Help with Generator not Running

hdonlybob

I have an older Safari Motor Home with a Honda Generator.

Last fall the generator would not start, either from the inside starter control, or the one directly on the Generator.

As long as you hold the starter button on, it will run, but the green light will not come on.

As soon as you release the starter button it immediately stops.

A friend of mine just told me that a lot of Motor Home generators will not run if the main coach tank is low on fuel, as it runs off of that.

Mine is way low.

I will fill the tank tomorrow :o and see what happens.

Anyone have this experience, or know this to be true?

Thanks much,

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Anyone have this experience, or know this to be true?

In that type of setup, yes. It is true. Typically, they won't run below 1/4 tank of fuel in order to prevent you from accidently running your genny too long and leaving yourself stranded.

I've been running mine at least once a month for at least 30 min. run time with a load on it. If I do this there are no problems with it. A few years ago I didn't do that and it ran badly. That is, it was hard to start and when it did start, the voltage did not stay steady but fluctuated on the volt meter. So after that I've got into the routine of running it at least once a month. Besides just running the motor of the gen., putting a load on it seems to help keep the voltage steady at 120 V. I usually plug in an electric heater or run the A/C for a load on the gen. This is just what works for me and my gen. starts & works well when ever it's turned on. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

UPDATE:
Put 100 gals of fuel in it today...still no difference..

Gets fuel fine and runs perfect only if the starter button is held in the start position..

Hmmmm....off to next chapter :(

Cheers,

Bob

Past HDT owner

Kirk,

It is now over at a local shop where they are doing exactly that.

I found some good info on the internet for this particular generator that gives five or six pretty good specific areas to check, as you suggest.

My generator is a Honda EV6010 .

Cheers,

Bob

Past HDT owner

just picked up our 2005Phaeton. it has an Onan 7500 generator. they replace the temperature switch which was causing trouble. It ran good for several hours. It is starting to act up now. We are out on the road. It is hard to start of runs good for a while after it starts. I'm getting a three 25 error code. and I also got a 336 area code earlier today. can anyone help?

Since you don't say what model of Onan you have but your RV is diesel, I'll assume that the Onan is diesel also. Here is some information that I have collected by doing some searches since my Onan experience has been mostly with gas.

Code 36 is Engine Stopped Without Command from Controller. It is almost always fuel related.

ENGINE STOPPED FAULT—CODE NO. 36
(Engine stopped without command by controller)
Corrective Action:
1. Gasoline Models – Check and fill the fuel tank, as necessary. (Note: The genset fuel pickup tube is probably higher up in the fuel tank than the vehicle engine pickup.)
2. Low Pressure LPG Models – Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary. On cold days the LPG container may have to be kept at least half full to provide the rate of vaporization necessary to keep
up with the genset fuel demand.
3. High Pressure LPG Models – Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary, and drain the genset LPG system of oil that may have migrated from the supply system (Item 5, Page 13). Make sure to
re-close the drain valve.
4. Secure the spark plug leads on the spark plugs (Page 20).
5. Replace the spark plugs (Page 20).
6. Service the air cleaner (Page 19).
7. Check for mechanical damage.

An error code of 25 indicates that the governor was unable to control engine speed and says to take to service.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This response is coming from Vern, "wrknrvr". For water cooled Honda generators, the best place for info is: Pinellas Power Products (http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/).%C2'> This company has you tube videos on total rebuild and technical information on water cooled Hondas. Vern has personally visited his shop and met with him, and he is extremely knowlegable on these generators.

Safe Travels,

Vern

Cindy & Jeff Brett
2014 Mobile Suite Memphis 44'
2004 Volvo 630 (The Sonshine Express), ET Hitch, Jackalopee & Szmyt Wonderbed
2016 Smart (Blanche)

Archived