Are You Still In?

Guest cindona

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

david3639, Congratulations on moving to I Savings Bonds at a pretty good time. And congratulations on kicking your addiction.

Treasury Direct is a good place to research the various US Bonds available. Today, the available interest rates are not very compelling. Actually the fixed rate on the 30 year I Savings Bond is 0%!! The current inflation rate which is added to the fixed rate is only 1.76%! So you bought in at a pretty good time compared to now (so did I and a friend I give financial advice to.)

What grinds me about some US bonds that are directly affected by the inflation rate is the less than honest/accurate method used to estimate inflation. As I have said before, the inflation rate when estimated by the "1990 methods" gives a current rate of about 5%.

So what is the actual, real world inflation rate? I sure don't know, but neither does the FED. However, their extra low estimate sure makes it easy for them to keep inflating the money supply with QE and thus forcing down market interest rates and thus discouraging bond investors and "forcing" some of them to move out of bonds and into the stock market which is nicely and temporally inflating the stock market.

Cheers John

John & Karen "1/3 - timers"

The best things in life aren't things.

Avatar: Padre Island National Seashore, TX

2008 17' Taylor Coach, Lightweight Trailer, 2050lb Dryweight (axles and tongue)

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

http://www.tflguide.com/2011/04/how-investors-react-in-different-market-situations.html

Are you a:

Window shopper,

Seasonal trader,

Scapegoat,

Hi-Tech Lalaji,

Mr. Cool?

See the above article and see which characterization matches which posts most consistently. This is an insightful article that is entertaining in its approach. And so true!

No one has responded to your post, me neither, but this article by Bill Gross made me think of your post. Mostly what Gross' article reminds me of is that how well any of us do with our investments is a lifetime question, not a question of how well we are doing this year or even over the the past x years, but over a lifetime - just as one's character is not determined by a most recent immoral or moral choice, but over a lifetime of choices.

Cheers John

Cheers John

John & Karen "1/3 - timers"

The best things in life aren't things.

Avatar: Padre Island National Seashore, TX

2008 17' Taylor Coach, Lightweight Trailer, 2050lb Dryweight (axles and tongue)

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

In the current economy, Seniors who rely on CD's and compound interest are truly screwed!

Newt

Unless, of course, they are also borrowers in which case life is good.

Which is better? A CD paying 12% with 15% inflation like we saw in the late '70's/early 80's? Or a CD paying 1% with 2-3% inflation?

I don't know because I don't put my money in CD's so I've not given it any thought.

Here is an alternative to CD's. Dividend paying stocks.

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/investing-ideas/dividend-sweet-spot?ccsource=email_weekly

You might want to take a look at VDC. Vanguard Consumer Staples ETF. Currently yielding 2.75%. Not very risky as the stock market goes.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=vdc

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0955&FundIntExt=INT#tab=1

I would be careful with bonds. Long and medium term especially. As soon as inflation takes hold, and it's inevitable, bond holders are going to take a good butt kicking. At least say the investment guru's of which I am not.

Wishing you the best results with whatever your decision may be.

ed

With the usual caveat that my advice is worth every cent you paid for it.

John,

I am Mr. Cool. You didn't answer for yourself, true.

Tesla closed at over $50.00 @ $50.19 today, their all time high, and may well soon see a short squeeze in a major way from unexpected sources.

Yes I am still in, and long.

;)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Tesla three times higher than this week's all time highs of over $50.00 a share by the end of 2013? Likely I believe, and so do others.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1377241-tesla-motors-amazing-future-earnings-potential?source=yahoo

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Derek, I'm sitting in the Dubai airport reading about TSLA and watching the stock jump and it makes me smile. Probably not as much as you though. So are you going to sell it at this level or hold?

Jim

Jim,

Here's an article that explains my position better than a long post.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1391321-tesla-s-short-squeeze-is-here?source=yahoo

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I had just re-read most of this thread, 20 pages. Hindsight is 20-20, and since this thread covers many member opinions and comments over almost three years, it is eye opening to read it again. It is notable how several folks gloated when Tesla was low, when I bought more if possible. But now that I am seeing my holdings become serious money, I am so glad I don't act from peer pressure. I do notice some of the folks who tried to gloat when it was down and were surprised when my only regret was I

missed the hour long buying opportunity again. And hoped my stock, from investor irrational fears, tanked just one more time and it did, three times, one of which I caught in time to buy the last block I could afford.

If any were shorting it this whole time, rather than gloat about my good fortune I would hope they get out before next week. I am staying as I don't have any short investments. Jim Rack was kind enough to explain shorts to me privately so now I at least know what a short squeeze is. (thanks Jim!)

I hope my friends here aren't shorting Tesla. If shorts are not squeezed in the next week, they will be, and soon, and continuing through the rest of the year.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

2 PM and it is beginning to look like Tesla will break $58 a share today. It is fluctuating in the 57.97-9 area now.

Update, it broke $60.00 a share briefly after hours, holding around 59.80 now. Daily average volume of trades is about 2.5 million trades. Today it was 4.3 million trades on the stock.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/05/08/tesla-racing-out-of-the-valley-of-death-onto-the-road-ahead/?partner=yahootix

Tesla went from a 55 and change close to 69 after hours after delivering three times the average 4% earnings forecast by analysts on average. They announced 12%

Or maybe some folks are listening to fud like these:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/09/bill-oreilly-smears-tesla-motors-with-2011-financial-data/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Unbelievable, it has been up to 75 several times and trades are up Thursday from the previous average of 2m plus to 28million trades in one day! I have more than tripled my investment as of now, at 68.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Derek, remember you have not made a dime until you cash in... ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Derek,

Have you considered putting in a "stop loss" at $75 for 1/3 to 1/2 of your shares, so you can lock in the gain if the price starts to go down, but still be in on any gains if it keeps going up? If it does go down, you can then put a stop loss in for the rest of your shares, at something like $70. If it drops way down you can buy in again and get more shares than you have now.

Don

Jack,

Same thing I said when it tanked and I got in my last two buy opportunities at ~ 22.50 after getting my first small block at 17. My SH was freaking that we had lost money when it dropped from 27 to the 22range. I told her you don't make or lose money until you sell. Both possible when you buy. Only loss possible when money sits. I explained that taxes, both government and greed based like the price of gasoline, and continued surtaxes on electricity called fuel surcharges, do to savings at the current no interest interest rates like the small drains from clocks and memory chips will eventually drain a car of power if not moved to generate more once in awhile. (while they have stopped production of natural gas down here because the price has gone way down and they don't make as much. Then what is produced is not benefitting us here where it is produced because they make more selling to overseas markets and thus the giant gas ships seen at our ports)

I am thinking of selling half my shares at 100 and may put a sell order in. However, regardless of the rest of the market, I am long on Tesla because they aren't even close to finished yet. I know that the Model X SUV will be in production in 2014. I also know they will have their consumer version out by 2017. I may very well sit out the short squeeze, which is not over by a long shot.

In any event, I am not your typical investor, and Tesla is not your typical company. No start up car company, ICE or electric has ever gotten into full production, let alone at a profit. Let alone with reservations for all of them made. Let alone been declared the Car of the year against the ICE big manufacturers. Let alone getting a 99/100 from Consumer Reports? ( When asked the CR evaluator said it was not given that for only the electric car group, but against all cars, the best of which get 80s. Let alone with solar free charging stations already built in CA and expanding across the nation that are solar powered. Let alone having Elon Musk at the helm who also owns their solar installation company Solar City.

So it is difficult for me to treat it as a conventional stock. I am more likely to ride it to the top, which I see as in the 300-600 range. I could have sold half and had each 10k block plus another 15k for a total of 25k for every 10 I have invested.

But I may put a sell for 100 in. Whether that takes a few weeks, or the rest of the year makes no difference to me. I know that will happen. The greedy part is my belief in much more. So I am really in the same position I was before. There is another side to it. I am not paying up to 15% to the IRS until I cash in either. That 15% is still earning while invested.

Please don't worry for me. If I lose, I am not broke. The idea is not the money, as I have said many times before. The idea was to help get us off oil, reduce pollution, and help make energy sustainable, cheaper, and renewable. Musk is doing those things in ways that already can't be reversed. Musk will be joining the other great engineers in the history books like his company namesake. He has already done to the auto industry what Bill Gates did to the personal computer and saving Apple from bankruptcy in 1998 , if I remember correctly. He is not done yet.

His company is not done using my money.

I am not done being part of it, albeit vicariously through my small investment in the overall scheme of things.

In September the Electric Smart will be for sale at the Dallas store, and if Tesla does go over 100, I will take out enough to buy one and use the 7500 tax credit. I don't drive 100 miles a day ever anymore. They get 119 miles per charge.

Now my dream if it does go over say 300, is to use Solar City to put in state of the art solar here for my vehicles and house, and buy a 500 mile range Tesla Model X to go along with my electric Smart, and keep my diesel truck for hauling. I drive it so little I have only put 4k miles on it hauling things and bringing the lawnmower in. I mostly just drive it once a week to full operating temp for that day's rat killing errands. A 35 gallon tank lasts me a couple of months or more.

So my answer Jack is I know. That is why it will all likely stay there.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Don,

I have no idea what you are talking about. Does it involve an added risk or payments to a third party? I don't do shorts, don't really understand them either. I am fine long with Tesla. Been with them ten years but only got be a backer three years ago. They just went into the black this quarter. A little soon to worry dontcha think? Remember I got in at the start and again twice more for additional blocks at 22.5. I don't feel I will lose, in fact my doubling was at around 43-44. If it goes back down I will buy more. I don't think they will go away. They are like the proverbial genie that got out of the bottle. They aren't going back in. The opposition did not manage to keep the lid on it, not even with the help of O'Reilly with two year old data showing his ignorance as usual, or Palin comparing them to Solyndra and big Gov't when they are paying the loan off earlier. And most did not know of the billions the previous administration gave to Nissan and GM to develop sustainable energy low pollution vehicles in what was it, 2004-7?

I truly believe they are the next Apple from an investment perspective, but what do I know? But I do not believe I am in danger of any losses in the near to midterm. I am backing the new global American Car company, and helping to make solar recharging and EVs a reality. I may even buy a Smart Electric in September when they arrive in Dallas. Cash. ;)

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Short version.

The shorts haven't fully panicked yet, many of the major analysts changed it from a hold, to a buy in the last week. More daily. I expect it to hit 100 as soon as the short squeeze is working. The squeeze is on and it will be apparent from the next few days to the next few weeks. Shares are up on the good news. Sort covering will really drive the price up temporarily. Then it will stabilize I'd guess at around 60-70, and grow in fits and starts to over 200 in the next few years. I expect it will be more, but that is my conservative estimate. I will still be posting in the next few years. We'll see if I am reading the tea leaves, and the Tesla schedule of events, and goals, correctly. Execution is not on my worry list.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Derek,

I think you are doing the right thing, or at least your doing what I probably would do and hang on to Tesla, if I had the foresight and cahunas to get in early. History may show we are wrong, but you gotta be in it to win it. I have put a smaller portion of my retiremernt savings into some speculative stocks. In that group I have 3 pretty big winners that I am hanging onto for now. FUN, is an amusment park LP that is up over 162% including reinvested dividends since buying it once a couple years ago. It pays a big dividend, so I need to watch out for rising interest rates. And I own two 3D printer companies, one that makes printers, SSYS, and one, PRLB, that you e-mail them a 3D file and they ship you the printed object the next day. SInce I bought last year PRLB is up over 94% and SSYS is up 79%. I have had some loosers that I sold and some losers that I am hanging onto in hopes they come around. On average I am doing OK, about the same as my less speculative portfolio, and certainly better than any CD or other "safe" investment, and I am having fun doing it.

I have used stop loss and trailing stop loss orders, but they make me nervous now that computer programs can send a stock crashing down in seconds or even milliseconds. Once a stop loss order is triggered, a market order is issued. By the time that market order is filled, it is possible for the stock to drop much lower than I would have wanted to sell at. The stock might drop most of it's value. A few minutes later when everyone knows it was a error of some kind, the stock price is back where it was, In the meantime a stop loss order could have wiped your position out. The same thing could happen when I place a market order, but I think the odds of it going into free-fall at the same time are much less. I say that because I think if a stock heads south and hits my stop loss level, it is already in play and seems more likely to be involved in a flash crash. I still hear financial pundants suggest stop loss orders, but I am not so sure they are still such a good idea with todays high speed trading.

Happy investing!

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Thanks Jim!

It is nice that folks are looking out for the less experienced with their experience. I do over explain and ramble on them though because online folks tend to take offense at some of my grinning posts because of the lack of body language and audible voice inflection. I do appreciate all the feedback. Like when everyone thought I was nuts and I stuck it out, and now the same, I am in it for the long haul. My fear of taking out any out is that I will not be able to buy back at the same or lower price. Plus, if that makes me enough and I can sell at 80 say, then rebuy at 70, the taxes might eat the profit or worse. I like the idea of the 3d printers and may have to buy one one day. Like the Tesla Model S, it isn't that I can't afford it, it is that I won't right now. I have no one to impress and I think I will get as much of a thrill out of the Smart Electric with one of our drive trains in it. My luxury sports car days are over by lack of interest. My interest in solar and EVs is because of dwindling resources as I get older. The ones they will surely keep charging more for until the demand drops, like oil and electric, and the ones at my disposal from being robbed by oil interests and idiots that want me to pay their taxes because I don't make as much. There really were no affordable alternative energy vehicles or cheap solar until recently.

Sounds like you have a handle on the stop loss issues but I know if there is an angle in investing, it will also have a hook. I don't want to make money betting against my company. My losses are theirs, and vice versa. It might take some more ups and downs to finish bringing this technology to the masses, but we will. I think this is as seminal a paradigm shift as changing from the horse to the horseless. I am sure the last vinyl records will be in a museum one day, along with internal combustion engines, steam engine displays, cassette tapes, 8 tracks, CDs and DVDs, and CRT television screens.

I won't fly in a plane where I am the pilot. That was my attitude about the stock market and casinos. I left the gambling to gamblers and my long term investment in fund managers hands and they have done quite alright. I look at you guys here in the know about stocks like I look at local small plane pilots. I know I could, but other things take priority to do yet. And there are no shortcuts to knowing what you are doing and the cost/benefits.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Single stock shots are gambles - with a little information they can be better than Las Vegas game odds - and its fun when they hit big.

Stock gambles that I've sold too early (took the profit and ran) are Apple, IBM, Xone, Vertex and a few others.

In those cases, Warren Buffet was right; buy and keep good companies.

As for "being in the market";

Its been proven over and over again that index funds will perform best over the long run for the investor.

But I'm timing the market too. I believe that the general market will hold up well until Obama's second year at which point extreme caution is my outlook.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Cathy & Jim said:

I have used stop loss and trailing stop loss orders, but they make me nervous now that computer programs can send a stock crashing down in seconds or even milliseconds. Once a stop loss order is triggered, a market order is issued. By the time that market order is filled, it is possible for the stock to drop much lower than I would have wanted to sell at. The stock might drop most of it's value. A few minutes later when everyone knows it was a error of some kind, the stock price is back where it was, In the meantime a stop loss order could have wiped your position out. The same thing could happen when I place a market order, but I think the odds of it going into free-fall at the same time are much less. I say that because I think if a stock heads south and hits my stop loss level, it is already in play and seems more likely to be involved in a flash crash. I still hear financial pundants suggest stop loss orders, but I am not so sure they are still such a good idea with todays high speed trading.

Happy investing!

Jim

I don't disagree that a flash crash could cause the sale to occur at a lower price than the price one set to trigger the sale, but you may note that I specifically asked about a partial sale of 1/3 or 1/2 of Derek's stock, not his entire holdings. Doing it that way limits how much stock could be sold at a lower than desired price. Nothing wrong with using market sell orders, except the same thing can happen, as you said. Using market orders also limits the upside potential or forces the owner to watch the stock continuously to decide the exact time to sell (if they want to try to maximize their profit).

Derek,

To answer your question about stop loss orders (Jim's concerns not withstanding) - They do not require any additional payments to third parties (unless you use an unusual brokerage firm that charges extra for such things, but most large/good brokerage houses do not). Nor do they add significant additional risk IMHO (if one feels flash crashes are significant risks, then I guess they do add significant risk).

In its simplest form, a stop loss order is a request to have your brokerage house sell a defined number of your shares if the price drops below a price that you define. You always have the ability to rescind the stop loss order if you decide not to sell, if you do so before the trigger price is reached.

Example: When I looked at TSLA today, it was at around $77. If I owned any and the price was double or triple what I paid for it, I might want to lock in my gains (or at least ensure that there was no way I could lose any real money) by selling enough shares to recoup my initial investment at say $70 (if I had initially purchased 1000 shares at $35, I could sell 500 shares at $70). I would still have 500 shares working for me and if the price goes back up, great. If it continues down I can choose to sell or hang on to the other 500 shares. Or I could use the $3500 I got from the sale of the 500 shares that I sold to buy more shares at the cheaper price (when the price drops to where I think it's worth buying again). If it went back down to $35 I could buy 1000 more shares and hope it goes back up. Now I would have 1500 shares, having risked only my initial $3500. If the price doesn't drop below $70, nothing happens to my shares and I just keep riding the price up. If it goes to say $80, I can raise my price for the stop loss to $75 and make even more if it drops below $75.

Jim's point about computer trading is why I would have no problem if the SEC changed the trading rules so that some period of time greater than milliseconds (let's say 30 minutes or an hour) must pass before an entity can sell shares they just bought.

IMO it would be nice if the stock market got back to its original function - allowing investors to own a share of a company that they feel will make money over the (relatively) long term, because it does its business well, not because a big chunk of money was used to buy the stock making it "seem" more desirable and artificially driving the price up so that those very same shares can be sold for one penny more than they were bought for. But that might put a crimp on the traders.

Don

First, let me say that I am a total investing amateur and should not be giving out any advice to others. I was only sharing my personal fear of stop loss orders because I have heard of some investors who lost real serious money with stop loss orders in place during flash crashes. Despite my fear, I did use them recently. I was planning a major purchase in a few weeks. I needed to liquidate some stock, but I hated to sell when the market had been going up day after day. I knew I wanted to sell, and the only question was sell today, tomorrow, or next week. So I placed trailing stop loss orders which automatically stepped up as the price went up. I was able to squeeze a bit more out of my investments before they sold several days later. I assumed the flash crash risk was small enough to take, but it did make me nervous, and I thought you (Derek) should not assume stock will always sell close to the limit you set in a stop loss order.

Second, let me clarify that I think Don's strategy has a lot of merit and I do not disagree with anything he has said. I will be considering using his strategy myself with some of the stocks I own.

And lastly, I want to say that in my humble and uneducated opinion, people who diversify like I do will never get rich investing in the market. I do have money in index funds! I wish I had the risk tolerance to put it all on that one stock that I was sure of, and leave it there when others say I am foolish, but I don’t. I am not saying you (Derek) are putting all your chips on Tesla, but I do applaud you for sticking with your convictions and I feel you deserve the rewards.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Thanks guys!

I am listening and learning. I am long on Tesla for now. If all I do is double then great. But even at triple today, were I to take a profit, I believe I would regret not waiting for the short squeeze to get frantic, and that should be sooner than later. Besides, the target price is higher than 70 now I believe. Watch the next few weeks, maybe up to a couple of months. I am not really nervous about this.

What I don't think I will live to see is the traveling wave reactors that will use our spent rods we are currently storing for fuel, and literally run for not much further cost for 50 years on one fueling. http://www.terrapower.com/

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are backing that among other world changing initiatives to pay back through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. (Warren left his wealth to the foundation)

20 years from now energy won't be the issue. Not even China will want to buy middle eastern oil by then.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I just reread my post and noted that I can't add (multiply). A 1000 shares at $35 would be $35,000 not $3500. At least I consistently can't add.

Maybe that suggests that I shouldn't be in the stock market, nor suggesting how to deal in the stock market. I'd watch out for me if I was you. :rolleyes:

Don

Don,

Don't worry, I caught that on reading it. I used similar figures when I was figuring on taking my investment back and letting the rest ride. I just assumed a typo. Me, I use a calculator once I have removed my sneaks and run out of fingers and toes!

:D

I still haven't ruled out selling half, and having 1.5 times my original investment in hand. But then I realized that I have no other place as clear cut as Tesla to put it at the moment. So for now I am holding and enjoying the ride.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

In answer to the original question - yes, we are still in. In fact we never completely got out. Has been an interesting few years. Now the questions is when to shift and what to shift into. We're starting to approach the age when we will have to do minimum distributions.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834