HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

WOW, God Bless Them!   That is wonderful to still have your folks on the farm.   We (Raymond and I) will arrive Bellingham RV Park 8 September for a week.    IF you need some help, I'd love to come out and help.    We are currently in Tok, Alaska and will begin heading South tomorrow.    Still hoping to catch the Aurora Borealis the next couple of nights before we get down to some serious moving South.   LOL     My personal email is:   Jags1fan@gmail.com    Let me know if you want some free help.

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, wtgeodog said:

Sitting at S&B in Midland, TX until we leave for Hutch.

I bought an ET Jr. for delivery at the rally.

I hope to be able to draft enough help to put it on my Toter.

Here is the truck when looking for help at the rally. 

Open your hood

grab a fist full of tools

grab a greasy red rag

look under your hood

before you can look back up, most likely there will be multiple on lookers  willing to help  

however some will only want to offer advise, but you'll have plenty to help

that is unless it's at meal time, happy hour  or bedtime

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, Rick & Alana said:

Here is the trick when looking for help at the rally.

Works the same way at an old bike rally.  Bonus points if you kneel with a flashlight...................:P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 8/14/2017 at 3:40 PM, BlueLghtning said:

I can finally jump in on this thread.

We left Peachtree City, GA yesterday on Sunday and drove around Atlanta on 285 up 75 to 24 past Chatanooga. We took Hwy 27 & hwy 127 to I-40 and are staying at Davy Crocket CG. For future reference W16 is a great spot for an HDT with plenty of room to back in. W15 is very narrow so skip that one. I haven't got a chance to walk around to look at others.

In a couple days we will be headed to Shoshoni, WY to watch the Eclipse so we'll doing a long cross country repositioning.

We'll be in Silverton, CO at the end af August and then Taylor Park, CO after that. 

We ended up having to stay in TN longer than we had hoped which killed our plans for WY. We left TN on Friday, Aug 25th and made a 1500 mile drive to Silverton, CO over 3 days. That was a long haul, but the truck did great. Silverton of course is right in the middle of the Million Dollar Hwy (Hwy 550) between Durango & Ouray and is avoided by many RV'rs. I had driven and ridden it before, so I knew what to expect, but it was still a bit nerve racking. We came in from ABQ and made the drive north to Silverton. I was a little nervous about taking 550 being so new at this, but I took it slow and the truck did great. The downhills were a non issue with the jake brake and the right gear. I did find myself having to drop gears on climbs sometimes on steeper climbs with my manual, but I never missed a gear. I pulled over when I could to let faster traffic by although 550 has some pretty low speed limits.

Once we left Silverton, we headed to Taylor Park Resovoir where we are now and of course that meant going the rest of the way up 550 through Ouray, to Montrose, then hwy 50 East to Gunnison, where we grabbed Hwy 135 north to 742 to Taylor Park. I actually found Hwy 50 a bit more challenging in spots due to all the construction they are doing including one very bumpy gravel section and trying to slow the rig down when you notice the huge bumps they left on bridge transitions in several places. Since Cotton Wood Pass is closed to Buena Vista this year, our only way out of here is back to Gunnison and Hwy 50. We are probably going to stay somewhere East of Salida on Hwy 50 until it's time to head to the Rally in KS. 

received_1570697929618745-L.jpg

received_1570698062952065-L.jpg

received_1570698116285393-L.jpg

received_1570698232952048-L.jpg

received_1570698266285378-L.jpg

Edited by BlueLghtning

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

On 9/7/2017 at 3:58 PM, BlueLghtning said:

We ended up having to stay in TN longer than we had hoped which killed our plans for WY. We left TN on Friday, Aug 25th and made a 1500 mile drive to Silverton, CO over 3 days. That was a long haul, but the truck did great. Silverton of course is right in the middle of the Million Dollar Hwy (Hwy 550) between Durango & Ouray and is avoided by many RV'rs. I had driven and ridden it before, so I knew what to expect, but it was still a bit nerve racking. We came in from ABQ and made the drive north to Silverton. I was a little nervous about taking 550 being so new at this, but I took it slow and the truck did great. The downhills were a non issue with the jake brake and the right gear. I did find myself having to drop gears on climbs sometimes on steeper climbs with my manual, but I never missed a gear. I pulled over when I could to let faster traffic by although 550 has some pretty low speed limits.

Once we left Silverton, we headed to Taylor Park Resovoir where we are now and of course that meant going the rest of the way up 550 through Ouray, to Montrose, then hwy 50 East to Gunnison, where we grabbed Hwy 135 north to 742 to Taylor Park. I actually found Hwy 50 a bit more challenging in spots due to all the construction they are doing including one very bumpy gravel section and trying to slow the rig down when you notice the huge bumps they left on bridge transitions in several places. Since Cotton Wood Pass is closed to Buena Vista this year, our only way out of here is back to Gunnison and Hwy 50. We are probably going to stay somewhere East of Salida on Hwy 50 until it's time to head to the Rally in KS. 

received_1570697929618745-L.jpg

received_1570698062952065-L.jpg

received_1570698116285393-L.jpg

received_1570698232952048-L.jpg

received_1570698266285378-L.jpg

Loved going around the San Juan loop when I worked in Gallup several years ago. I probably rode or drove around it 6 or 7 times one summer and early Fall. I worked 7 on and 7 off night shift so I'd leave on my second day off and spend a couple nights somewhere along the loop before going back to work. Beautiful country. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, to everyone we told we were headed to TX, guess not now.  Goodwill had two slots they were taking in my CDL class they had given up, but took them back.  LOL.

It all worked out and I will be taking the CDL class now in FL, in ST Petersburg.  I’ll save a grand and get some diving and spearfishing in as well.  Can’t beat that.

Ill be able to get that 18 speed off the bucket list.

Ed

Edited by EdwardHall

We haven't travelled too far since the Rally. We left Hutch and headed down to Goddard just west of Witchita and stayed at Lake Afton for a couple days. Then we headed East to Parson's where we are now for a couple days before heading towards Arkansas next. 

We hit Byrd's in western Arkansas last November, great off-roading trails.

https://byrdsadventurecenter.com/4x4/

They have some huge sights along a grass runway that would fit the HDT's.

There is a place nearby called the Oark General store that has been in continuous operation for 100+ years nearby.  The Burgers are fantastic.

http://www.oarkgeneralstore.com/our-story.html

We also ran into Alie and Jim at the Cloud Nine Campground on that trip and got infected with the HDT.  We sure appreciated their willingness to share and explain the HDT option to us. Really nice folks.

Edited by Parrformance

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Fall migration time. Leaving Grande Prairie today, and with family check-ins, will probably cross into Montana Tuesday AM.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We pulled into Ozark View Campground in Omaha, AR yesterday which is south of Branson, MO & just north of Harrison, AR. Jim & Terri got here today also. There are some great motorcycling roads around here. This is a very nice family owned camground and the owner is very open to HDT's. I know @rickeieio has been here before with his HDT and @Mntom has been here also. 

Yes, we were there in late June, along with Paul and Paula, and of course Daisy.  

Nice peaceful place.  No kids running about and no golf carts.  Did I mention it's peaceful?

Try Charlie's Cafe for breakfast.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Delay of game. Pulled into Butte, MT last night, and found bent spring hangers. Sun is coming up, will see how bad the damage is then. I see a welder in my future.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Delay of game. Pulled into Butte, MT last night, and found bent spring hangers. Sun is coming up, will see how bad the damage is then. I see a welder in my future.

Good luck Darryl with your repairs!  

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Good news, everyone! Trailer is back on even footings, and we have another entry for the "Good Guys Shop". LaVelle Equipment Repair had us in, and out in 1 looong day of lifting, prying, and welding. I got to play along, as a helper. Dirty shop, gruff and grizzled workers, good work, good prices. We'll be on the road this Am, minor delays.

Please e-mail us here.

9 hours ago, Bob A said:

Heading to Davenport FL. On November. 1st or 2nd

I live in Lakeland, other side of Polk County.  The weather here is fantastic again.

55 degrees this morning with a high of 81 expected today.

I hope you have a safe trip.

Michael and Licia

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 10/30/2017 at 7:19 PM, Bob A said:

Thanks can't wait to get out of this rain hail wind and chance of snow,

Blew out of Bend this afternoon and raced a couple antelope ( dropped of cruise as they passed in front....on our way to overnight at the fairgrounds in Burns, OR.... Dolly-the-paint-horse loves to make a few laps on the race track...

Tomorrow hope to have enough parts and diesel to wonder over to Winnemueca the Lovelock, Fallon, and overnight at the Rodeo grounds at Hawthorne,NV....   

We only have THIRTY tires on the road this trip .......wonder if the air will stay in them for the hobble down to Last Chance Peak Dolly-the-paint-horse camp?

Drive on......(hay-burner in tow)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We're at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky with Paul & Paula, Spindrift and his bride, and another couple, enjoying a weekend of campfires and tall tales. Might find time for an adult beverage and a cigar too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Settled in for Snowbird season in Apache Junction, keeping an eye on Jim and Cathy's rig. All looks good, so far. Sooner or later, Vern will break free of the snow bank.

Please e-mail us here.