What did you do to your bus today?

Liberty

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The generator is fixed, AGAIN.
I put on a new solenoid so the gear would kick out. then we put in a new battery and YEA it started. This is the 3rd battery since Jan 0f '11. The first new one they did not take off the date dotes so when we could not find the receipt they made us buy the next on in Oct same year. then this one the store did not have one just like it so I would have had to buy one from him and take the old one back to Caballo, NM for a refund. the same place that would not warranty it in Oct. so I told the guy I will do something diff.

I picked up the old battery and went to Walmart. The new battery was 1/2 price of the Interstate battery at NAPA.

I now have zero confidence in Interstate Batteries and the dealer system.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

We have moved Liberty to 8200' of elevation and woke up to 49 degrees. now that is the way to start the day. In the past few days we have done 5 passes all at approx. 9500' and above. I can draw a crowd on some but others I am just one of a bunch of folks blowing smoke.

AND on the Generator thing. It does run BUT the squirrel cage fan that pulls in the cooling air is not running now so will have to make my way into that 'black' hole to see what is up. I am thinking this is a left over from the power issue from the ice storm. since I have had to replace the starter solenoid and the battery both were just a year old.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the monitor stands built and the keyboard drawers done. I wanted a stand that was adjustable and also sturdy enough to not bounce. These are much more stable than any I had found, and much lexs expensive.

web_computer_monitor_stand_4266_zps20ffa

Monitor mounted

web_computer_desk_4274_zpsb180a387.jpg

There will be two of these

web_computer_desk_4273_zpsec398630.jpg

This wasn't the original plan. Everything was going to be on the desk. But, since it is mounted over the front wheel well, it would have been uncomfortable sitting at the computers for any length of time. I like this even better, plenty of leg room while working and the keyboard and mouse can stay here while traveling. That had been a problem in the past in the setup I had in the trailer. There will eventually be a door in front of the keyboard drawers that folds down, That is the kind of extras that will come in phase II. Mumsywumsy says we need a shower before she will go anywhere. :roll:Now, I guess I'll also have to get that second computer looked at, It died sometime at the last event. I haven't quite figured out a resting place for the monitor for computer three. Probably on wall above this one, I only have to see it once in a while, and then just to hit an enter key.

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

• 3 weeks later...

I finished up the hitch today. I'll either have to move "stuff" or move the bus to try out hitching up the towd.

This is the bracing I put inside the bumper. Final version changed a little. I had to cut notches in the brace to clear air conditioning pulleys.

web_hitch1_4303_zps7c0ec018.jpg

It still gave a little, so I tied it into the lower engine mount. It doesn't give at all now.

web_hitch3_4312_zpsbee8dd69.jpg

Here is view of everything installed.

web_hitch2_4310_zps3c17bec7.jpg

Putting the pin in is a little tricky, but can be done from above or below. Not with the engine running though. :lol:

I couldn't get any usable pictures that showed the inside when mounted.

Dick

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from OKC where I spent the morning in the service pit of Jefferson Trailer and Bus helping pull the air assist power steering off of an Eagle model 10. Lots of pictures and now to get it swapped onto Liberty. Just a few holes and some work. but the first thing will be to get the current drag link off the bus. IT took heat and a big pickle fork on a big 'rivet' gun.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

Just back from OKC where I spent the morning in the service pit of Jefferson Trailer and Bus helping pull the air assist power steering off of an Eagle model 10. Lots of pictures and now to get it swapped onto Liberty. Just a few holes and some work. but the first thing will be to get the current drag link off the bus. IT took heat and a big pickle fork on a big 'rivet' gun.

Well it has been a long day but the drag link is off Liberty. WOW what a task. Ended up getting a torch and heating the pitman arms and more force. Need to add a frame member to hold the cylinder end but it no step for a stepper.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

Just finished the air assist power steering.

When I was just finishing I had to turn the wheels to the left some to get up to the upper bolts to add some washers. IT was very hard to turn. Then when I was done I fired up Liberty and when I had air I could turn the wheel with ease. I am sure this is going to be a very enjoyable addition to our travels. Like cross winds and baking into parking spots.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been pondering on how to actually plumb in the in floor heat. I had everything, just wanted to make sure I had thought of all the possibilities. The bedroom is in, filled, bled,and test fire done. No leaks and it got hot in there. "Course it's almost 80 here, but it did get hotter. Here's the plumbing. The aluminum plates did heat up quite a bit. The cleats are just to hold things down a bit until I lay the floor. I still have to cut and lay the insulation on the left. One of the things that was holding things up was, I needed some way to make the curves without kinking. None of the commercial things were quite what I needed, or were way too expensive. These wooden ones work quite well.

web_bedroom_heat_plumbing_4454_zps640273

Since I'm not at all sure all of this will actually work, I also put in a hot water heater with a fan. Even if the floor don't heat the room, it will be warm and I can run around in my bare feet. :D

Here's a picture of the heater assy.

web_bedroom_heater_2_4456_zps0b7f8e04.jp

That looks great!

It isn't trimmed out yet, but here's a view of the computer desk. Still a lot of work to do, but this is one of those aaaaah moments when it actually looks like I'm getting something done.

web_computer-desk1_4259_zps0b601358.jpg

Dick

We use the passenger seat as the Weapons Station (friend's name for our computer desk). Like a lot of older coaches, there was a big tube TV on the floor between the seats up front. Took it out and use it to house the CPU and all in one printer. 20" flat panel monitor sits on the dash.

Today I installed a shelf on drawer slides so I can easily access the back. Will put in another shelf on drawer slides for the all in one printer in the next few days. Still need a good plan for cable management issues. Eventually will reupholster it and add a door. Someday the monitor will swing down like a sun visor...

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, we finished winterizing our water system. I blew out the waterlines, disconnected and put a bypass fitting in the Aqua Hot lines and then blew RV antifreeze into the Aqua Hot itself.

Last week, we did a COMPLETE brake job on the tag axle. New drums, lining blocks, bearings and updated it to Automatic Slack Adjusters. We started on Monday and I FINALLY got the tires back on Saturday. it took all week because we got the wrong parts from MCI. Our tag has 6 X 14.5 brakes rather than the 5 X 14.5 that comes standard on them. Plus, the weather had some negative influence on the project.

Two (or three) weeks ago, I took it to ABC bus and had them pull the differential to change the flange gasket. I can no longer handle that kind of weight, especially laying on my back, even with a floor jack. (This aging process sucks!)

I've got all of the parts (I think) to do the steer axle, but I don't know that the weather (and business workload) will permit it yet this year. I was hoping to get both the steering and tags done this year and then do the drives next spring. Oh well, so much for hopes and plans.

Butch and Fonda

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

Today I used the air hose and blew the crud off the carpet in the drivers area, step cover and the steps.

Must be getting ready to travel south and southwest.

So looking forward to hitting the road. We have been sitting still, doing the fall bus chores and lot cleanup. I have been scratching hitch itch for the past month.

Sunday after church and lunch with the daughter and family we are off.

This will be a near repeat of the fall of 2010. stopping at some friends in OK who used to be our neighbors in the '80s, then on down the road to see Paul and Becky in Abilene, from there down to visit our son at San Angelo where he is learning to be a platoon Sgt. after several years in Special Forces from there to Truth or Consequences to both visit family AND soak in the hit springs. Then on to Tucson for the winter.

Time will tell but we have applied for a summer job for next summer.

Safe Travels

LeRoy

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

• 2 weeks later...

Took apart fridge to winterize it...no need to use a fridge when it's below 30 outside :P wiped down, water gone and aired out, I keep the doors cracked

2013-11-02150646_zps5776a2e6.jpg

2013-11-02150535_zps86b5847a.jpg

this just lets me clean it good and make sure no standing water than can freeze

19K Troop L, 3/3 ACR

• 1 month later...

Hi! Back to play in the bus thread! :D

Since I last posted, we haven't done a lot to the bus. New tires all around and some other basic maintenance. Probably the biggest thing was taking out the jack knife sofa and replacing it with some comfortable movie watching chairs.

Restrung a pleated day/night shade yesterday. Gonna exercise that one for a few days before doing the rest. The Internet suggestion to use fishing line didn't work for me. Wasn't big enough to engage the holding mechanism. Had to redo it with nylon mason's string. Reused the old plastic pulls but will be on the lookout for something unique to replace them.

Safe travels and Happy New Year!

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

Archived