Four paws health care

3_nomads

I hope it works well for you and Cooper. I think that may depend on how much and where you travel. I did a quick check of their locations for the last 4 places we have needed emergency veterinary services while on the road (Charles City, IA; Emporia, KS; Taos, NM; West Yellowstone, MT). Their closest location to any of them was over 50 miles. I couldn't find a map that showed all of their locations, but it appears that their only location in New Mexico is in Albuquerque. In each of these 4 cases, we got recommendations from local residents and campground staff and were very pleased with the services that our pet received.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

We get recommendations from pet lovers in the area we are at, and when we hear 1 vets name over and over - that's the one. Our pet has had care beginning with spay surgery just after we got her at 5 different vet's offices in 2 1/2 years. We have been please with each vet, their staff and their office conditions(cleanliness).

Pat DeJong

I have no direct experience with Banfield, but after reading many negative reviews and hearing a couple of disappointing reports from people I know, it would not be a place that I would rely on to care for/treat my pets. You might want to look into this service very carefully; a search will bring up quite a few resources. One would expect there to be variations in care quality and competence of personnel among offices, but the numbers of negative reviews would be red flags, at least for me.

If you're close to a Petsmart shopping center/mall location where you travel, you're probably in an urban or populated area, and the area is almost certain to have other vet options. I've needed vet care on the road a few times (well, not me, the dog and cat, but there are plenty of times when I'd pick a vet over a "people doc"!), and have always found that local references work very well. And, with all the information and resources available online, one can pretty quickly find whatever service one might need just about anywhere.

I carry a folder with all of the animals' information and previous issues/treatments/immunizations; having this information immediately available is critical if a pet needs treatment.

When we got to Mesa last fall, Shadow needed her vaccinations and it was the weekend and the Benfield office at the PetSmart near the park had weekend appointments. We got her vaccinations, etc. When she had a stroke a few of weeks later (she was 17 yrs old) they were very compassionate, working with us to see if minimal supportive care would help her and when it became obvious that she was not going to improve, they were extremely caring, had a separate room for us to sit with her for as long as we needed in order to say goodbye. We had no other experience with veterinarian care with PetSmart, but we would certainly recommend this specific office to anyone who should ask.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We use Banfield care all over the country, as we travel, and are very satisfied with them. Our dog is on preventative care which allows unlimited number of vet visits and annual shots. The dogs records are available at any store, via computer. (Wish they had that for humans!)

I am a retired animal cop and have been in more "back rooms" of vet offices than most people.

Benfield's are acceptable vet services. The best in the country? NO.

But decent care, especially for travelers.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

...We use Banfield care all over the country, as we travel...

Do you have a link to a map or list of all their locations? All I could find on the Banfield and Petsmart websites was a locator that you had to type in a zip code or city name and if there is not a location within 75 miles it gives you nothing. Depending on how far you want to drive, they may not be where your pet needs them in an emergency.

On edit: I found a website link that will give locations over 75 miles away.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

What is considered a practical or acceptable distance to travel for veterinary services especially in an emergency is subject to personal opinion and choice. Those that stay in locations for a week(s), month or season may find themselves a considerable distance from a Banfield location. I just checked their website for Quartzsite. Shows their closest location is 116 miles away. I would think there must be a competent Veterinarian closer than that. Blythe (25 miles) has some listings in the yellow pages and there is one listing in Quartzsite.

I just checked their website for Quartzsite. Shows their closest location is 116 miles away. I would think there must be a competent Veterinarian closer than that. Blythe (25 miles) has some listings in the yellow pages and there is one listing in Quartzsite.

We've used the vet in Quartzsite for years while we were fulltime RVers because we spent all, or part, of the winters there. I liked him and thought he did a very good job. The only problem is that he does not take appointments and is only open for about half a day, so you have to get there early and wait your turn.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

What is considered a practical or acceptable distance to travel for veterinary services especially in an emergency is subject to personal opinion and choice. Those that stay in locations for a week(s), month or season may find themselves a considerable distance from a Banfield location. I just checked their website for Quartzsite. Shows their closest location is 116 miles away. I would think there must be a competent Veterinarian closer than that. Blythe (25 miles) has some listings in the yellow pages and there is one listing in Quartzsite.

But your assuming that most people who fullime & are in AZ for the winter are in Q is incorrect. For a lot of people Banfield may be a viable option.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

But your assuming that most people who fullime & are in AZ for the winter are in Q is incorrect. For a lot of people Banfield may be a viable option.

Barb

You are the one assuming or should I say reading things into my post that I did not say. I never mentioned fulltime(rs). I started my comment with a general statement.

What is considered a practical or acceptable distance to travel for veterinary services especially in an emergency is subject to personal opinion and choice. Those that stay in locations for a week(s), month or season MAY find themselves a considerable distance from a Banfield location.

I gave Quartzsite as an example.

But you are right, Banfield is convenient to everywhere. I personally don't consider 45 miles convenient to Congress or 66 miles convenient to Cottonwood and the Thousand Trails Park. Check the Ranch in Lakewood. NM to see just how convenient Banfield would be.

The OP said they were FULLTIMERS. That would seem to suggest the discussion would be about fulltimers.

I don't think anyone suggested that one answer is correct for everyone. Besides, in reading the OP it was talking about having ongoing vet services when traveling throughout the country - not just for emergencies. As pets age a lot of them develop chronic problems (like their owners) and need ongoing, but not emergency, services. So for someone with a diabetic cat that needs quarterly blood draws, this might be a great way to go.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived