Cheap boost for campground wifi.

What is the model of your unit? I though I heard UBD but when I went the the Alfa Network website, there must be a half dozen models in the UBD line. Also, they want me to sign in just to see their prices. What was the price of your model?

Hi Doug..

The unit I used is a marine antenna. Just $35, It can be found here at Amazon: http://amzn.to/1IInwsV

The device you show is a USB device which you show connected directly to a computer. Many RVers, want an internet connection for more than one device. Can the device you show be connected to a router that creates a wifi hotspot? If not, then a second computer/device would either have to be connected by ethernet to share the computers internet connection or the computer would have to be capable of being used as a hotspot, which can be done with Connectify.

There is a lot of information about boosting Wifi in this topic. Take a look at the video linked to in post #76.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I made it out to a campground to check out the booster. The owners of the park said that no one gets a signal at the far end of the park wher we were camped. The park doesn't have an external antenna, so the signal is inside the building. There are many rvs between us and a fairly large tree canopy. I used a marine antenna in this setup and the booster worked out very well. Here is the video...

https://youtu.be/FNkMa2CBPJg

The device you show is a USB device which you show connected directly to a computer. Many RVers, want an internet connection for more than one device. Can the device you show be connected to a router that creates a wifi hotspot? If not, then a second computer/device would either have to be connected by ethernet to share the computers internet connection or the computer would have to be capable of being used as a hotspot, which can be done with Connectify.

There is a lot of information about boosting Wifi in this topic. Take a look at the video linked to in post #76.

Thanks TCW! I downloaded Connectify to try it with my setup. Great suggestion.. now my wife can log on too!

We have a WiFi set up that we have used on our boat for many years and plan to move it over to the RV shortly. The details to build your own are all there if you're handy with electronics and fairly computer illiterate. Using our current set up, the Bullit amplifier, connected to our off the shelf router, we can connect any number of computers and smart phones, etc. We can also share it with neighbors if we like. We can connect to an access point 3 to 4 miles away with an excellent connection. Again, these set ups are on out boat but the principals are all the same. Here are the posts on our WiFi progression. http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/search/label/WiFi . There are also some tips on securing your Wifi. Hope it helps some. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Archived