We did it! "THOR" is underway!

s106300

Well after a couple years of debating - uh, I mean talking - and attending the 2014 HDT rally in Hutch where we talked with a lot of you folks, we decided to go with an HDT. We looked around for used set ups for a quite a while but did not find much that suited our needs; working on our own rig wasn't an option. After many conversations with Greg and a lot of research and due diligence, we decided to go with RV Haulers. He is currently working on a retrofit of a 2010 Volvo 670 iShift with just a tad over 500K miles. Other than the sticker shock associated with the cost of the mods (thanks Jack for helping me feel slightly better about that) we are very excited. "THOR" will have a deluxe Smart car bed, the ET Hitch, drom box, and an extra greywater holding tank. Delivery should be around May.

Now we need to find a 5TH WHEEL! We have looked at pretty much all the full-timing rigs out there and have pretty much settled on a DRV 38 RSSA, although a 36RSB3 with a custom split-bath is a definite possibility. We would like a used late model but have not seen much after over a year of searching so may now be to the point of ordering. We will be doing as much boondocking as we can manage so don't feel the need for the dishwasher, fireplace, or W/D. Any thoughts on dealers? We will be meeting Greg in SD to pick up THOR and establish residency so would be awesome to get the rig shortly thereafter. Would like to just hit the road then and do eastern Canada and the eastern seaboard prior to dropping down to see the kids/grandkids in VA but there is that small problem of 3 cats and all of our stuff still in California (or AZ at my sister's if house already sold ...) Logistics of this transition is driving me crazy!

Any tips on DRV dealers or handling logistics would be much appreciated!

Ron & Shelley

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Congrats, let the fun begin

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Congrats!

Just a quick comment on the dishwasher--I'm in the process of adding one precisely to reduce water consumption. A single drawer dishwasher (as far as I know Fisher-Paykel is pretty much the only game in town) uses less than 2 gallons of water for a full load. I know I use a lot more than that doing a sink-full of dishes by hand!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Congrats!

Just a quick comment on the dishwasher--I'm in the process of adding one precisely to reduce water consumption. A single drawer dishwasher (as far as I know Fisher-Paykel is pretty much the only game in town) uses less than 2 gallons of water for a full load. I know I use a lot more than that doing a sink-full of dishes by hand!

I've heard the same thing about the FP dishwasher. Hard to believe but I've heard numerous times that's it's a great option to have in your rig.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Congrat's on the rig. Gregg is a great guy to deal with and will get it done right for you. Also, things that you were thinking of deleting you may use them more than you think. The D/W is one thing I missed when ordering our unit that will be in the next one for sure and like David mentioned uses very little water. Even the W/D doesn't use that much water and we have used it quite a bit boondocking. Heat pump air conditioners and fireplace are backups on generator power if the furnace doesn't work. Also, a good sized generator can run them all at the same time let's say you were low on LPG out boondocking. We have a built in 7500 watt Onan diesel generator and with 300 gallons of fuel we have on the truck could be off the grid for a long time. Also, you may want to consider some solar panels if boondocking a lot. Good luck with your adventure. :)

Thanks for the comments on the "accessories" - we will definite reconsider. FP is a great high end dishwasher; the very model we considered when remodeling. The typical system goes into two separate drawers in a house; DRV installs half of the model apparently. I was concerned about resale value if d/w, fireplace, and w/d were left out; we have read a lot of negatives on all three (as being not that useful). Hard to know for sure. For example, turns out the DRV Mobile Suites Estates model, which I personally like best relative to the interior decor, doesn't sell well. So I guess we won't be going there.

Yes, since I am married to RON, we will be fully duded out with generators, inverters (trailer AND truck), solar panels, and probably a wind turbine if he can figure it out. He is already in hot dialog with a DRV engineering rep regarding installing an instant hot water heater and temperature controller. This IS the guy who built a queen-size off the ground transportable bed that we could put in our dome tent in "the good old days" so that he didn't have to sleep on the ground. (We had people lining up outside our tent to see "the bed," LOL.) Rick and Carey - 2015 Volvo 730?!! Wow!

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

We have a dishwasher,fireplace and washer/dryer.

If you had them in your house, why would you not wnat them in your RV? IF you never used them in the house, then that is the answer.

The D/W is great on grid. Not so great off grid because, although it uses less water than me washing the dishes, it takes too long to dry....too much power for too long. Although I admit I have not measured it. You "can" hand dry them, but just the wash cycle would use a lot of power. When we boondock we typically use paper and minimize use of washing dishes. For us, water is ALWAYS the limitation for boondocking. We have LOTS of power. We fetch water in a 45 gallon bladder.

Fireplace is GREAT on grid....we use it almost exclusively to heat the coach. You do give up storage, though. In a 36' coach that would be a consideration. In a 44.5' coach (and in our 42' ones) - not so much.

I would NEVER EVER be without a washer/dryer. We were foolish to do 8 years fulltiming without them. I can rationalize not using them all you like. And I would be wrong....for us.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Congratulations on the purchase. I know you will enjoy it. Where abouts in California are you located?

I am a fan of DRV's. If I were in the market for one, this is who I would be calling: http://www.rollingretreats.com

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We are in the Palos Verdes Peninsula (near San Pedro/Long Beach). Love my state, but we want to get out to see the rest of the country in a more intimate way and let's face it, unless you have a paid off house (we don't) and lots of $$$ (we don't) then California isn't a great retirement state. Son is Naval Officer and currently stationed with the family in Norfolk; he has 7 more years until retirement and the family (read: DW) wants to end up back near Anacortes, WA where her family lives. Since the son was stationed in Whidbey for 7 years and loves it up there, he is good with that. So if we ever settle, that's where it will be. Grandbabies, ya know. :P

Even in our 36' Carrilite we have a fireplace, dishwasher, and a Splendide W/D with room for side by sides if we wanted. I don't think we would be without any item on our next rig. We heat primarily with the fireplace and 15k heat pump using the furnace as a backup, or for when the temps are well below freezing.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If interested, you can see what THOR looks like as of this afternoon (Friday). We have a bit more work to finish next week before we take him for some test drives. Volvo computer programming follows, and then we will start the Smart Car bed build.

http://youtu.be/fTGChIul_14

Gregg and Kerry Shields

www.RVHaulers.ca

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

'Pull Your Trailer, Don't Let your Trailer Pull You!'

Congratulations. Greg is a great person to work with. I haven't actually completed a bargain with him but am confident that he would provide the best deal around.

I have the dishwasher and wouldn't be without. I don't measure my water usage, so I cannot comment on that. I will say it's soooo much easier to load the dishwasher and punch a couple buttons and be done with it than it is to wash and dry.

For me it's also easier to drop my laundry off at the laundromat for the wash and fold than it is to actually sit in the place and do my own laundry or have a washer and dryer in my home. I'm single and don't have that much laundry so for a family or a couple it might be different. My biweekly costs are less than $20. usually.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

RVs For Less in Knoxville TN has some of the best prices in the nation on DRVs. Usually$30 k or so less than MSRP. BandBuds ( Jeff and Cindy Brett) also got a really good deal on theirs but can't remember where they bought it.

http://www.rvsforless.net

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

RVs For Less in Knoxville TN has some of the best prices in the nation on DRVs. Usually$30 k or so less than MSRP. BandBuds ( Jeff and Cindy Brett) also got a really good deal on theirs but can't remember where they bought it.

http://www.rvsforless.net

Yup, we got our Mobile Suite at Mellott Brothers http://www.mellottbrothers.com/ in Willow Street, PA just south of Lancaster. Our salesman was Jim Wiser, and you will NOT meet a finer. patient or honest person to deal with in the RV industry. We got a little better than 30% off of the MSRP.

Jeff

Cindy & Jeff Brett
2014 Mobile Suite Memphis 44'
2004 Volvo 630 (The Sonshine Express), ET Hitch, Jackalopee & Szmyt Wonderbed
2016 Smart (Blanche)

Thanks for the tips. Had RVsforless on the radar already but logistics may be an issue. Hard to juggle getting truck, trailer, and moving/packing with locations of all the aforementioned in various parts of the country. Plus 3 cats may be in Arizona with my sister by then and gotta get them. Any suggestions on how to gracefully pull that off would be appreciated. Hope you all enjoyed 'Thor's christening by Greg. Pretty funny. R&S

Gregg is certainly the way to go for a "1 stop get it all done the right way" kind of shop.

But I'm guessing you mean you are going to have a "dump tank" on there and not a "grey tank"? And Gregg has done some fine additions to a dump tank on prior trucks.

You will like what you get from him.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

We just picked up our new 2015 38RSSA in Knoxville on Jan 1st.....There are some basic changes I would do to make the trailer more "livable" in the bathroom and in the living room. I can send you the changes we made to ours if you think it would help. The DW and I looked at that unit 3 times before we ordered and even then started in the bedroom and worked out way to the rear thinking about how we would use the coach in day to day use.

RVs for Less can ship your unit on a per mile basis anywhere in the country if needed. They could either deliver to your truck location or anywhere else you would like. If you have any questions about ours, drop me a PM.

It was about 20 degrees the morning this pic was taken in Sevierville, TN.

DRV%20med.jpg

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived