Power divider axle 2 new tires or 4

Rick & Alana

It's time for 4 new tires on my power divider axle. ( I'm still tandem axle) I know Jay and Vern have eliminated 2 tires and just run outer wheels and tires. Using the inside wheel as a spacer only. So what is everyone's opinion.

I lean toward keeping all 4 on the ground to spread the load on the axle bearings. But no heavier than we are don't know if this matters. However saving the cash only buying 2 tires and the added fuel mileage are enticing.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Yes guys I've read the Resource Guide. Was looking for additional opinions. I looked their first in honor of Mark!

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

What was the article in the Resource Guide lacking as it was generated from the results of several Forum threads?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

What was the article in the Resource Guide lacking as it was generated from the results of several Forum threads?

Not trying to stir the pot here but...I thought that the idea behind an internet forum such as this was meant as an option to discuss (or further discuss) a topic of interest. While many websites or articles such as the Resource Guide provide us with vast knowledge and well researched info on many topics there is always the need to discuss current trends, updates (such as the link Scrap provided) and personal experiences.

Back to the original post...

Personally I would run both duals as it looks better, provides you with a safety net if you have a blowout, and that is the way it was originally designed. Being as you are highly unlikely to ever wear a set out pulling an rv, I wouldn't hesitate to buy some second or third line tires or some of the higher end imports (I have had really good luck with most of Double Coin's products)

Not trying to stir the pot here but...I thought that the idea behind an internet forum such as this was meant as an option to discuss (or further discuss) a topic of interest.

The question was to improve the Guide article if it was lacking.

If Rick & Alana had read the Guide and posted the question, there must have been a shortfall.

Or if they just wanted to discuss it more, they should have started with "After reading the Guide article, I have a question." That would have precluded Bill B and me from looking up the article to respond.

Stirring the pot is what you want to do. If you had read the Guide article, you would have seen a link to the Wheel End loading PDF.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Just some thoughts on running single standard tires and wheels on the outside. In this photo you can see that the out wheel is where the bearings are mostly located. One is just inside then end of the axle and the other is about centered between where the rims touch.

The inner wheel is mostly covering the brake drum.

I will take some actual photos of other trucks today as there are several trucks and trailers in northwest Montana that run single standard tires and wheels.

Safe Travels, Vern

post-94-0-55246600-1438862672_thumb.jpg

It's time for 4 new tires on my power divider axle. ( I'm still tandem axle) I know Jay and Vern have eliminated 2 tires and just run outer wheels and tires. Using the inside wheel as a spacer only. So what is everyone's opinion.

I lean toward keeping all 4 on the ground to spread the load on the axle bearings. But no heavier than we are don't know if this matters. However saving the cash only buying 2 tires and the added fuel mileage are enticing.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Then run the two outsides IMO. Observe tire load ratings, and then make your appearance decision, and run what you want. Tire load ratings are really all that matter in an rv HDT app. Even the lightest weight axle pair one can buy is way over kill in an rv situation. You will not gain anything buying 4 tires and wearing them out just for the looks of it.

I'm a work'n on it.

Get individual,wheel weights first. That may tell you that you can not do it. There are some who have removed the inner tires and report a .4 mpg increase. So far they have had no problems with bearings. I chose to remain twin screw tandems as I weigh 51,000 front to back. I also carry an uncounted drive tire as a spare.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Ronbo has some good advice. I also am maxing or close to maxing the rears. So DO NOT assume just because you are an RV that you are free of weight issues. Most are, but do not assume.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

What are your real-world axle loadings? Remember that the axle will still bear the same amount of weight as it did with four tires. Essentially, the only way to rebalance the axle weights is to replace the air bags with ones that are 32% smaller diameter (therefore 50% less bottom area). If you don't rebalance the axle loads, you're essentially cutting your load capacity in half by removing 2 of the 8 drive tires.

Stirring the pot is what you want to do. If you had read the Guide article, you would have seen a link to the Wheel End loading PDF.

Said link is to revision D (not that there is much difference to revision F that Scrap provided, but there is REVISED data). Please update the link in the resource guide.

In this photo you can see that the out wheel is where the bearings are mostly located.

Note that the center pic uses a wheel that is specific to the application. Not the standard offset wheel so you would need to buy or trade for those.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Thank You, this is better than opinions.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

Said link is to revision D (not that there is much difference to revision F that Scrap provided, but there is REVISED data). Please update the link in the resource guide.

The only data change was the addition of a (#) symbol on R Type Drive Load 0" to 1.13" Offset but we sure wouldn't want to cheat anybody of the latest version.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I looked right over the link in the resource guide, my mistake. I apologize

Thanks for the help

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

I am going to stay with my original plans and replace all 4 tires. After reading again the resource guide and attachments, it's not worth the savings in tires. And with the few miles we run per year the possible increase in fuel mileage is negligible.

Thanks all for your thoughts

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

• 2 weeks later...

The article in the resource guide didn't actually cover this scenario: a tandem-axle rig presently equipped with 8 tires (4 on the power divider axle, 4 on the rearmost axle) that may possibly end up with 6 tires (2 on the PD axle, 4 on the rearmost). That scenario creates a mismatch of tire loads vs. tire capacity that's not easily fixed, regardless of any wheel offset issues and so forth.

The other issue you might run into is states like Texas that say it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, equipped with pneumatic tires, with one or more of them removed.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived