo of the product and noticed it does not have preset category search options ie Restaurants, Theaters, Golf Courses, Campgrounds etc it only offers gas stations and parking in present. It does give you an option to type in a category.

I like the 6" wide screen.

We use the Sygic app on our 7" tablet (available both Android and Apple). It does not need to be connected to the internet. Works great. In cities and for the "last mile" Google Maps is the most accurate and we default to that.

Thank you. I found a video demo https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&hl=en

I like the potential for live restaurant reviews from Yelp and Trip Adviser which I use a lot but worry about the phone battery?

I like the offline map feature in case your phone is out of cell phone service area.

I use the CO-Pilot App for my Samsung Galaxy for 7.99. It has plenty of features and you can upgrade for live traffic. I can program it for my Rv and you can drag your route to modify it. I really like it and so far in 6 months i haven't had any issues. The Google map App is ok but you can't drag the route to modify it or choose RV for an option (as far as I know). I'll continue to use this app for my RV unless at some point it proves unreliable.

I have the free app on my smartphone and really like the accuracy, the clarity of voice and letting you know whether your destination is on the left or right.

Just bought a Garmin 5689LMT to replace an aging Garmin that got too slow to handle all the new data that they had added.

To decode the name - 5 is the family, 6 is the screen size, and 89 are the features. LMT stands for lifetime map and traffic updates - I would not be without this feature. So a 5589LMT is the same system but with a 5 inch screen. The designation 89 gets you the maps for North America, Bluetooth and Voice Command - so hands free navigation. I wanted the 6 inch screen and the voice command.

Garmin lists three traffic systems - FM Traffic (which is on my model - get refreshes about every two minutes). Next option up is called Live Traffic - this uses the data plan of your smart phone (which I don't have). New kid on the block is called Digital Traffic and gets updates every 30 seconds - this one is only available on a couple of models as yet. Of course traffic data only works where there are traffic transmitters - which is most metro areas,

Foursquare is a feature that gets you up to date reviews of restaurants etc - but needs your smart phone t work.

So looking at the specs, you need to decide what map coverage - be careful. Lower 48, US and Canada - includes Alaska and Hawaii, US, Canada and Mexico - also available you can add several European countries or All of Europe - but don't pay extra unless you plan to take your GPS over there.

Screen size - bigger is heavier and has shorter battery life.

Do you need special features like backup camera?

John

Thank you for decoding the model number.

No; we don't need a back up camera but that is good to know it is an option.

Also have the Garmin 760. Added weather via the SmartLink. Really enjoy the webcam option and our family likes the ability to track where we're at.

The only downside we've found is the voice commands is not sensitive enough and we are having to yell at the thing on occasion. Um, I yell at it for other reasons too :)

We don't currently have the voice command option on our existing GPS and DH still yells at it LOL

I am looking right now. I own a car gps and have one installed in my Ford but both of them canget us in trouble with towing. I am always double checking the Rand Motor Carriers guide before we go but I would prefer more computer assisstance. So I am ready to buy today or tomorrow the Gramin RV760LMT on sale for 299.99 for the holiday and I think I am going to bite. http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/3359/Garmin-RV-GPS.html?cid=137349&chid=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1dWyBRDqiJye6LjkhfIBEiQAw06ITtMInkedXaqBKN2g_cAAO7TOk2SgNxQW2WtK7hB_WAEaAixH8P8HAQ

Good advice to have tangible back up.

Every year you read about people perishing during winter travels because they solely depending on GPS. We have always carried a paper map of some sort, the last few years it has been the big print motor carrier atlas and we get new every 3 years just in case.

Daveh,

Thanks for the link. I've been tracking it on Amazon for months; yours was the best deal by far.

A few clicks later and it's on the way!! Happy black friday to me.

Thanks again,

Clint

Clint

USN(AD), NRA, ASRPA

F-350 SRW 6.7PS

Grand Design 348M

HD Road King Classic

No one mentioned the Rand McNally. Still must be lacking in a few important areas, like lifetime. Have a dezl 760 currently. Bought refurbished less than a year ago. It's OK. Wish it had many of the features my old Rand McNally had, but it doesn't. Have yet to try a TOM TOM, may get their motorcycle unit in the future. Had the Garmin but gave it to my cousin for his BMW. It fit right in the dock that's built in to his bike. Have used Google maps a lot. It's much better if you have a copilot to work them though. Have to turn on the hotspot for the phone and then use my 7 inch tablet to be able to see things well enough in the truck. One day I will try another Rand McNally. See the accessories for sale or trade if you would like to try a Garmin.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

JM, you bring up a topic that is very timely for us as we have been considering an upgrade for our GPS as well. Thanks!

We bought the Garmin 760LMT with the backup camera. It's good and allows us to program our dimensions but as with any GPS it still routes us into questionable areas given the length we have input into our specifications.

The back up camera is clarity is a little less than average for what we need but overall the GPS works fine for us with plenty of POI's.

Since we moved out of the motorhome and into a travel trailer, I really miss the backup camera. I've been considering one on the back of our 20' travel trailer and am wondering if you are using yours on the back of an RV? Any additional comments about that camera would be helpful. Does it shift between the camera and the map display or.............. ?

Also have the Garmin 760.

Do you have the backup camera also? If so, any comments?

So I am ready to buy today or tomorrow the Gramin RV760LMT on sale for 299.99 for the holiday and I think I am going to bite.

I agree that does look pretty good so I'll add my thanks for the link! :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We've had good success with our Garmin nuvi 2797LMT 7" with Bluetooth. It has a feature with that works with it's Smart Link app on a phone that gives traffic updates and exit information. It's works as good as any other GPS I've owned. I still use Google Maps and a Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road

Atlas for route planning.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

I have 4, an old Garmin nuvi 3.5" screen that I bought in 08; it will cost more than it's worth to update the mapping system. A never Garmin with a bad battery, it to is not worth replacing the battery. A 3rd Garmin LMT in DW's Jeep that works well for autos. A Rand McNally RV7735 LMT in the MH that works very well once the initial bugs were solved by RM. I much prefer it in the MH because it will not map a route incompatible with my height/weight/length restrictions. It is designed for frequent connection with their website via the Rand McNally Dock software, and is also designed to be connected to a power supply, the internal battery will only last 45-60 min. when not on external power.

The RM RV7735 is about a year old.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Lifetime map updates are good and the traffic warnings are included; however, I find Google maps to be a better indicator of congestion.

David

I bought the same GPS 6 months ago and it works GREAT.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Kirk, if your trailer walls are aluminum it will be challenging, but may work most of the time. If they are fiberglass then you have a pretty good chance on a reliable connection. I don't have that camera, but I'm speaking from general experience with the technology. I'll be interested to see what those who have it say....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We recently bought a Magellan RV5265T-LMB at Canadian Tire. It was regular $300 and CT is selling them off for $100 as they are not a big seller for them. I like the RV feature on it and the fact that I can input the RV size and it keeps me on main routes. Our old Garmin is constantly trying to take us off into some obscure route.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived