FW skirting for kingpin area

TxCowboy

I'm looking at buying skirting for the king pin area to store lawn chairs, a Coleman grill, and a couple of bicycles. I'm looking to buy from Camping World as they seem reasonably priced though the selection is rather small.

Anyone have an installation recommendations and/or lessons learning about the kingpin area skirting? Equally important, is this a DIY project I can do by myself or should it be professionally installed?

(NOTE: I have a question pending with CW on their skirting as the only mounting hardware provided is screw-in fasteners. I was wondering if industrial strength Velcro might be a better choice.)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

I've seen a few home made storage covers, they used PVC pipe for supports and awning fabric for the cover. Very nice looking, small to store and they don't make holes of leave big chunks of Velcro stuck to your fiver.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Good feedback, guys. Thanks.

I can't imagine using shower curtains but the command hooks may be an option if I can put brass (non-rusting) grommets into the fabric. Velcro might still be an option -- there are glue removal sprays available at most auto part stores that I've used for other projects that should be able to remove the adhesive backing from the gel coat finish without damage.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

I did a front cover custom. Used track like awning welt goes into for most of it. Now there is track that can be bent around the front with a heat gun, so you basically have a waterproof seal. Search "Costa track" if interested, boat stuff.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Hey Siber!

THNX! I'd never heard of that and am about to get back into a fiver. BTW here is a website selling it: http://www.miamicorp.com/products/MARINE/PVC%20TRACK/COSTA%20TRACK.aspx

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That looks like the perfect system. What I didn't see was the fabric. Is that what they're calling the "welt"? I can see the length but what's the width (or vice versa)? Can they just cut it to the size needed?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Welt is the end of the fabric that is covered over a cord. You would pull the cord covered fabric down the channel so that the fabric went through the slot and the cord keeps if from pulling thru. We had a pop up camper awning that worked like that made out of canvas.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We had a custom skirt made at Specialty Sewing Senter in Yuma in early 2013. They have 2 different materials (their "plastic-coated" material is much MUCH thicker than the Camping World material) & a number of color options. Cost then was $350 (sunscreen material is more expensive). This included them doing the measurements & the install. Installation was NOT the drill-in snaps, but an aluminum track.

We have been very happy with the skirt, although -- seeing the Costa Track referenced above -- I like the looks of it better than our aluminum. Either one beats all the snaps, IMHO.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

There are 2 kinds of welt, plastic or "Kederwelt" . Nobody sews over a rope anymore, but that works too. The Kederwelt comes in 2 sizes, looks like fiberglass tape bonded over a core, REALLY good. Anyone who wants to see pics of this stuff etc, pls PM me w/ an off-forum address so I can attach pics to it.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

There are 2 kinds of welt, plastic or "Kederwelt" . Nobody sews over a rope anymore, but that works too. The Kederwelt comes in 2 sizes, looks like fiberglass tape bonded over a core, REALLY good. Anyone who wants to see pics of this stuff etc, pls PM me w/ an off-forum address so I can attach pics to it.

PM with email address sent! :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Archived