What did you do to your bus today?

Liberty

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it was actually yesterday. but first let me just say never ever for any reason allow your diesel genset run out of gas. Just sayin'. I now know how to bleed the air fron the injector lines. I had the concept but not real experience. That is not something for a resume'. We had gone in the toad up to Topeka, KS to buy Jake Brakes for the 8V71 and left the generator running for the 2 roof air units as the weather has been in the 100s this week here in the Wichita area. Today I mounted the pilots new seat. We had stopped in Carthage MO at Colaw's rv salvage to shop new furniture. Only found matching front seats but they are way bettter that before.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

Guest David & Lorna Schinske

Two weeks to go... working on plumbing today, hanging tanks, putting in vents, etc.

:P :P :P :P

Paint, paint, paint..... I ordered a sandblaster yesterday! It will take about a week to get here. Then I get to blast the peeling paint off the bus and.... paint, paint, paint!

I can't wait to see the finished rig. Are you going to paint it like your food cart?

No. We don't need the bus to attract attention like the food cart. It will be Turquoise Bay (body), white roof (roof coating) and the rub rails, chromed/aluminum trim will all be Rustoleum Hammered Copper. I've been painting "copper" for a week solid now. All the lights have been pulled, cleaned, sanded and now are being painted (2 to 3 coats hammered copper with "chrome" in the light bulb areas to reflect the light out better). I still have to pull the overhead signal covers off the front to paint in the copper. As well as the mirrors. I pulled the last of the aluminum trim today. Tomorrow I will clean/prep/paint it. I should start sand blasting next week and get the roof coated. After that, I will start the body paint... before we change the colour YET AGAIN!!!! But that will probably be the last colour change. David picked the exterior colour this last time and he doesn't change his mind as easily as I do. Although I have had the interior colours picked out for quite some time now.

Two weeks to go... working on plumbing today, hanging tanks, putting in vents, etc.

4300 miles on the road...front & rear road A/C and both roof units work perfectly. Averaged 10.4MPG, no mechanical problems.

The Honda Eu3000 genset ran perfectly, even powering both A/C units in five days of 100-degree heat,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John (and occasionally my wife Liz)

Former rigs: 1976 Holiday TT, 1984 Ford B-700 school bus

Current rig: 1993 International Genesis FE school bus conversion.

No. We don't need the bus to attract attention like the food cart. It will be Turquoise Bay (body), white roof (roof coating) and the rub rails, chromed/aluminum trim will all be Rustoleum Hammered Copper. I've been painting "copper" for a week solid now. All the lights have been pulled, cleaned, sanded and now are being painted (2 to 3 coats hammered copper with "chrome" in the light bulb areas to reflect the light out better). I still have to pull the overhead signal covers off the front to paint in the copper. As well as the mirrors. I pulled the last of the aluminum trim today. Tomorrow I will clean/prep/paint it. I should start sand blasting next week and get the roof coated. After that, I will start the body paint... before we change the colour YET AGAIN!!!! But that will probably be the last colour change. David picked the exterior colour this last time and he doesn't change his mind as easily as I do. Although I have had the interior colours picked out for quite some time now.

That sounds gorgeous!

That sounds gorgeous!

Thanks. I found out today that the sandblasting gizmo will be here Thursday (I've got a new toy!). I guess we will buy sand this weekend, haul the air compressor that we kept (it will be mounted under the bus) out of the shed and start stripping. I need to sandblast some of the headlight parts too. I figure now is the time to fix all that stuff rather than wait until we're in the middle of nowhere in a rain storm and have something (or several somethings) crap out on us. And then I get to paint some more... paint, paint, paint. Once I get the paint on the exterior, I'll have to take a good pic and make it my avatar. Tomorrow I won't be painting (yea!). Tomorrow is my day to "sling dogs". In other words, I'm working the cart on the street tomorrow to give David a break. The meds are really dragging him down so I'm working on Wednesdays now. David will work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday while I work on the bus... painting... among other things.

That copper sure does look shiny in the sunlight!

Sounds great Lorna!

I was going to do some touchups today but the rain blew that plan out. Mostly spent the day loading and doing inside work like a coat rack and laying runner rugs. Still can't get the temp gage to work. grrr Three days to go!

Kind regards

~Laughter is as essential as the air we breathe~

... I was going to do some touchups today but the rain blew that plan out...

You have RAIN!!! Lucky you! All we have is wind, dust and smoke. Tomorrow I will work on getting the front painted (and the Driver's side mirrors). Hopefully by Friday I will be able to post a pic of the fully painted front. Picked up the Hammered Black to paint the bumper with yesterday. Tomorrow I paint, paint, paint....

I didn't get as far as I wanted. I got run out of the bus because it hit over 100F (102F @2:30PM). Been putting trim back on. Still need to get all the lights back up. I have to make new gaskets and that is something I can work on inside the air conditioned Class C. This is as far as I got today.....

BusPaintFront4side.jpg

The side is just painted enough to see how the rub rails are going to look (bottom rub rail will be painted Hammered Black like the bumper and the middle section of the rub rails).

Began resealing the shower stall. Then wen shopping for new panels for the corner. After looking in 2 big box stors we decided that dinner was in order and we found a Carinos. At supper we said lets just wait till fall to change it and for now just seal it and be good. Thinking about glass tiles. Time will tell.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

... At supper we said lets just wait till fall to change it and for now just seal it and be good...

It will be cooler then too. If you do a good job of sealing it, you may be able to put the job off until next spring! ;)

Lorna how bad is the smoke there in central NM? My cousin in T or C says they have enough and jokes about needing to rent a boat and sit in the middle of Elp. Butte Lake to be out of harms way.

Cooler now That is true. Sitting in Colo. Springs till mid July then up the hill for some lower temps. We do like high temps. just not blood boiling ones. we are good up to about 95 and only down to about 65 or so.

The whole thing was only a project to keep me busy. Not needed at all. I was just going to pull off the old caulk and redo it. Then while standing in the shower I thought 'that corner shelf thing is in the way', so off it came. the fiberglass has turned darker in the shower than under the shelf AND some of the holding power was Construction adhisive. so it does not come off like the big gobs of clear silicone does.ALL that said it is not about what will work but we be stylin' now. The shower stall is a 5 sided house unit and is Gold. we would prefer silve and it may

all come out and get painted an auto platinum silver color when we tile the walls. This fall we will be back in KS on our acre called 'The Landing' Where eagles land for a sit. Our new 30 x 50 - 16' side wall building just got finished yesterday. working there will be better than in an rv park full of tourists.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

Lorna how bad is the smoke there in central NM?

Smoke isn't really terrible. Not as bad as it was a few years back down in S GA. Seems there are a few fires in the Bosque del Apache (was in paper yesterday). Ever try painting when it's 100F? What a PITA! I'll be glad when it starts cooling. And then I will be complaining how cold it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just spent 6 hours on the roof of our bus cleaning then rolling SolarFlex on the roof. One coat down, two to go.... far to bright already... good thing I was wearing my cheap sunglasses B) . Luckily it was a cool 94F today when I climbed off the roof. The remaining coats I can do standing on the ladder and using an extension pole (no patching seams required). I'm getting too old to climb up on the roof using a ladder that is 4 ft too short! And now I have a sunburn! :angry: But the temps inside the bus have sure dropped! Tomorrow is another day and another coat of Solarflex!

I was walking to my shed for the porch broom & whacked my head on the mirror. Ouch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John (and occasionally my wife Liz)

Former rigs: 1976 Holiday TT, 1984 Ford B-700 school bus

Current rig: 1993 International Genesis FE school bus conversion.

I was walking to my shed for the porch broom & whacked my head on the mirror. Ouch.

That's what you get for ignoring your bus! :D

Archived