Air Leak

SuiteSuccess

If I park in the shop on a perfectly flat concrete surface, I notice it will take days to empty. On my rough gravel side driveway it drops much faster.

I suspect the cab height valve, but t is a pretty expensive item considering......

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to the dealer and get the replacement parts for the push in connector. There is an "0-ring" and a brass collet that are replaceable. The O-ring is a greenish-blue color

Here are the Volvo part numbers:

1/4 O-ring 85108484 price $0.48 (each) come in a bag of 10

1/4 brass collet 85108476 price $ 2.86 (each)

3/8 O-ring 85108485 price & 0.56 (each) come in a bag of 10

3/8 brass collet 85108477 price $ 3.10 ( each)

1/2 O ring 85108486

1/2 brass collet 85108475

To replace the parts is pretty straight forward.

Please release all the air pressure in your system before attempting this repair!

1. Depress collar on fitting and remove line.

2. Remove brass collet. I use a pair of needle nose pliers.

3. Remove O-ring. Sometimes a bit of a challenge. I use a set of " dental picks" one straight and one with a 90" bend at the end. Use the picks to remove the O-ring. Most times it will be dry rotted and come about in prices. Make sure to remove all of the pieces. Insert new O-ring and be careful not to damage it.

4. Insert collet. Most times I will use the old one if it is still in usable shape. Most times the o-ring is the cause of the leak.

5. Trim off the end of the line before inserting into the "rebuilt" fitting. I like to do this when ever I have enough slack in the line. Sometimes it's not possible. When inserting the line into the fitting press the line in until it "bottoms" out in the fitting before you pull back on it to lock it in.

6. Pressure up your system and check for leaks. Sometimes a little wiggle on the line after it is pressurized will help it seat.

After this less costly repair attempt you may still have to repair/replace your pass-thru.

Good luck!

On Edit: These instructions were written with the "Newbie" in mind.... Lots of folks have already been down this path. Not trying to get anyone upset. This is how I do this type of repair. No need to buy the "gold plated" Volvo brass fittings if I can just repair it.

In most cases the "fitting" is fine it's just a worn out O-ring.

Yesterday, I stopped at Volvo with the above "shopping list" and, I walked out with ten O-rings (each size) and two collets (each size). It cost me about $30.

The parts guy asked what they were for and what I was doing. When I told him, he said that he never had anyone fix air leaks that way. He thanked me for the new information.

Thanks Mr. Seas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well replaced O-rings and collets per Mr. Seas recommendations and really was pretty easy job. Trouble is that I still have a leak at that green line. Not as bad as before though so just gonna accept it for now. BTW used new line, O-ring, and collet so don't have plan b. Also I bought O-ring removal pick and ten foot of green line if anyone needs help at rally.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered and received some O-rings and collets, time to track down some leaks.

Instead of running the truck to build up the air, can the tanks be filled from this Schrader valve?

The Schrader valve is just above the yellow hose 90 degree fitting.

I didn't want to just hook up the air hose chuck to it and screw something up.

schrader%20valve.jpg

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Yes, you can fill it that way. I usually do mine like that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes, you can fill it that way. I usually do mine like that.

Is that his air governor? Where would that valve likely be on my 2006 Volvo (my air governor sits drivers side on the firewall)?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Not all trucks have the valve. But it is usually on the governor.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Someone mentioned removing the kick panels and that got me to thinking. That pass thru manifold has lines attaching to it from both sides so there must be O rings on both sides of the manifold. I may have to replace O rings on that side also. Can't hear anything yet but I'll bet they are leaking also. Something else to check.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Carl, if you have one it is on the governor. Here is a picture of mine....from that Christmas day when it didn't wanna build air...aww shucks, I had to stay in the campground one more day. "Hey Sarge, guess what??"

It should look just like yours.

IMAG03553_zps1d07bfdc.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Carl, if you have one it is on the governor. Here is a picture of mine....from that Christmas day when it didn't wanna build air...aww shucks, I had to stay in the campground one more day. "Hey Sarge, guess what??"

It should look just like yours.

IMAG03553_zps1d07bfdc.jpg

Thanks Phil. I looked at my air governor pic and it is just like yours. Learn something new everyday.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Just learned about the governor on Saturday morning stranded at the camping spot not building air.....no phone service and in the middle of nowhere. Did a quick Mexican rebuild on it and got back on the road till I got a new one at Napa!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Just learned about the governor on Saturday morning stranded at the camping spot not building air.....no phone service and in the middle of nowhere. Did a quick Mexican rebuild on it and got back on the road till I got a new one at Napa!

Good skills there, what did you do to fix it?

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Good skills there, what did you do to fix it?

I just pulled it apart, cleaned, and greased it. Only had 120 mile left on our 1,200 mile drive where we got to a town where we could get parts and repair at leisure. The orings were pretty hard and squared off.

For $18 I don't think I would bother with putting new orings in the old one to use for a spare.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

CC, mine left me stranded Christmas morning. Luckily I was still in the campground. I learned the hard way to carry a spare. I was just impressed with the people on this forum that took time away from family to help me diagnose the issue..... on Christmas morning.

2014 smart Fortwo

Almost all of my air brake repair experience has been on trailers so I had no experience to diagnose the problem. Couldn't disconnect the 5er, unload the UTV, and run for help.....so I had to make an educated guess......mine was mounted on the compressor, so easy place to start! I see many of yours are remote mounted.....that would not be so obvious.

Had tools to r&r, but no snap ring pliers to disassemble. Managed to get it apart and back together without stabbing my fingertips with pointed objects! Not much in there to go bad other than two orings.

Before I left was thinking about a plumbing repair kit, but got busy and forgot. Have belts, fluids, and will be adding a new governor to the box of spares. Hard to justify carrying stuff you will never need though.

Is this an item that fails a lot? Or is it just because of our older high mileage trucks?

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

The way it was put to me is that they fail. They will shut you down when it happens (as you and I discovered, at very inopportune times) and for $20 having a spare is too easy. Kinda like having a few connectors, some air hose, a belt and some tools....just things to have on hand. $20 peace of mind. Of course, if you have a spare one, you will probably never need it :)

2014 smart Fortwo

Is that it's actual purpose, or just a benefit?

I'm not Jack but I think it's purpose is to be able to fill the air tanks so the spring brakes/trailer brakes can be released and will function. That way a tow truck can hook up air supply to your truck if being towed and not have to cage all the brake cans. Also if any maintenance requires air, the truck does not have to be left running to keep the tanks full. I might be wrong so someone will correct me if so.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I'm not Jack but I think it's purpose is to be able to fill the air tanks so the spring brakes/trailer brakes can be released and will function. That way a tow truck can hook up air supply to your truck if being towed and not have to cage all the brake cans. Also if any maintenance requires air, the truck does not have to be left running to keep the tanks full. I might be wrong so someone will correct me if so.

If I add air through the schrader valve, via my shop compressor, does the shop air have to be run through a filter and a dryer? Or, is the schrader valve before the truck's drier? I do not want to contaminate my air system with "dirty" air.

Good question Jim.....it is "after" your dryer.....so precautions should be taken to keep out moisture and contaminants.

I guess the next question is what drier (or how much money to spend) to buy? . I suppose I could buy the same drier/filter that is used in the Volvo and, keep it as a spare. Or . . . . any other suggestions?

I can see wet and dirty air playing havoc with the air system controls.

Archived