5th wheel vs motorhome

SWharton

Thanks Kirk.. as always your answers are well thought out.

One source I found said that because of the bus type frame, you are more protected in a front end collision in a diesel. Also they said that the steering set up is better, more rugged, etc.

I am looking at used units about 11-15 years old so the price difference is only about 6-10K difference.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still...after doing forums for many years I've found that people like asking the same questions over and over again and almost resent it if you tell them the answers can be found by simply clicking on a supplied link. Also, I find that, while I'm pretty worn out on a question that some people enjoy re-entering the discussion again and again and others who are new enjoy the discussion.

While I'm pretty much brand new to the RV forum world - I've got years of experience as a very active participant on a couple of musician forums. Debate about how "FAQ" (as well as those who ask them!) is certainly alive and well on those forums. I've come to the realize that I don't really mind if the same questions get asked over and over again. It's not tough to spot them and skip past 'em when I'm so inclined. Even though most of the answers to those questions are "reruns" ... I get surprised often enough by a totally new answer often enough that I wouldn't want to discourage folks from asking about anything - even if it is a question that gets asked over and over again. YMMV.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

One source I found said that because of the bus type frame, you are more protected in a front end collision in a diesel. Also they said that the steering set up is better, more rugged, etc.

I am looking at used units about 11-15 years old so the price difference is only about 6-10K difference.

If you are looking at the bus conversions that would be true but motorhomes that were built as an RV on a bare chassis there isn't much difference. The modern bus body, such as built by Prevost, Newell, or any of the major bus builders has the frame built into the body and does not have chassis rails like a truck or motorhome chassis.Those motorhomes are very expensive to buy but they will outlive any other type of RV. A few years ago we were next to a couple in a 1977 Newell and were given a tour. It had been well cared for and a few things had been replaced, but the RV was still wonderful.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

While I'm pretty much brand new to the RV forum world - I've got years of experience as a very active participant on a couple of musician forums. Debate about how "FAQ" (as well as those who ask them!) is certainly alive and well on those forums. I've come to the realize that I don't really mind if the same questions get asked over and over again. It's not tough to spot them and skip past 'em when I'm so inclined. Even though most of the answers to those questions are "reruns" ... I get surprised often enough by a totally new answer often enough that I wouldn't want to discourage folks from asking about anything - even if it is a question that gets asked over and over again. YMMV.

I feel the same way. Since about every question RV-related has been answered at some point in the past, if only completely new questions are asked most forum-type websites would cease to exist.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I am a newbie to the camping world but when it came to choosing I used some logic that went like this - I should point out that I started by looking at used A class (I ignored C and B class for personal preference).

If my vehicle has a problem do I want to take my home in to the mechanic?

If my home has a problem do I want to take my vehicle into the Trailer dealer? [sometimes for weeks!]

I had been in a 5th wheeler with my friends and our bikes for a couple of weeks and knew how that was but couldn't afford to get something as big as theirs (trailer plus truck).

So I have a new Grey Wolf 26RR coming and a Tundra sitting waiting to be married to it. Whether that marriage lasts long is yet to be seen. I have my eye on RVHaulers.ca. That is an advantage of towed trailers - you can change the truck to suit your preferences and budget or conversely change your home to suit your preferences without changing your vehicle.

As has been said - it's personal preference and I would add budget.

We've found that full-timers get preferencial treatment when taking a motorhome in for maintenance. We have, anyway. Most can be done, if pre-scheduled, in one day, sometimes spending a night on their lot with electric. During the day we do some local siteseeing, shopping, go to a movie, etc. It's never been a problem.

If the motorhome breaks down on the highway we have our towed vehicle to get help, if necessary.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I am a newbie to the camping world .....................

Welcome to the Escapee forums and the RV club as well! I hope that you will become an active contributor to these forums and find all that you are looking for.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived