Shooting

ChiefJohn

Thanks Mike, I'm hoping the recent article in the "American Handgunner" (Jan/Feb 2011) is an indication we'll see it at retailers soon. Much cheaper to purchase/use than the FN 5.7x28 (FiveSeven).

John & Marilyn

2008 Winnebago Vectra ("Mobile Abode"), 2010 Jeep Wrangler

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Mike.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Wow!

John and Mike, thanks for that info. I haven't gotten intrigued by a "new" round in a long time.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Once she gets familiar with her handgun, suggest shooting clays, which is either singles or a great team competition. Of course that means you're gonna have to buy her her own personalized shotgun. :D

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are two, both called Shoot-straight in the Orlando area. The one that I use is in the Apopka area on 441. Large, well run range and great gunshop connected to it. Their site has the locations listed.

Have fun.

The only problem with shoot straight is that you have to shoot their ammo. No reloads and no other factory ammo allowed unless you bought it there. Very nice ranges. If you get further south and west near Punta Gorda there is a large outdoor range at Babcock Webb Wildlife management area.

Jim

2011 Mobile Suites 38REPS4, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually
Picture Page

The only problem with shoot straight is that you have to shoot their ammo. No reloads and no other factory ammo allowed unless you bought it there. Very nice ranges. If you get further south and west near Punta Gorda there is a large outdoor range at Babcock Webb Wildlife management area.

Jim

I have been there many times and usually shoot their ammo (the price isn't bad) but I often shoot my own with no question, typically some type of self defense ammo to verify the ammo's reliability. I don't reload but have seen many there with reloads.

The range is watched and if someone shows up with a "firebreather" load, they will be stopped, there is a concern that the load will not be safe and don't want any(more) people hurt there.

Usually the clerk will ask if you need ammo or targets when you sign up but neither are mandated.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Knoxville, TN has a state sponsored range for rifle and handgun, shooting fees are $5.00 per person. Here in the San Antonio area we have several ranges to enjoy. Just picked up a like new Ruger MK111 Hunter in SS and fluted 6.78 barrel and cocobolo grips. It's a real sweetheart.

2003 American Coach Dream

2005 Saturn VUE toad

That's a sweet gun Bill. The finest .22 handgun in my opinion, and a classic. Just wait until you go to field strip it and clean it though..... :)

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

That's a sweet gun Bill. The finest .22 handgun in my opinion, and a classic. Just wait until you go to field strip it and clean it though..... :)

Does Ruger still use that "next-to-imposssible" to move lever in the grip as part of the tackdown?

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Mike, yes they do. But it is easy to get if you have any fingernails or if you make a small device to get under the front part of it to start pulling it up. That is not the hard part. The hard part is remembering WHEN to re-insert the magazine and pull the trigger - which you have to do several times, AND in getting the little "tail" properly aligned before presseing down that lever again during reassembly. I'd bet it is the hardest pistol to reassemble out there - at least that has any popularity. Oh, and the barrel does not always align properly with the lugs during reassembly.

Really, it is not that hard to do after you learn the tricks.....but there will be some frustration along the way.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Mike, yes they do. But it is easy to get if you have any fingernails or if you make a small device to get under the front part of it to start pulling it up. That is not the hard part. The hard part is remembering WHEN to re-insert the magazine and pull the trigger - which you have to do several times, AND in getting the little "tail" properly aligned before presseing down that lever again during reassembly. I'd bet it is the hardest pistol to reassemble out there - at least that has any popularity. Oh, and the barrel does not always align properly with the lugs during reassembly.

Really, it is not that hard to do after you learn the tricks.....but there will be some frustration along the way.

There is a cure for that. :)

Newt

SpeedStripKit.jpg

Majestic Arms

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

The more I research the .22 TCM and what Rock Island Armory (Armscor and Fred Craig) has in the manufacturing process the more appealing their new 1911-based pistol. While I enjoy shooting my FiveseveN, the apparent lack of ammunition support by FN for the civilian market will possibly be the downfall for the 5.7 x 28mm. If it weren't for the support of Elite Ammunition this caliber would probably already be history. A 50-round box of factory ammo is over $30 a box with applicable local taxes. Kinda steep for range shooting.sad.gif The added versatility of changing over to the 9mm barrel/spring and utilizing the same magazines, makes this a very nice dual purpose automatic at a reasonable MSRP of around $700 -- compared to approximately $1,200 for the FiveseveN, with a single caliber.

John & Marilyn

• 2 weeks later...

ChiefJohn, have you tried Cheaper Than Dirt for ammo. I use them, they give fast service but as always shipping adds to the cost.

Link: http://www.cheaperth...om/Default.aspx

Thanks for the reply and I apologize for the delayed response -- Cheaper Than Dirt only carries two loads for the FiveseveN, the SS197R 40-g FMJ and the SS195LF 28-g hollow point. There is an another dealer that offers a wider selection of 5.7 ammunition at a higher price. We need for one of the major manufacturers to come on board and make a wider range of 5.7 ammunition.

John & Marilyn

Within the broader context of this thread, I would like to make our members of a new "rule" over at iRV2.com, "General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about specific or pending legislation or regulations that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they become disruptive." This thread is located at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f1/irv2-community-rules-change-politics-107652.html.

Once again, the few have imposed their views on the gun owners that frequent this forum.

John & Marilyn

• 3 weeks later...

We're at the SKP park in Bushnell and I just picked up a Kimber Pro CDP II yesterday that I'm dying to try out. I hear a lot of shooting going on in the area, and somebody said there is an informal gun range between the campground and I-75, and/or west of I-75 past the National Cemetery but I can't figure out where it is.

Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper

http://gypsyjournalrv.com/category/nicksblog/

Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

We're at the SKP park in Bushnell and I just picked up a Kimber Pro CDP II yesterday that I'm dying to try out. I hear a lot of shooting going on in the area, and somebody said there is an informal gun range between the campground and I-75, and/or west of I-75 past the National Cemetery but I can't figure out where it is.

Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

Enjoy Nick

I shoot mine better than my Series 70.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Nick that is one sweet pistol, I'd be itching to try it out too. Meticulous finish work and all the combat accouterments to give the edge needed.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

WELLL!!! I'm envious. I'll be there Sunday and want to see this baby. How did you manage to buy that in FL? Given you are not a FL resident.....Private sale? I'll have to look up FL laws.... I've been looking for a Ruger SR9c but did not think I could buy it in most states, since I'm a TX resident.

ps. guess Amazon has been generous to you :);)

www.jackdanmayer.com

WELLL!!! I'm envious. I'll be there Sunday and want to see this baby. How did you manage to buy that in FL? Given you are not a FL resident.....Private sale? I'll have to look up FL laws.... I've been looking for a Ruger SR9c but did not think I could buy it in most states, since I'm a TX resident.

ps. guess Amazon has been generous to you :);)

Jack, it was private sale.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

And yes, amazon has been very good to me :lol:

I have appreciated this thread on shooting, I like to shoot! We have been in an RV since mid 2003. I have dwindled my caliber collection down to 12 gauge, .22 and .357. All of my hand guns are .357, one take down .22 browning rifle and a Benelli Super Nova Tactical (12 Gauge) in Desert Camo. I don't shoot the 22 or shotgun a lot but I love to shoot the 357's. From mild 38 specials to full 357 magnums.

That got expensive! I have been reloading 38 and 357 for the last year or so with the Lee Hand Press. I have a couple of sets of dies, loading data books, some spare powder, primers and projectiles that all fit in a shallow rubbermaid container. I recently purchased a brass tumbler to clean the empty brass cases which will most likely stay at our winter destination.

I have no intensions of reloading shot shells or any other caliber at this time. I am trying to keep it simple. My costs for reloading (after initial investment) are reduced drastically, It is actually kind of fun!

Does any one else reload on the road? It really does not require a lot of space.

Jim

2011 Mobile Suites 38REPS4, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually
Picture Page

Archived