basement a/c #1 compressor not coming on

wildmandmc

#2 works, just not #1. after compressor starts amps are at 25.

here is pic of board. this is using 7500 generator only, well i guess my pic is too big.

above charge shows 13.5

invert shows 75 dc amps

incoming a/c breaker amps/

power share shows 30

is there anything wrong with these numbers.

coleman, on a 2000 itasca horizon dp

gen has 1100 hrs on it.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I would assume that you have already checked the circuit breaker by opening it and closing it again? That is the only way to be certain that is is closed. I don't have any experience with the basement units, but electrically they should not be that different.

Have you monitored the current flow to the offending a/c when you try and start it? Do you have a clamp-on ammeter to do this with? How about checking voltage readings at the input to the a/c to make sure that it has power? Have you checked for power at the thermostat? If the thermostat is shared by a furnace, have to tested to see if the furnace will run?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wildman,

I am going to assume you have the same basement heat pump that I have (Coleman Mach). If you have a voltmeter and your comfortable using it you might have a look at the control board in the heat pump and see if the board is actually trying to turn it on or not.

As I recall, the thermostat originates the call for the compressor(s). If you replaced the thermostat, is the new one a direct replacement or have you "upgraded" to a different thermostat?

Do you have a manual and wiring diagrams for your unit? If not, give me a call and I can email what I have to you. Five-four-one nine- eight- zero 9474

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

the thermostat i replaced is one rvp said to use. amp's on board stays at 24/25

as for the breakers i have flipped them off an on. as for power to the thermostat.

furnace comes on. when i replaced thermostat the temp num lights up. with old one did not.

dont have a volt meter yet.

an its a coleman.

Its pretty difficult to trouble shoot much without a reliable meter. You could throw parts at it, but that will very quickly become much more expensive than the price of a good meter. I'd plan to spend about $30 to $50 for one.

Wildman,

Where are you located? Small chance we could be close. I am currently in New Mexico and headed to the SKP park in Hondo, TX and should be there in about a week.

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Well i think i'm going to make a decision on what to do. seeing the price of new unit, or new compressor , local place said,

put a ductless a/c unit in where the kitchen roof vent is for abt $ 800-900 an if it needs to be wired for 110 volts 1200 hundred would be max price.

for a 15k a/c unit with dual vents dual control. thinking very strongly about going this route.

seeing the price of new unit, or new compressor

Mind sharing the price quoted for those two options?

Unfortunately, many RV shops are very short on talent in repair of air conditioning units and often the same is true of refrigerators. Many an RV appliance is replaced with new when it could have been repaired if the tech had known what he was doing. I used to have a friend that lived in Houston, TX area who made a lot of money by buying the discarded air conditioners from local RV shops for a flat "one price for all" and then repairing them to sell as used units. He typically paid less than $50 each and repaired the vast majority of them. He said that nearly half of them would only have some minor problem and many others just needed to be recharged(which meant installing charging fittings).

As a retired electromechanical tech, it has been my observation that many RV techs have poor electrical skills.

wildmanmc, I'm just throwing this out there. Is there a chance that there is a switch in the rig that you manually flip from 50 amp to 30 amp. Or vice versa. We have such a switch that of course we throw from 50 to 30 when we are on 30 amp service. By flipping this switch it won't let the 2nd basement A/C to turn on. Another thing to check would be the start capacitor on the second A/C and there is a delay so both units don't fire off at the same time.

Following Bob's reply.....are you on 50 amp service? If your on 30 amp the load shed may be preventing the second compressor from coming on.

Recommend you look around for a GOOD HVAC service center. Most RV repair outfits are only familiar with rooftop units and won'tt even consider repairing one - just replace it. The basement units are much more expensive but can be repaired by a tech that knows them. You might have to remove the unit and take it to a shop but I would think they could replace a compressor for under $300. Removal of the unit might cost you a little more but it is not hard to remove them. Rent a transmission jack, disconnect all the wires (make sure to label them), disconnect the duct coming out of the unit, remove the cross member(s) supporting the unit and lower it out of the coach. That might be a simplified version but that is pretty much all there is to it.

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

hopefully i get all answered.

price for new unit, was 4200 plus tax,

camping world said 600 for new compressor an 1600 to remove old one

as for 30/50 amp switch, i heard about that, couldn't find one. but that was my original thought that something simple could be the cause.

when unit was tested was on generator. 7500 wts. but also when at a campground i always plug into 50amp.

also to add, on ems board shows 50 amp w/.on generator power. every circut breaker was in, nothing popped out.

Sorry for being late in a reply. Had my basement air worked on in South East Florida a couple years ago. It was less than 6 months old and wasn't cooling my home. Had a guy recommended and contacted by Spacecraft who came out and immediately called the tech service line with Coleman. Took a cover off and started to check some readings with his Multi-meter when a yellow jumper wire basically fell out of it's location. Immediately heard the second compressor start when that jumper was replaced and I have been essentially trouble free for a while now. Don't have the number of the mobile service handy but could look this evening.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Wildman,

Camping World is probably the worst and most expensive repair center in the whole world! Try to find another.

Here is a link that may help you find a local authorized service provider: http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/service/need_repairs.php

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

forgot this one. put new capacitor on , do difference.

You need to invest in a reasonably good multi-meter before you spend money on parts just guessing. Without a meter you really don't know if there is a problem or if it may not be getting and power. If the problem is no power, then putting in a new part has no chance of solving the problem.

When you were given those prices for a new compressor, a new unit, or putting in a roof unit, was that based upon some trouble shooting , or just some guy behind a counter giving you prices while he guessed about what might be wrong? Like others here, I'd not take the RV to Camping World but either take it to a shop recommended by someone local to you or find a mobile repair service. It has been my experience that most mobile techs are among the better techs around. Camping World pays techs less than most shops so the majority of the people working there are new, as they go somewhere that pays better, once they get some experience. It is very rare to find a tech at CW who has been working there for more than a year or two, most less than that.

If the person who gave you those numbers did so without any actual, hands on trouble shooting, using a meter & tools, then they probably know less about what your problem is than you do.

How do I know one of my compresses is not working?

Is one unit cooling while the other blows warm air? That would be a hint.

You need to invest in a reasonably good multi-meter before you spend money on parts just guessing. Without a meter you really don't know if there is a problem or if it may not be getting and power. If the problem is no power, then putting in a new part has no chance of solving the problem.

When you were given those prices for a new compressor, a new unit, or putting in a roof unit, was that based upon some trouble shooting , or just some guy behind a counter giving you prices while he guessed about what might be wrong? Like others here, I'd not take the RV to Camping World but either take it to a shop recommended by someone local to you or find a mobile repair service. It has been my experience that most mobile techs are among the better techs around. Camping World pays techs less than most shops so the majority of the people working there are new, as they go somewhere that pays better, once they get some experience. It is very rare to find a tech at CW who has been working there for more than a year or two, most less than that.

If the person who gave you those numbers did so without any actual, hands on trouble shooting, using a meter & tools, then they probably know less about what your problem is than you do.

Is one unit cooling while the other blows warm air? That would be a hint.

It all comes out the same hole?? I was just curious how smart you had to be to know only half is working?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Wildman,

As asked earlier, how do you know number one compressor is not running? Without actually removing the unit and "feeling" the compressor to see if it is running (hot plumbing) I don't know how one would know it isn't running.

The call for the compressors to run comes from the thermostat to the control board in the AC unit. Below is a snapshot of my thermostat and a wiring diagram for you.

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Kirk,

This units sit in the basement and uses a duct system throughout the coach. It is very much like a residential heat pump except that they have two compressors. I believe this is so they can be used on 30 amp (single compressor) or 50 amp (dual compressors). Mine will operate both compressors on 30 amp until the water heater, microwave or other high draw caused the load shed system to drop one compressor.

Wildman's problem could even be his load shed system isn't providing power to both compressors due to other loads or perhaps it is malfunctioning instead of the AC unit. Again, one really needs a good multimeter and preferably a clamp on ampmeter.

Wish I was near so I could help!

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

• 1 month later...

UPDATE""""""

Well i ended up having a brand new coleman put in, OMG what a difference. When i went back to pick up rv they said old unit was "had its day for sure"

$3200. Out the door price. unit/remove an replace, tax, an repair duct work coming out of unit. Temp was 93 when i got in unit an after hr drive home in blasting hot sun, unit was 84 degrees. <<<<less than hr drive. They were $1400 + less than few other places i inquired at for new unit.

. Went to Horner's RV an Auto repair in punta gorda florida..

Archived