Buying a compressor

PAylor

Hi all,

Well one of the things that is so wonderful about rving is it's so easy to find more ways to spend money!

Hubby feels like we need a compressor to pump up the tires. Our tires use 110 psi. Any recommendations? Would prefer on that can run on 12 volts. Found an rv compressor by Viair that supposedly can go up to 150 psi. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

There are a few 12V compressors that are rated up to 150 psi, but they are incredibly slow and will take a long, long time to even top off a 110 psi, let alone air one up.

I have a Porter Cable 135psi compressor that I use to air up my 80 psi truck tires and my 110 psi trailer tires, and even it is pretty slow. It is compact and quiet and the low current draw allows you to run it off of a small inverter if you don't have 120V nearby.

http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=25231

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

While I carry a 12V compressor in our SUV for emergencies, I found them to be poor to insufficient for use on most RV tires. If you have a generator that you carry it will be far more sufficient to use a compact, 120V compressor.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Vair is indeed a very good compressor remember they offer several different models - some cheap some excellent

Look for one that is rated at 100% Duty Cycle and even better get a external 3 to 5 gallon holding tank

As noted above check out the Jeep forums - Viar is only one of several top rated DC compressors

My compressed air system is a hard mounted Viair w/ 5 gallon holding tank and three regulated outlets

The system can and easily airs up the Rigs tires in only a few minutes

Yes it will draw a lot of current but if wired properly and you have the battery capacity not a big deal

Every one has different needs - this one fit mine perfectly

Use it for Blow cleaning, Toad tires, Air mattress, Rig tires, etc.....

Me I have no use for the 120Vac powered compressors while camping (we have 5 or 6 large 80 gallon120Vac units around the house and shops) but if you have a large inverter already installed in your rig it might be a less expensive solution worth a look at least

As stated above VIAIR is one good option for 12v.

VIAIR model 400p-RV might be a good option for RVing - I have not tested this but others above may be able to give a good model number.

An inexpensive 120v option that has served me well for 3 years and going is this rebuilt unit.

Works great on my 22.5" truck and 17.5" trailer tires

Rockworth 3 gallon

There is also the compressed CO2 option - Powertank - a little more expensive but also very convenient. Others have found less expensive ways (the regulator is the important component) of doing this same idea. This requires an occasional refill of the tank (annual), usually from a fire extinguisher or welding supply shop.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Look for one of the small "pancake" models. My brother-in-law loaned me his because I bought one of the cheaper compressors and burned it up on my 22.5" 110 psi tires. He only paid around $85 and it worked fine (and pretty fast). Make sure it is rated for at least 120 psi

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

With a diesel pusher and air brakes we have air pressure that we can use to air up our coach's tires (22.5") but it can be a PITA. I've often thought about getting a small compressor that we can run off the generator to air up the tires on the Jeep and top off the RV.

Aunut's idea of the "pancake" type looks like a good one to me. But most that I've seen are either 90psi or lots more than $85.

Anyone have any personal experience and/or specifics?

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I just went through this same exercise and decided on the CO2 route. I used a Poly Performance CO2 Fixed Regulator PPI-2302-02 for $40 which regulates to 150 psi. Don't bother trying to get a regulator with a gauge; the cylinder will have 830 psi +/- until the last drop of CO2 vaporizes. I bought a small 20 cu ft CO2 cylinder at Harbor Freight and exchanged it for a full CO2 bottle at local AirGas. Bought a 6 foot air hose with gauge to fill the tires. Altogether, it cost about $150. It works for me.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I carry a 120 volt air compressor in my MH. Even though I have on board air on the MH I use the portable air compressor as I dont want to have to start my big Cummins engine up just to adjust tire pressures. I also carry a Honda 2000i generator in addition to my onboard gen set. This gives me lots of options for powering that air compressor so whether I am boondocking or in an RV park I can run a fairly hefty air compressor that I know will get the job done.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I use this Kobalt from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_57655-30449-0200382_1z10d74+1z140vv__?productId=4686711&Ntt=compressor&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcompressor%26page%3D1&facetInfo=Kobalt

It might be a little slow but doesn't cost a huge amount, goes up to 155 psi and is light weight for the capacity it has. It is cheaper for me to use that than to idle the Freightliner to get air.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I just went through this same exercise and decided on the CO2 route. I used a Poly Performance CO2 Fixed Regulator PPI-2302-02 for $40 which regulates to 150 psi. Don't bother trying to get a regulator with a gauge; the cylinder will have 830 psi +/- until the last drop of CO2 vaporizes. I bought a small 20 cu ft CO2 cylinder at Harbor Freight and exchanged it for a full CO2 bottle at local AirGas. Bought a 6 foot air hose with gauge to fill the tires. Altogether, it cost about $150. It works for me.

Link to Poly Performance CO2 Fixed Regulator - outstanding from the NASA Facilities Engineer!

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Regarding the co2 canister -

How long will the canister last between refills on average? Can they leak or loose pressure?

Also what are the dimensions of the 20 cu ft? Would a smaller canister be advisable if there are storage concerns?

Thanks!

I keep a 120v Porter Cable handy . About $100 , IIRC .

It does everything I need it to do .

c2005_1.jpg

I have one like this and it works great.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Regarding the co2 canister -

How long will the canister last between refills on average? Can they leak or loose pressure?

Also what are the dimensions of the 20 cu ft? Would a smaller canister be advisable if there are storage concerns?

Thanks!

PowerTank website has some useful information regarding tire fills and cylinder sizes. When I go full time, I may add a 10 lb cylinder and use my 5 lb (20 cu ft) as backup.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

As some others mentioned the viair is a great option. I chose this route and purchased the 100% duty cycle unit and was able to install the entire unit below my truck bed (1 ton dually) - and ran the gauge, switch and airline to the rear of my truck bed. I installed the compressor between the bed and the top of the truck frame (to protect the compressor) and ran the air intake up into the truck bed where it will be clean and dry. It works great!

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

As some others mentioned the viair is a great option. I chose this route and purchased the 100% duty cycle unit and was able to install the entire unit below my truck bed (1 ton dually) - and ran the gauge, switch and airline to the rear of my truck bed. I installed the compressor between the bed and the top of the truck frame (to protect the compressor) and ran the air intake up into the truck bed where it will be clean and dry. It works great!

Gene, thanks for the information.

Which model Viair do you have?

Do you have an associated air tank?

Without an air tank, how long do you estimate it would take your unit to inflate an LT 225/75R16 tire from 70# to 80#?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Archived