Shooting

ChiefJohn

National Shooting Sports has a web page and an App that finds shooting ranges in proximity of your location--it works very well. I use Shoot Straight in Ft Myers, the Manatee County Shooting range outside Bradenton FL, Jackson WY shooting club. If you are ever out in Idaho, there is a very nice range outside Rexburg that has a Cowboy Shooting range that is awesome. Another nice range to stop by if in the area is the one just west of Pierre S. Dakota. One thing about shooting competitions, they are loads of fun, but shooting is like golf and skiing... they tend to be expensive and the more you do them the you want to do them again.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little good news for the shooting sports. The Federal Appeals Court ruled against efforts to have EPA regulate the use of lead in ammunition. Unfortunately, government regulations have already resulted in the closure of the last lead smelter in the US so any lead ore mined in the US has to be exported and then the refined lead imported.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Regarding reloading. About three years ago I bought a Ruger SP101 2 1/4 inch barrel 357 (strictly self defense). At that time I bought A Lee breech lock hand press along with supplies and some accessories like a small digital scale and a powder trickler. See HERE

It all fit in a plastic box that went under the bed. Slow but works fine. Much cheaper to practice using reloaded ammo.

Of course last year after we moved here to CO and I got all of my stuff that had been stored in NH for 12 years unpacked, I now have my reloading bench and equipment so that I can set it up. :)

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Clay,

Did you ever try that Lee Hand Press, on any bottleneck, rifle cases? If so, did you try to full length size them.

Butch

Mostly use mine (not the breech lock model) for straight walled pistol. Prefer neck sizing for most rifle rounds.... That said I use it for .22 Hornet and .223 Rem. Have tested it for full length on a few, namely - 30-06, 30-30, 25-06, 284 Rem, 243 Rem. Works fine, just make sure cases are properly lubed.... NO WAY you want to deal with a stuck case with one of these NOR would I want to try it for case reforming.

For a few boxes... not a problem. For more regular use...... naturally a good turrent or progressive press for sure.

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Butch, Just saw your post. I didn't get an auto notice for some reason. I thought I had clicked on "Follow This Topic" but must not have.

In answer to your question, the only thing I used it for was reloading 38 special rounds. The die can be adjusted for 357 mag but I practiced with 38 S.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Dave and lay,

Thanks for your input and information. I presently load on 2, Dillon, 550s and a Rockchucker, so a "hand press" would definitely be a change.

Many things are uncertain yet, I'm not even sure how much opportunity I will have to shoot.

About the only rifle calibers I would be interested in loading would be, .300 BLK, .223/5.56 and 22-250. Handgun is, .380, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .45 Colt.

Plus I do some "oddball" loading, .410 using .444 Marlin cases.

Butch

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

Butch, you will have as much opportunity to shoot while on the road as you make. There are lots of places to shoot. It is no real problem.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

Thanks for that encouragement. I would guess that it's easier to find places to shoot handguns, than it would be rifles, especially longer range rounds, like the 22-250.

That will probably influence what gets kept vs what gets sold.

Butch

That will probably influence what gets kept vs what gets sold.

Butch

Yes, to that. I sold almost everything. For long guns I have some Ruger 10/22's that I shoot fairly often. A 12 ga. shotgun (Mossburg 500). And for handguns I have a variety that will remain unnamed.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Yes, to that. I sold almost everything. For long guns I have some Ruger 10/22's that I shoot fairly often. A 12 ga. shotgun (Mossburg 500). And for handguns I have a variety that will remain unnamed.

I have NEVER sold one.... Once it is in my grasp it stays there.... :blink:

Clear up to 1..... maybe 2 by now.... :ph34r:

Sort of like Renee and dogs..... never pass one up that holds still long enough to pet.

Dave

1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

OK, Dave....let me understand this. Are you relating your lovely wife and dogs? Or am I confused.

As to the guns...well, you should never lose money on a decent gun...so I guess you could consider it an investment plan ;)

www.jackdanmayer.com

OK, Dave....let me understand this. Are you relating your lovely wife and dogs? Or am I confused.

Jack...

Of course not !

BUT now that you mention it (which caused me to re-read the post), the statement does get the imagination kicked into overdrive..... ^_^ Better leave it at that... :unsure:

Dave

Before we made this trip, I made a new inventory of all my firearms, it had been a LONG time since I had done that. I made the SERIOUS mistake of, having my wife help me take it! Good thing that she's easy going, or there could have been some real serious explaining to do.

Lets just say that it had changed a bit, and leave it go at that.

Butch

Archived