HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

Noticed a fuel smell in Denali, and saw a dribble on the ground order the rear of the motor. Uh-oh.....

Pulled into Fairbanks to meet with the Church's and fuel is pouring out of the front of the high pressure fuel pump. Fortunately, Kenworth Alaska had a re-man pump in stock, so $980 later we are not marking our spot. Will the hemorrhaging of my wallet never end? $5500 in repairs so far on this trip.

But, we got to spend some quality time with Janet and Raymond. We've met so many nice folks through this forum.

Tomorrow, we need to find out why our trailer brakes aren't working, then begin the trip back to Indiana. The gravitational pull of the grand kids has grown to a force greater than that of a black hole. Grandma needs to get back, but so does grandpa.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed a fuel smell in Denali, and saw a dribble on the ground........... $5500 in repairs so far on this trip.

<snip>

Tomorrow, we need to find out why our trailer brakes aren't working, then begin the trip back to Indiana.

Rick - sorry to hear about the repairs and your total cost for the Alaska trip. I know that hurts. But, it is like Jack said - better have a pool of $$ for repairs when we put one of these trucks on the road. It is not just a HDT though. One member our our group forked out $4,000 and change for a transmission rebuild on a PU dually after crossing the Big Horn in SD. Another about $3,600 on fuel injectors for just one side of a V8. At least stuff on our trucks is (usually) easier to get to and (often) readily available. On a diesel PU you can't even see the engine for all the stuff covering it.

We are now in Munising, Michigan, on Lake Superior. It is beautiful and very cool. Tomorrow we head for Mackinaw for three nights and will go out to the island.

Safe travels to all.

Edited by RandyA

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Another thing about our trucks, Randy, as compared to a pickup.....once you fix it, it is fixed for the rest of your life....you are not going to have to go back and buy another one, or fix it again.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Speaking of fixing trucks, anybody have a good suggestion where to take mine near Kansas City? Need to get my A/C slow leak fixed.

I take mine to Northland Truck Service

7731 East Front Street

Kansas City, Mo

816 483 7790

They are not the cheapest, however they do great work. I have known them for 20 years or so. Tell them Rick Jennings sent you. Dave Morris is the owner, his sons run it now most of the time. Ask for Wes Morris oldest son.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Pulled into Glenwood Canyon Resort a couple of miles East of Glenwood Springs Colorado. They have 16 sites that are 70 feet, all back ins but road is wide so easy to get your rig in and wide enough can keep HDT and Smart at the site.. Sites are gravel and not the level-est but then I have been in much worse as well. Should be here tell Monday July 28th and if I can find a place to stay off to Moab Utah next.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Made it to Ft. Nelson, BC today. Spent two days 210 miles north of Whitehorse, Yukon, fixing a coolant fitting that had been improperly installed by a previous owner. Drove the smart 500 miles one day on a parts run, and spent another $500 for parts and labor, including a case of anti-freeze.

Btw, do you know how to make antifreeze? Hide her nightgown.

Saw two hdt's pulling 5ers north today in Yukon. Both were old Watkins trucks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

We are here in Cortez Colorado in the KOA and be here tell Monday August 4th. I rarely do KOA's as don't need the fluff but here I am Sundance in town did ntohave any openings.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

We are here in Cortez Colorado in the KOA and be here tell Monday August 4th. I rarely do KOA's as don't need the fluff but here I am Sundance in town did ntohave any openings.

If you have the time to take the San Juan loop, it's well worth it in my opinion. A stop at the Silverton mine was enjoyable as well as some treks off the beaten path up some of the mountain roads. I was on my 1982 Honda Goldwing for most of those rides and other than fjording a stream that was deeper than I expected and waking up one morning with frost on the bike (when it had been 90+ the day before). I worked in Gallup and made at least 8 trips around the loop with either my pickup, motorcycle or the new 1994 Dodge Caravan (I purchased while in Gallup). I saw something new on each outing.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Left Shipshewana this morning. Now just a few miles down the road at the Elkhart County Fairgrounds (IN). Met a "new" HDT owner in Shipshewana. Red Volvo like Charlie and Sandra's but singled with a smart. I think he told me Gregg made the bed and drom. His name is Bob but he doesn't visit this forum. Maybe he will now? The heat is back on - wishing for a little of the cool weather from the Upper Peninsula we experienced. We did get to visit Bontrager's Surplus yesterday. It is my kind of candy store. If one were going to build living quarters on the back of their HDT you could find most everything you need there.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We're just south of Bigfork, MT at our daughter's house, probably until after Labor Day. Lots of things to fix on a new-to-her house! Can't beat a private campsite in the Swan-Seeley Valley. Anyone traveling through Kalispell or West Glacier -- give us a call. We JUST missed the Quinns on their way through.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

We are in Rio Chama RV Park in Chama, NM.

This is our 9th year in a row in this park.

Management is very friendly and there is a great bunch of Texans who spend two or months here each year.

Right next to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railway.

Hight today was 76.

ShortyO

Pulled in here at the house mid afternoon. Volvo di what it was supposed to for the last 3000 miles. Engine still has a miss when hot, under load. I will be having a discussion with Cummins about this. Six and a half lost days, $2500+ in repairs, $250-$300 in lost fuel. and all they fixed was a slight oil leak.

But it still was a great trip. 44 days on the road, not one cross word between me and my bride of 40 years and 8 days, and lots of memories. I'll do a write-up when we get settled in......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Wendover, UT for Bonneville Speed Week (after speeding a few weeks in Yellowstone) but it was cancelled so we went to Bryce Canyon, UT. Here till Saturday then off to McCall, ID.

2006 Peterbilt 387 - aka "Pete"
2012 Custom 53' 5th Wheel - aka "Moya"

2012 Honda CBR1000RR

2009 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod Special

2013 Subaru WRX

cd084.jpg

Fulltimers. Follow us at: http://blacktop4.com

Made it to McCall, ID yesterday (McCall RV Resort).

GPS's got luv em!! So Saturday evening in Twin Falls, ID my GPS decided to take us on a back road 20minute zig zag from the gas station to the local Walmart (needed some supplies, and yes we were able to find our rig in the parking lot) which would have only take 5 minutes if I had only ignored her (the GPS) and taken the interstate.

So we are passing through Boise, ID and I see the sign for McCall but the GPS is telling me to continue on down the road, "not this time" I tell the wife!!! And we head off through Boise. After navigating all the traffic and a stop for lunch and at a Walgreens so the wife could get her Antipsychotic medication eye drops we finally make it to the 55..... and a sign saying that the road is restricted.. Max length 61' (single trailer config) something to do with a hairpin turn. Crap!!!! Ok GPS you win, so a 180 and back through Boise to the 84 (all in all adding an extra 1.5hr to our trip) then west bound to the 95. Doesn't end there, on the 95 heading north and there are signs posted stating that trailers over 48' require a permit! Not having a fun day!! "yes officer, I do have a permit it's in my other pants let me go get it for you" "Taxi!!!"

Anyway made it to McCall, beautiful place. Will hang out here till Saturday before heading to Castle Rock, WA.

edit: probalbly should have mentioned that all hooked up we are around the 74' mark.

Edited by cd084

2006 Peterbilt 387 - aka "Pete"
2012 Custom 53' 5th Wheel - aka "Moya"

2012 Honda CBR1000RR

2009 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod Special

2013 Subaru WRX

cd084.jpg

Fulltimers. Follow us at: http://blacktop4.com

it is for exactly this reason that I have 3 GPS apps on my phone and tablet and preplan routes based on how well they agree with each other. For instance, it had me coming up US101 through FLorence, OR but routed me 23 miles east of the bay instead of just going across the bridge over the river. The other two said "just use the bridge, dummy". The 3rd one (copilot Truck) would not use the bridge even when I put a waypoint right at the onramp.

I never did figure out what that was all about but a later update fixed the problem.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Parked in Rochester MN for a couple of months, enjoying the Minnesota summer weather! Now I have time to gradually make repairs and upgrades to my new 2000 VNL770, getting it ready for a long haul south to warmer climes for the winter. Looking forward to using up all the old diesel fuel in the tanks and refilling with fresh stuff! Hutchinson in October is possible, but not sure yet.

Pete and Kim

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Will be at Candy Hill campground in Winchester, VA for a week starting 9/6/14. Wave & Honk or stop in..

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

We are at Goodlow British Columbia at the only RV park/gas station/convenience store/post office/liquor store/cafe

Working in the area and should be here for the best part of September.

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Time has gotten away from me and I haven't posted in quite a while; but, here is our current location: Janet and I are overnighting in Lincoln Road RV Park, Helena, MT, on the way to Yellowstone NP. We plan to be in Yellowstone NP for six nights!

Previously, we were in Columbia Falls RV Park (near West Glacier NP) for a couple of nights. We toured Going-to-the-Sun Road (Eastbound) as far as Logan Pass. It was very scenic drive on a clear, sunny day with balmy temperatures in the higher altitudes. Actually, I was happy to be in the smart, since the roadway is narrow--very narrow in more than a few places. The roadway climbs from about 3k feet elevation to about 6.6k feet at Logan Pass. [i noted on the way up that the smart wanted to run in 2nd gear; so, for the downhill trip, I manually shifted to 2nd gear and all was well with the smart maintaining ~35mph. I did have to lightly apply braking in a couple of places though.]

Then, we moved to St Mary KOA Campground in St Mary, MT, for a couple of nights. We toured Going-to-the-Sun Road (Westbound) as far as Logan Pass, to complete the tour of the entire road. Although the day was one of nearly constant downpours, the sun did show itself a few times; however, the mountain peaks were completely enshrouded in clouds. The eastern side of the GTTS Road is not paved as well as the western side; and, with the rain and construction work on the roadway, every part of our smart was caked with a clay-sand grime! The drive is scenic, but but shorter and very different from the western side.

Raymond (G8r.Ray; i.e., Gator Ray) & Janet
Grinnin' ear-to-ear, since 2012-03-14

2005 Volvo 630 Motor Coach,

VE D12 465hp/1650lb-ft, 12 sp FreedomLine (2-Peddle),
217in WB, smart car deck/bed by Toterman, Pressure Pro,
PowerTank, Crossfire (dual tire pressure equilizer)

2006 smart forTwo Passion (450, Gen I), Ruby Red/Silver
2008 smart forTwo Passion (451, Gen II), Blue/Black
2009 DRV Mobile Suites 36RS3