Shooting

ChiefJohn

I hope this thread does not turn into another pro/con discussion of the shooting sport. My DW surprised me by asking to attend small arms training and purchasing a revolver. She has never fired a weapon in her life -- got her a Ruger LCR. 38 Special (+P). We are going to start going to local ranges during our travels. We see this as an opportunity to jointly participate in a sport and hone our weapons skills.

John & Marilyn

2008 Winnebago Vectra ("Mobile Abode"), 2010 Jeep Wrangler

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this thread does not turn into another pro/con discussion of the shooting sport. My DW surprised me by asking to attend small arms training and purchasing a revolver. She has never fired a weapon in her life -- got her a Ruger LCR. 38 Special (+P). We are going to start going to local ranges during our travels. We see this as an opportunity to jointly participate in a sport and hone our weapons skills.

Have fun, it is a great sport and will allow you to have an other common interest. Pro or con, doesn't matter, you picked a direction, enjoy.

There is also a difference between the shooting sport and self defense training. Many, many people are involved in the shooting sport but only a VERY small handful will be involved in actual self defense shootings, and that is a good thing!!!!

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Chief,

There are lots of ways to go. That techie little 38 Special is suited for a lot of combat competitions and would lend itself well to combat style competitions with some good tactical holster gear. Did you order it with the crimson trace grips? Those are really great for some fun in tactical competitions. I am way out of touch since retirement with the current organizations and competitive opportunities but I am sure on the road you'll find some great places to shoot and compete. Keep us posted on what you do find out there. I am sure there are some folks that may be interested.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

DW is sold on the Crimson Trace grips -- I would not want to be on the other end of that little red beam!!ohmy.gif We're going out again this weekend and she'll be trying my FiveSeven (5.7 X 28). I'm hoping this grows into a lasting sport we can both participate in -- all indications are that she's really excited about continued range time. She's been discussing with some of her gal buddies in our RV park and several of them are also into the shooting sport.

John & Marilyn

Well, all I can say is good choice!! DW and I have been sport shooters and hunters for many years. When we were younger and had that "perfect vision" of youth we shot a lot of the more precision sports but now we are mostly skeet shooters and bird hunters. We belong to five different gun clubs in three states and try to stop at all as we go about the country. Many skeet clubs have RV facilities of which we take advantage. Agree with the Crimson Trace grips, my pocket gun is a hammerless S&W with the Crimson Trace grips and really enjoy shooting it when ever I can. If you all get serious about shooting you might consider getting a nice .22 for some of your practice, it's a lot cheaper to shoot if you are not reloading your practice ammo, Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Good choice Newt! I also have a Browning Buck Mark that is a good shooter. Have a T/C Contender with a .22 barrel that the kids shot off of sand bags when they younger, a new safe single shot .22 pistol that I also used for a production gun in IHMSA .22 events, won a few matches with it when I was young enough to see!! I don't think you can have too many .22s, but my wife says I made the same comment about rifles, shotguns, fly rods etc, Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Nothing nicer/better than a Ruger Mark III in stainless :) With a nice long bull barrel.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We just arrived at the Clark County Shooting Park in Las Vegas,Nv. for our first work camping experiance. Pistol,rifle,shotgun and archery ranges at the present time. And one of the benefits is you shoot for free. You can find info at www.clarkcountynv.com

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Wonderful.... That is one of the advantages of our property here in NM (where we are at the moment), have a berm set up with a 130 yard range (marked at 7, 25, 50, 75, and 100 yds). Can either sit out by the front door and pop off a few rounds, or walk out and set up the chronograph and do some load development.

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Finding a place to shoot can be difficult on the road. In Tucson, there is a public range a mile or so from the Pima County Fairgrounds, which also has a campground. Does anybody know of a range around the Orlando/Clerment or Bushnell, Florida areas.

Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper

http://gypsyjournalrv.com/category/nicksblog/

Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

I just re-located my Grandson to Abilene, TX to start his first REAL job. Yesterday we found the local range north of town - great place for him to meet some new friends. I also have a Contender with a 22 barrel that is a good unit for ranges. With the 410 barrel, it is good for other things. Looking to put a .17 barrel on it, with a scope, for some of the longer ranges.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Finding a place to shoot can be difficult on the road. In Tucson, there is a public range a mile or so from the Pima County Fairgrounds, which also has a campground. Does anybody know of a range around the Orlando/Clerment or Bushnell, Florida areas.

There are two, both called Shoot-straight in the Orlando area. The one that I use is in the Apopka area on 441. Large, well run range and great gunshop connected to it. Their site has the locations listed.

Have fun.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

I just re-located my Grandson to Abilene, TX to start his first REAL job. Yesterday we found the local range north of town - great place for him to meet some new friends. I also have a Contender with a 22 barrel that is a good unit for ranges. With the 410 barrel, it is good for other things. Looking to put a .17 barrel on it, with a scope, for some of the longer ranges.

I have a .17 HMR barrel for mine and LOVE it....;)

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting news on the "new caliber" front, Armscor, Rock Island Armory, a 1911 design, this new caliber is the .22 TCM, (based on the .223 case) pushes a 40-grain bullet at 2,050 fps. And, to top this off, they include a 9mm barrel and recoil spring, utilizing the same magazine! rolleyes.gif

John & Marilyn

John, you got a link to that?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Anyone familiar with a range near Mesa,AZ. we'll be wintering there Jan.-Apr.??

OOPS! I just found TCW's post with the Range Listings attachment. Found one in Mesa...actually quite a few in the Phoenix area.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Archived