HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

i arrived this afternoon at Custer Gulch RV Park Custer South Dakota. Ran through rain and wet roads so truck and 5er look like !@$T%^##W% you know what I mean.

I pulled a dummy today that thankfully did not turn out bad. Going through Lead South Dakota I ran a stop sign that even had a overhead red flashing light. I was so intent on making a turn, watching highway number sign, paying attention to GPS, some overhead limbs, make sure was in right gear i just ran the thing. I was going slow so DW thought was going to stop but I did not; to late for her to say anything. I did cut-off a dude in a car and if I was him be royally ticked off and sure he was, I sure would have been. :(

Anyway here tell Thursday and hope to meet up with RandyA Tuesday or Wednesday night I will try to stop and see him in the RV park he is in. Then off to Valentine Nebraska.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spotted somebody w/b in Minnesota this afternoon. I was e/b so didn't get a great look. White Volvo, white Smart on deck, and white 5ver. Some nice swoopy graphics. Looked great. Wish I had been going the same direction so I coulda followed and bought you a soda at your next stop.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

That would have been us. Heading to western North Dakota on Thursday (National Park) for four days then off to Glacier National Park for a week then on to Washington and Oregon.

Gail & Bonnie Quinn (Full-timing since July 18, 2004)

2001 Volvo 610 autoshift (Ultimate V Rod) 465 HP, 1650 Torque, 3:42 gears with air locker, pictures of build can be seen @ http://community.web...theeskimogquinn

2010 New Horizons 45' custom Majestic, pictures of construction can be seen @ http://picasaweb.goo...com/gailquinn48

2003 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI, 100 HP, 118 Torque; Blog of 2007 Alaska trip @ http://quinntheeskim...nn.blogspot.com

2013 Smart Passion fortwo coupe

i arrived this afternoon at Custer Gulch RV Park Custer South Dakota. Ran through rain and wet roads so truck and 5er look like !@$T%^##W% you know what I mean.

I pulled a dummy today that thankfully did not turn out bad. Going through Lead South Dakota I ran a stop sign that even had a overhead red flashing light. I was so intent on making a turn, watching highway number sign, paying attention to GPS, some overhead limbs, make sure was in right gear i just ran the thing. I was going slow so DW thought was going to stop but I did not; to late for her to say anything. I did cut-off a dude in a car and if I was him be royally ticked off and sure he was, I sure would have been. :(

Anyway here tell Thursday and hope to meet up with RandyA Tuesday or Wednesday night I will try to stop and see him in the RV park he is in. Then off to Valentine Nebraska.

We are hear, Bob. Site 36. We have been gone during the day and coming back home dead tired around 5 p.m.. Was in Deadwood today and saw a HDT at Steel Wheel CG just out of Lead. Was wondering who? Been to Needles, Hill City, Custer, Crazy Horse, Rushmore and shops in between. Neat place - have taken over 300 photos..

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Saw a gen I Volvo with two motorcycles on the back parked at Steel Wheel Campground when coming out of Deadwood/Lead, SD yesterday. Is it one of us?

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

That would have been us. Heading to western North Dakota on Thursday (National Park) for four days then off to Glacier National Park for a week then on to Washington and Oregon.

Oh wow, did you see me waving? I was driving that silver Audi wagon, hahahaahahaah. Paula is bummed that you didn't let us know you were coming through. She would have come out to wave and buy you lunch as you drove by. Have a great trip. Rig looked cool. Way way better than all those delivery dodge 1 tons we see coming from Indiana.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

We are hear, Bob. Site 36. We have been gone during the day and coming back home dead tired around 5 p.m.. Was in Deadwood today and saw a HDT at Steel Wheel CG just out of Lead. Was wondering who? Been to Needles, Hill City, Custer, Crazy Horse, Rushmore and shops in between. Neat place - have taken over 300 photos..

Yep we found your site on Tuesday but nobody around as it should be; we was busy like you. Wanted to stop by again Wednesday but like you made a huge day of it and need to get back to Custer's Gulch as need to dump my tanks because they where full prior to us leaving today. We did take hundreds of pictures as well and 2 days is really not enough time to do the area justice. How did you like the thunderstorm last night? Next time will schedule a much longer stay. We did make Valentine Neb today staying at Fishberry Campground. No real amenities but has 90 foot long drive through sites and easily driving around no trees to snag you.

The only disappointment is not being able to connect up with you guys but I imagine we will cross paths again sometime in the future. :)

Edited by Bob Cochran

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Left the Little Bit Ranch yesterday without issue. Stayed last night at John Prince Park in Lantana, FL. Great park, was able to back into a spot with my trailer wheels still on the pad and the front of the truck right at the edge. The first spot they tried to send me to was about 3 foot too short. I do love the paved pads, no more tracking sand in every time I go in and out the door.

Waiting on my daughter to come pick me up for breakfast, and then off to the midwest. Hope to stop by to see Robert, Heidi and the brood on the way through.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Sorry Bob. I was hoping we could connect. Bummer.

We made it to Cody, WY this afternoon. It was quite a trip across US16 mountains (9,055 feet going up and then down).

BTW - I have been writing a travel Blog for our children and grandchildren back east. I have included a lot of photos. If anyone should care to see it click here .

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

We went from Cody to Custer basically reverse of you guys. Great drive loved it. Yep sooner or later will cross paths again, bound to happen. B)

On Edit: We did make Lynch Neb. and the RV park is still here. has 6 back in sites I think with water and power. If you need to dump station it has one but no site sewer. Bathrooms with showers and all this for $15.00 a night. I was here 11 years ago and at that time it was $7.00 a night and I told them you could double the price and still be cheap. Maybe they did!!! :D No cell signal unless you go South a mile or so to cemetery hill but this little park has wifi!!! B)3 of the sites I believe to be 70 foot based on my 67 foot length fit even after disconnecting from toy hauler. Oh also only has 30 amp service though.

Oh meet a couple here at Lynch who is from the Show Low Arizona area like use. Actually went to school with some of my family here as well. Small world and so hard to believe people you come across in our travels. ;)

Edited by Bob Cochran

Well we pulled into Vancouver WA, an RV sight we had hoped for was full...We called drove and looked around an no one had a place for 3 months. So we finally found a place for the 3 months in a MH park. Not the best but but only $300 per month +Electric.

An one else in Vancouver Portland area?

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

Kent

Yep, we're here and having the same issue. Mind telling us which Mobile home park you are in?

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

We are still in Premier RV Resorts in Lincoln City, OR so not close at the moment. Trying to stay until 8/20 but so far they can only spot us til 8/11. Devil's Lake RV park has sites better suited to HDTs (longer pull thrus) but this is a nice park. Still not sure what is next. We were going to McMinnville to see the Evergreen museum, Portland Zoo and Audubon Preserve but just can't get any weekend spots. Olde Stone Village was our first choice and there is another park about 7 miles east of Olde Stone Village that seems like it might work... if they have something open up. It's a bit tighter than OSV, though.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Got in a place today so our schedule looks like this...

Leaving the Columbia River Gorge Tomorrow (Timberlake RV Campground, Home Valley, WA - Full through the weekend)

7/15-7/20 - Silver Cove RV Resort - Castle Rock, WA - open

7/20 - 7/25 - Barview Jetty County Park (Tillamook, OR) Full

7/25 - 7/27 - Lewis and Clark Golf and RV (Astoria, OR) Weekend - maybe some sites

7/27- 8/1 - Barview Jetty County Park (Tillamook, OR) Full

Who knows?

We also tried Olde Stone Village for the weekend and struck out. Options are limited.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Nice visit with the Springfield clan yesterday. Ice cream, pizza and homemade "Buckeyes". Left this morning and just finished dinner at the Largest Truck Stop in the world. Probably won't do.that.again soon.

Will park in Shueyville , IA tomorrow.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Left this morning and just finished dinner at the Largest Truck Stop in the world. Probably won't do.that.again soon.

Why is that you would not do that again soon? I was thinking I might stop when I went by some day. Not a good idea?

Edited by Cathy & Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Kent

Yep, we're here and having the same issue. Mind telling us which Mobile home park you are in?

Hi Trey and Susan, We are at Lazy Z MH park on 72nd st. Literally every park we talked with they said that it has never happened before that they were full. In fact 99 RV at the north end of 5 and 205 called around to try and find places to send people and found nothing. they had no idea why everything was full, but it was. We only have 2 more months here, and it has been a nice 55+ MH park.

It is not an RV park with showers and all but there are a couple of empty places here though I don't know if they are set up for RV or just MH's.

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

Why is that you would not do that again soon? I was thinking I might stop when I went by some day. Not a good idea?

Jim,

It's a nice place to visit but the food has gone way down hill. As I write this having coffee the next morning, I still feel the tough dry Iowa chop in my belly. I was so looking forward to one this summer but that one may have ruined it for me. I can usually find something good to eat, but last night it was difficult. The eggs this morning were ok, so maybe if you order off the menu it would be Ok.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

We left Cody WY this a.m. Now in Miles City, WO. Heading for Medora, ND tomorrow. IMHO, eastern WO is not nearly as pretty as SD and MO. We really enjoyed Yellowstone - especially the Canyon.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Trey, we just drove through Barview Jetty county park yesterday and they are pretty nice sites. Best place we saw between Lincoln City and Nehalem Bay. There were a few sites in Tillamook Bay City RV park in Tillamook that would work but no one was around to talk to about specific dates.

It looked like we might fit into a spot or two in the Nehalem Bay Trailer park. They were not too level but could be used. It is at the corner of the turnoff to Nahalem Bay State park. The state park, though huge, was slammed full and is useless to an HDTer, though quite nice looking. Just too few spots that were deep enough with reasonable back-in access.

We also checked out the Thousand Trails / Encore park at Pacific City. it is huge but pretty impossible for HDTers (or anything longer than about 40' overall). The sites are all rear blocked and scattered all over the steep hillsides. Most have very difficult access angles, too. If it was pretty empty one might find a spot (for $67/night) but it would take a lot of looking.

Depending on Dates there might be a spot or two at Shorewood RV Park but HDT would likely have to go into storage to park. Again, pricey and a little tight but nicer park.

We decided to just go on up nearer Astoria or maybe into Long Beach, WA for our next stop. There is not much to see before that except a few places where 101 is actually along the coast (which was mostly fogged in all day). We are thinking maybe Andersen's on the beach in Long Beach might work but have not checked, yet. Apparently, mid-July thru Mid-Sept is the high season along coastal Oregon to Washington.

Good luck with your planning.

Edited by Budd

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

You too, Budd.

Thanks for the info.

We'll be in one of those 90' sites at Barview Jetty.

We are set through the first of August. Thanks for the check up.

Robert Springfield said they stayed at Anderson Park in Vernonia for another option.

We are currently at Silver Cove RV Park on the east side of Silver lake (Castle Rock, WA - on the way to Mt. St. Helens).

NIce big wide side (#75) back in. Camp Wifi service is new and great - A few disconnects from time to time but other than that it's good speed. There is no/zip/nada/goose egg Verizon Cellular Data - so glad that the camp wifi is good. But also campground is 30% capacity - so that is a factor.

Just pulled into Lazy JD RV park just north of Rapid City. Should be here 3 or 4 weeks, at least till first of August.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I am now at North Platte Nebraska in Holiday RV Park & Campground and will be here tell Monday July 21. Roads kind of narrow but doable and trees the limbs seem to be ok for height I did not hit any. Though my service is 30 amp they do have 50 amp just none available for the weekend. Sites 70 feet and enough room for both 5er and truck and can slide Smart along side. Not real fancy and a bit older but fine for use I think.

On the way through town coming toward me signalling to make a left turn was and HDT with 5er. I did not get a close look other than we waved at each other. I think it was a white Volvo, and a red vehicle on the deck but I don't think it was a Smart my mind did not register it as one anyway. :P

W are sitting 40 miles north of Denali NP.

Truck is finanally running properly, after having spent 5 days and $2440.oo at Cummins Northwest, only to have to back for more repairs yesterday. Seems that if you don't properly torque rocker shaft bolts, the shaft will break, valves won't open, injectors don't squirt, etc. But you kill lots of mosquitoes, and go through 50 gal of fuel real quick.

They repaired it, no charge, but we lost yet another day of play time. That makes 11 days of repairs since June 21. They wanted to hold us up an additional 4 days for a new charge air cooler too, at $2500 plus labor. I declined, as I am pulling 30# of boost and I can get the c.a.c. for $1028 back home.

On a brighter note, the smart is doing well, we had a great day fishing for halibut down at Homer, and now we're going to unload the dual sport motorcycles to explore around here. Susan saw some pictures of the Denali Highway, and is all fired up to get on two wheels. That's my girl.........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Superior, WI.

First issue with the Volvo..... A/C compressor locked up and broke belt. No cold air and no alternator. Volvo dealer here (Nuss Truck Center) took me in today and immediately replaced compressor, accumulator, flushed system, recharged, etc. Great service but now out $850. Air is now cold enough to hang meat in the cab. Still doing our trip blog when we have Internet and time. Volvo computer shows 8.2 mpg overall since leaving VA June 15th.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar