Another successful HDT to RV in Washington

tyates007

Went to the DMV today, signed a statement of fact and walked out with the Kenworth plated and retitled as an RV in Washington. Thanks to Mr. Cob for his help.

Howdy Tom, Hope I remembered your name correctly.

Glad I could be of some assistance, welcome to the HDT community, now lets do lunch and swap lies.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 3 months later...

What office was that? The subagent facility in Hoquiam told me that she would NOT do what I wanted and that it was wrong. She said some agencies are still doing it in Olympia but it's not right. Starting to get nervous that I'm not going to get this done. She also claimed that state patrol was looking for us violators. I've got my certification of fact notorized and a nv title that already has weight stamped on it.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

I have been in Washington on the Olympic Peninsula for 10 months and am contemplating changing from SD to WA. Is there an earlier thread with all this info in it?

What is the advantage to being an RV in Washington versus just a private truck for an HDT? I know about other states but only recently has WA risen as a candidate domicile.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

What is the advantage to being an RV in Washington versus just a private truck for an HDT? I know about other states but only recently has WA risen as a candidate domicile.

Budd, at least in Texas the big advantage is annual tags/registration fees. When I first purchased my truck, from a dealer, they had to do the initial registration and they would not do the RV registration so they registered it as a noncommercial truck, same as a pick up. The big difference here was as a truck I had to register it for its GVW (or at least as much as I was going to carry). As a RV it is just registered for its actual weight. The difference of the two registrations saves me about 40% a year in tags.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I have been in Washington on the Olympic Peninsula for 10 months and am contemplating changing from SD to WA. Is there an earlier thread with all this info in it?

Washington doesn't offer a private truck option therefore motor home or commercial is it. I'm hoping that motorhome insurance is cheaper too.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

Yeah. I have not been able to find the definitive docs for the differences. They all just say call your local office. I don't know enough, yet, about Washington state to be properly informed as to what I should not say and exactly the words / docs that I must have to make it a seamless process.

Any specific links or references would really be appreciated. I am not going to go through the whole legal conversion to RV if there is no real advantage to it over as it is.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Budd;

I don't know about South Dakota, but here in Washington registered as an RV you do not need a CDL. You tell them the weight you want on the registration. Insurance is cheaper than a pickup, if singled. (Note: it up to the insurance company if they will insure tandem trucks, not the state). Emissions are required If you live in or near big cities. No scaling or special endorsements. My yaerly tags are $120 plus $20 every other year for emissions. Most of us here just walk in a license agency tell them how we want it to be registered and thats it. No inspection needed.

Hope this answers your questions.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Our truck is now registered in Washington as a Motorhome! An office in Olympia understood (after some explaining of the RCWs) what I was trying to accomplish and she typed it up. At first she wanted to have it inspected by the State Patrol like I had "built" a motor home. After she understood that I had only added the necessities to be compliant did she say ok, I can do that.

The only expensive part was paying the use tax as our truck was purchased private party in Nevada and we did not pay sales tax.

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

Just to the South in Oregon things are really simple (with only one catch....) Just bring the truck to the DMV and $361.50 for a two year Motor Title / Reg & 2 lic plates ..............AND........The one catch......you have to be a Oregon resident W/ Oregon driver lic.......

No CDL or weight restrictions.........Just don't get caught Hauling a D-10 Cat behind your 'Motor home".........Commercial ops gets UGLY FAST!!

Drive on.........(Motorhomes-r-us...........0

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

why wouldn't you be able to haul your D-10 cat for personal use? B)

In a lot of states if you have vehicles like pickups and motor homes, you are limited on how much weight you can haul.

In Nevada, you can only register an HDT as a Private Truck and then you make a declaration of what your highest gross weight will be and they charge you a separate tonnage fee. Washington was also that way when I lived there, BUT, that was many years ago and I have no idea if it is still the same.

The nice thing about registering with a normal planned gross weight, such as an HDT and Trailer, you can usually buy temporary permits for whenever you may want to haul more.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

why wouldn't you be able to haul your D-10 cat for personal use? B)

Grumps only had a D-9.........but sink that old 7 ft ripper shank into the ground and that old thing sure messed up the "kitty-box".......

Ya know it's kinda funny but in Oregon RV's actually do NOT have any weight limits.........BUT.........you can be sure you better have cold case of DrPepper sitting in the seat of your D-10 because Jonny-Law will need a few cold drinks as he fills out a long ticket for things wrong with your rig you never imagined.........

Compared to many states, Oregon RV rules and regulations are pretty easy but if you try to ski-too-far-past-your-ski-tips the troopers seem to be able to reel you in pretty fast. Oregon has a long history of RV builders as well as Home-made-RV's so it seems that the registration regulations reflect the large numbers of units built in the state. My LEO friends tell me that as a whole RV's drivers are among the most careful drivers in the state and the lack of special CDL licenses do not pose any problems in spite of the often twisty and steep narrow highways that Oregon has.

Trust me Oregon has plenty of restrictive rules and regulations for other things that make up for the fairly nice RV's rules and regs........

Drive on........(Tow your CAT carefully..........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived