CLASS OF 2016

We squeaked in under the wire for the class of 2016! My intro:

In July DH and I were planning to sell our tired S&B in Detroit and have a new one built on the other side of the country. I was oh-so-ready to quit my unsatisfying job, and he'd gotten approval to work remote at his current job. While trying to finalize floor plans, he had an epiphany: if I can work remote from X, I can work remote from A, B, or C, too! So we decided to accelerate our retirement "plan" and shift gears into moving into our camping trailer to travel instead of buying a new house.

In 6 months we did a huge amount of work on the trailer as well as finishing (most) of those house projects that had piled up in 16 years. We sold or gave away almost everything, and on Christmas Eve we finally left the empty house and headed south away from the ice & snow. We made it to San Antonio on New Years Day and will be here at least through February. Because of all the projects we weren't able to put the house on the market until we left, but we had 2 offers within 48 hours, and hopefully the sale will close early next month.

DH (Shawn) works fulltime as an IT manager. I'm going to be pursuing part-time work as a grantwriter and keeping house. We plan to travel leisurely around the country, moving about once a month or so since DH only has weekends to either explore, relax, or drive. We have a little 20-pound chi mix with an adorable underbite named Elvis. We're in our 40s with no human dependents. ^_^

Right now we have a 2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35TS which is comfortable enough but doesn't fully suit DH's desire to have a private office space and room for a toy like a Polaris Razor. Therefore we're looking to possibly get a DRV Fullhouse JX450 or possibly a Spacecraft this year as they have the only configuration that we like. We tow with a Volvo 730 big rig, and I drive my Nissan behind (for now).

See you on the forums and hopefully on the road!

-Andrea

Blog: https://sturburbia.wordpress.com

BizCard.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, we've been living in the bus since August, but mostly in the driveway. The house closes on the 15th and we hit the road permanently.

Congrats Gannett!:) where are you off to first?

We are sitting in Florida waiting for the northern Temps to warm up so we can head north west for the summer.

2014 Newmar Ventana

2016 Buick Enclave

• 3 weeks later...

we are still at the Cajun Palms RV Resort in the Henderson, LA area. we got here on Feb 5th and it's been quite a month. we went to the Mardi Gras kick off parade in Lafayette and it was a blast.

we have been looking at 5th wheels and found the perfect one for us. we took delivery on the 22nd of feb the same day we decided to get sick!! we got moved over at the dealership and then they delivered it to the campground. we went to the urgent care last week, we both have bronchitis. now that we are on the mend we decided to stay another month and explore the area more.

last night we went to the Bayou Teche brewery and meet some neat people who told all the good local places to go and see. we have meet so many friendly people here. we went and had pizza from one suggestion and it was really good.

hope everyone is doing well

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

Steve, Dara and Mattie dog

thanks Angie- we are feeling great now- it lasted about 3 weeks.

we are ready for summer too- I now we need to go to Elkhart to wrap up a few things and then to get our South Dakota drivers license.

just need to fill in the rest! our camper and Tessa dog 

cajunpalms.JPG

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

• 1 month later...

In three days it'll be our 3-month anniversary since leaving the house for the last time. In that time we've done about 3,000 miles, visited 6 states, and stayed in 15 campgrounds, which includes 3 Escapees parks, 2 commercial parks, 4 state parks, 2 federal parks, 3 COE parks - and 1 RV shop. :)

Our only serious problem was a failure of the tow setup on our toad. We had to replace both the baseplates and tow bar, but thankfully there was no other serious damage. I think the installation was not correct, but in any case I see it as partly my fault for not getting underneath and checking the baseplate attachments. Take it as a lesson from me: we should all do that occasionally, especially when the installation is "new".

We've had a great time. It's so fun, sometimes it almost seems like a dream. We're learning our "travel style" as well. At first we were doing basically 2-2-2, but we've since agreed we'd generally rather travel a bit farther and then stay longer. Pulling up roots every 2 days just isn't very restful for us. We'd rather stay 4 to 7 days. By 9 or 10 days we're starting to get itchy. Our current stay, at Rainbow Plantation, has been our longest at 12 nights and that's plenty.

So far, we've liked the COE parks the best of all. They're super-cheap with the Senior Pass, quiet, beautiful, and have lots of birds.

I decided I needed a new acoustic guitar, so we went on a "quest" to Nashville and some other places in Tennessee to go guitar shopping., That was a blast! And yes, I found a beautiful guitar, after looking at hundreds. There are a LOT of guitars in Nashville! We also stopped at the Songbirds Guitar Museum in Chattanooga, which is a must-see for anyone interested in guitars.

Along the way we stopped in for a visit with three different friends that we haven't seen in 20 or 30 years. A real plus for being able to travel freely.

We also completed our last "set up" task by establishing a relationship with our new doctor in Pensacola. We were both really happy with him, and he was just fine with our itinerant lifestyle. Whew, that was a load off, I was dreading that turning into a wrestling match.

Tomorrow we're headed to another COE park near Meridian, Mississippi for a week, then to another near Memphis for a week. While there we want to visit some blues places in Clarksdale, Mississippi, and also the Gibson factory in Memphis. After that it's off to Land Between the Lakes for a week, with a visit to the American Quilt Museum. Then we head to a Bluebird mechanic to get our inverter replaced. Then we'll be able to boondock! Can't wait! :)

Safe travels, everyone.

Edited by Gannet

1994 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB40

Full-timers since 2016, domiciled in Crestview, Florida

• 2 weeks later...

happy belated anniversary! sounds like you are having a great time.

we are currently in the singing hills campground outside of Mammoth Cave National Park- we leave on Thursday and head back up to Elkhart. we have a few more things to sell and move a few bins from our friends barn to our nieces basement. 

staying a few days at our friends, the elkhart county fairgrounds, warranty repairs and then the elkhart campground from June 11th to July 11th. that should give us plenty of time to get everything done. 

we are also planning on a trip to South Dakota to get our driver's license and finalize our domicile address 

we are scheduled to be in SoCal to visit my family in October so I have a lot of planning to do. 

looking forward to the travels

take care

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

My adventure began the first part of October, 2016.  Traveled in areas I'd been before and many new locations, meeting new folks, learning how things work (and don't work).  Spent 4 months in AZ for the winter, then in and around California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.  Warranty work on my truck just got pushed back a week, so will spend a little more time here in NE WA, then head for ID, MT, WY and SD (in no particular order).  Top of the list of things I learned.....DO NOT head north out of AZ in March!   I was either sitting out storms or running from them! 

After finishing the things that have to be done, my travel style will most likely slow down to a month here and there with weekly/nightly stays in between.  Not sure about this coming winter....

Safe travels everyone!

My wife and I retired end of July, 2016. We sold our home in Asheville NC and moved to our property in Pence Springs WVa on the Greenbriar River in our 2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3, towed by our 2016 Ram 3500 Dually with Cummins, Aisin tranny, rear air assist and 4.10... All has been pretty good. We just purchased 8 tenths of an acre at the Texas Preserve in Cleveland TX and are here now while developing our property.. spring, summer early fall in WV and late fall and winter in TX. Will travel and visit from these two locations.  May move our residence to here but are weighing all the cost versus cost of taxes, auto/RV insurance, etc...We also have two older boxers.

Jim & Kathy

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

We love our 5er.. TONS of storage space with my wife and I and our two older Boxers.. We had some issues with front landing gears, but fixed now.. been fulltiming since Aug 24 of last year. Have stayed in WVA, TX  and points  in between. Had thought about going bigger, but it really wasn't necessary.. this is all my wife and I need .. Any oythrr questions, let me know.

Jim

Edited by NC Hauler

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

we are currently at the Elkhart Campground- got some of the warranty work done last week. we went camping with our Good Time Sams club to Tippecanoe State Park near Winamac, IN. we had a great time. it was good to see everyone after 8 months. 

this week we will catch up on w**k and drs. appts. tonight is my KofC meeting. next week tues and wed we go back to the shop to hopefully get the repairs completed. 

we are leaving on July 11th for SD and California. 

take care!!

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

• 1 month later...

Been awful quiet in the Class of 16....everyone must be out and about having a good time!?

I spent most of June & July in Montana and now back in NE Washington, but leaving for MT,

WY and SD on Monday.  One rather large mishap....at a park in Kalispell a tree branch, approx. 12' x 6"

came down like a missile and crashed the hood/fender of my truck.  Rather unnerving! 

Did visit the National Bison Range, very worth while - 60-70+ Bison, Mule Deer bucks, Elk, Pronghorn, coyote, and just missed

seeing a bear.  One thing I've learned is plans are just ideas....what really happens is reality!  Safe travels.

good t hear your OK- 

we have been in Elkhart the last 2 months and will be leaving on Aug 12th for our trip to SD. we only planned on staying 1 month but Tessa dog got sick and the warranty work took a little longer. 

we have been enjoying out time here seeing friends and family. 

I totally agree with "One thing I've learned is plans are just ideas....what really happens is reality!" wow that is so true.

take care 

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

Rav,

Where did you purchase your Bighorn?

Hope the warranty repairs did not take two months?

I appreciated your point that plans are just ideas. Suppose a big part of the RV lifestyle is developing the habit of just letting them come as they will and make adjustments.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Just passed the 1 year mark FT in rig since 7/12/16. Left Maine last September and slowly ambled down the east coast to FL where we spent a few days doing some business, then headed west to TX for most of November. Made it to Tucson area in early December and stayed there with some Maine friends for much of the winter, with some repairs and side excursions to Tucson, Quartzsite, Cottonwood, Jerome, Sedona, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, and Congress AZ at the Escapee park for a week. Got back to Maine May 1st which was cold and wet for most of the month, but having a beautiful summer here in a seasonal spot. Will head out late Oct with destination AZ again where a seasonal planned from Dec-March. Other than a Norcold failure which was 6 weeks fixing, things with the coach have been good. Spent 130 nights in Thousand trails system on our membership so that has worked well and will be a cost savings going forward. Renewed the Passport America as well but not KOA (just didn't see the value in KOA membership - minimal discounts on overpriced fees IMHO). Found our Good Sam Gold extended service/warranty plan very worthwhile and having glass coverage on insurance also paid off as we needed a new windshield at $3550.

Cheers,

Don

It has been a busy summer. Lol Made lots of plans that turned out to be just idea's. We ended up down sizing, I had a couple of medical scares and still nursing a reinjured shoulder from a fall last winter. 

We are currently sitting here in Livingston Volunteering at the Care Center, it is 2 fold beneficial. We get the down time for the month and we get to help a wonderful group of people. I cant say enough good things about the care center and the residents. <3

We are looking forward to the International Balloon Fiesta with escapees in October, then off to southern Texas for a sandy beach winter. :)

2014 Newmar Ventana

2016 Buick Enclave

We purchased it from Gauthier's in Lafayette, LA. Very nice and knowledgeable sales department- see Derek if you go there

The warranty work was only for about 5 days spread over the 2 months. We are going back to the factory on Wednesday. The shop they sent us too was terrible and the factory needs to correct several items.  All is good now and will be better come Wednesday.

The major reason we stayed was Tessa dog got diagnosed with bone cancer which rare for a dog of her size. We were going to get her toe removed last week but the cancer spread to the knuckle so we decided per the vet not to have it removed.  He said at this point it won’t matter and all we can do is manage the pain. She is doing really good, we found a product called hemp and hips and it seems to really help with the pain and mobility, so much so we are giving to our other dog Mattie. Both are 10+ years old.  We also have a pain pill we give her after breakfast.

hope I didn't bum anyone out - other than that we are doing great and can't wait to get on the road!! 

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

• 4 weeks later...

we just signed up for the Escapade. 

currently we are in Eldora, Iowa at the Pine Lake State Park for the Labor Day weekend. 

when we arrived yesterday the tree branches were hanging down about 8 feet off the ground. I called the park office and the ranger came out and trimmed the tree so we could get into the site. he was really nice and friendly- mentioned he needed to do this for some time.

today the park will fill up- feels good to be at a state park

take care and I hope everyone is safe

Steve 

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

Spent the past 2 weeks in South Dakota, and will stay until after Labor Day.  What a surprise to me, I love South Dakota!!  Did not realize what a beautiful area with so much to do.  Custer State Park is my kinda place, the towns of Custer and Hot Springs are small enough to be 'stress less'.  Staying at a park 4 miles from Custer in the country - no lights, no noise, no trains.  Life is good.

Still deciding the route back thru Wyoming.  Fall is in the air and starting next week temps here in SD will be dropping into the 40's.  Days are still wonderful but want to stay ahead of the change. 

Good travels.  Looking forward to being in one place for winter....in AZ.  No plowing, no shoveling and no icy roads!  Yay!