Norton, Kaspersky, or?

LindaH

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

Big Update on Windows defender!

"Windows Defender was recently boosted by an industry-respected AV Test report that gave it a perfect rating alongside F-Secure Safe 17 and Norton Security 22 for home antivirus protection. The differentiator is that Windows Defender is a free solution that comes installed as part of Windows 10. This was excellent news for both Microsoft, which has been working hard to make Defender a top-notch security offering, and users who can get the best protection out there without splashing the cash."

The independent Anti-malware antivirus rating lab, that years ago rated Windows Defender pretty low, and for some, that was the last time many looked. Well for quite some time now, Windows Defender has gotten top scores, now perfect, which few others have gotten.

While I know it's easy to feel attached and loyal to a security program you've used for years. Defender is all I use backed up by Malwarebytes paid version. However, that's only because I have five lifetime premium licenses that cover all but one of my systems, but they all have Windows Defender as the primary defense against Malware.

Here's the latest list of the test results of all the top A/V Anti-malware programs stack up against each other: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Here is the Windows Defender page where you can learn more: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/june-2019/microsoft-windows-defender-4.18-192315/

I just can't see paying for any product that does not exceed the AVTest.org perfect score Windows free Defender, earned, or even equals it. Free versus paid? Do the math. Free? Paid?

Remember do not try to run any other security A/V program with any other except Malwarebytes as an adjunct to Defender. But that's not really necessary. If you decide to switch remember to download the removal tool from your vendor, and run it as your vendor instructs. Do not leave any Antimalware programs installed when using Defender. Any questions ask below in the main thread topics.

Safe computing!

Derek,

I appreciate how you follow the technology industry and post usable information for the rest of us. I'm posting this in support of what you have said above and to say that I have been using (only) Windows Defender for a couple of years now with excellent results and no incidents of infections or malware on our two laptops. One thing I never liked about products like Norton (besides the money-grabbing pricing schemes) was the amount of resources and overhead they demand. I found that they slowed down most processes - especially web browsing. Windows Defender seems to be more efficient and less "consumptive" than avast! which I used for a long time, too. (I was a systems and database manager for a large community hospital before retiring and all the techs recommended avast! for PCs.)

So another vote for Windows Defender from a satisfied user.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome Rob. And thank you!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Kirk W unpinned this topic