HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived in Gardiner Mt. (North Gate of Yellowstone) on Tuesday evening. Will be until next Wednesday, then off to the Grand Tetons for a few days before heading out to California the following week.

Have to send out a great big Thank You Mike & Susan McCraven (and Boomer too) for the hosipitality. Arrived at their place Sunday afternoon and spent the night and the day Monday with them. Wonderful location just 20 minutes NE of Colorado Springs, SE of Denver. 50A hookup with a great view. We really enjoyed visting with them and will have to stop again when in the area.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

We made it out of Livingston. (All registrations and change of address complete). Waited a day due to the storms but swung by Larry Herrins. DW got to meet him, we spent an hour or two discussing some small projects and agreed on the work. What a great experience. I simply love the personal experience and overall feeling when I am at his place. Unfortunately did not get to see Rocky while I was there, but maybe next time. Larry is backed up now with work so we get to come back when things warm up. :) We Left Larrys and came to my Brother in Laws in Dallas for a few days. Wandered to the little town of Canton yesterday to take the last part of my Driving Test. That was a great experience and Canton DMV comes highly recommended. Now that I have a license I am proclaiming myself a "TEXAN". Since Texas recently waived the 6 month residency requirement for a CWL I think the DW and I will take the requisite class for that tomorrow and apply for the CWL while we are here.

Off to Oklahoma City to see Family next week.

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Short week on the road for Raymond and I (since he's still working). Heading N on I-95 to pick up I-10 W to DeFuniak Springs campground for today/tomorrow nights and then to Pensacola, FL Wednesday through Friday nights. Meeting family from Houston there....and will get to see friends from 1st grade that live there. :) Back on the East Coast of FL on 1 June...near I-95 Exit 244 - IF anyone travels near there....give us a call. Happy Trails everyone! Drive Safe.

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

Thanks, Rocky and Sheri. That's where we are booked. I agree they were very nice...even went out and measured the pull thur site, so we don't even have to unhook.

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

Well back at home camping in the back yard. House has sold so off again, this time to Merritt BC to look for a new home while livig in the trailer.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on the road for three weeks now. Our first stop was in Colorado to visit the Cravens. It was awesome staying at their place, but most importantly, they were such pleasant and generous hosts!

Spent 8 days in Yellowstone, then Grand Tetons for a few days. We had a few fantastic experiences with foxes and kits, momma black bears and cubs, and courting grizzly bears. Visited Yosemite and San Dieog for 2 days each and we have one last stop in Vegas before heading back to the sticks and bricks east of Dallas, TX. We have quite a some customization to do to the interior of the Montana, and hope to get that done before the HDT Rally in Kansas this fall!

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

My truck, trailer and motorcycle are at the Flatgard RV spot south of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It's off I 380 at exit 10 Shueyville/Swisher. Will be there until at least September and most likely November. Hope to make it to the Rally in October. I spend the weekends in Oskaloosa, Iowa.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

After 3 mos in Mesa (AZ), we are finally back on the road -- heading north & east to visit:

- Toledo area (my siblings, maybe see Bill & Cecil)

- via (first stop) Show Low Elks, visiting friends at Juniper Ridge RV resort,

- ABQ (for a case of Dolores' spicy sauce, Ralph & Linda),

- Kansas (NH factory & our fogie friends near Salina),

- Chicago (youngest son & Fannie's cousin),

- Indianapolis square dance event;

that will cover the rest of June and early July. After that, onward to (maybe?) see Henry & Davena while they're still in NH (as we still wanna re-visit the north-east of NH/VT and Maine); also, plan a couple weeks near NYC (Lido Beach county park) to visit our eldest son and see some plays.

We got a late start, so will take Tucumcari (US54) short-path toward Hutch (after ABQ) - so will miss seeing Jack & Danielle via the Denver path... hope to see you guys in the Fall.

Wishing safe travels to all!

-Don

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

Well, going in a little opposite direction than most today :wacko:B) . We are headed south back to Mission, TX. Have a Family Missions Trip to run into Mexico so we are going to be there for a few weeks. I would say stop on by, but you shouldn't be in the area during this time of year, and I won't be at my rig anyway.

Be blessed,

Edited by HERO Maker

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I would stay stop on by, but you shouldn't be in the area during this time of year . . .

You're right, we shouldn't be. But we are, for the time being. If your travels bring you anywhere near our neighborhood, please feel free to drop by and say hello.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I replied to your email/. We can likely fit you in, but it depends on how long you want to stay....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In the FWIW dept: We are back in Raleigh, NC for a few weeks before heading to Champaign, IL and then points west.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

We are in beautiful Beaverlodge Alberta. Home of the Big Beaver!

We will be here until ???, whenever they ship me off to another location.

Finally got to meet and have a great visit with Darryl and Rita from Grande Prairie. They drove the Arctic Glacier the 40 km to come visit.

Good times....

Mike

photo7_zps08a94e8b.jpg

Edited by Barncats

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Were at Golden Hill State park in western New York by Lake Ontario, I'm resting up after getting out of the hospital. Turns out I had two pulmonary embolisms that came close to doing me in a month ago, I had a sore leg and thought I pulled a muscle. I took a trip on an airplane and the clot in my leg broke up and part stayed in the leg the other two parts went one to each lung. I guess the clot in my right lung is big. Now Im on blood thinners and was told to stay off the cycles for the summer by the doctor and my wife. Guess I'm lucky to be here so not riding for this year will be no big deal... So were just kicking back here..

Take it to the limit one more time!

Just into a new home in Merritt. 5 months in the trailer, miss having a workshop now I can get the new 20' x 40' shop organized in a few days.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

In Iron Mountain Michigan until mid-September.

IMG_0114_zpse68350a4.jpg

Bruce & Sharon

Boogie & Jack (The campin' critters)

Full-Time since 2006

2005 Freightliner Century ST II with Detroit diesel 60 series 14 Liter 455 hp 3:73 gears, ultra-shift 10 spd, 2L smart car hauler bed and matching paint by 2L Custom Trucks (Gentle Giant)

2010 44.5 ft Spacecraft with bar (Animal House)

2010 Smart For 2 (Urkel)

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, that is one LONG haul from Hays, KS to Moab.....man I would hate to do that.

You might consider Oakley, KS as a stopover, High Plains Campground. Big pullthrus.

You might consider a tour of the New Horizons factory, since you are going literally right past it.....Junction City, KS.

If you get "down" to Colorado Springs we are in that area....looks like you are "trucking through" though.

In Moab we often stay at Portal, when not boondocking.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Chris, I agree with Jack you have some pretty long days planned out there. Moab to Hays will be a long day between going over the Eisenhower and then thru Denver. Far longer than the 10 hours that Google Maps are showing.

Sioux Falls to West Yellowstone @ almost 900 miles and 13 1/2 hours according to Google will be a much longer day. There is no way you can do that in 13 1/2 hours of driving (not including fuel stops, meals and potty breaks) in a HDT and a trailer. The last 55 miles (Gardiner, MT to West Yellowstone, MT) is a 2 lane blacktop with no shoulder and lots of curves. I do this drive every year (most years twice) and that piece of road is always in 7th or 8th gear because of road conditions. You hit a wildlife jam and there is no telling how long it will take you to get thru it.

Amarillo, TX to Laramie, WY, almost all Interstate. According to Google 575 miles with a time of 8:40. Reality 12 hours on average over 5 different trips since owning the HDT. That includes 1 fuel stop (20~30 minutes), 2 rest stops (10~15 minutes) and a meal stop (30 minutes). If traffic is bad in Denver then who knows. One year Denver traffic (not rush hour) was so bad it added an additional 2 hours to the trip. Start driving at 8am and finish at 8pm. I am in my mid 40s that that is still long day.

This spring with my nephew in the pick up we did Mammoth Lakes, CA back to Dallas in 24 hours. We drove non-stop (getting too old for that) and with 2 meal stops, several fuel stops only 1 rest area since incorporated our rest stops with our fuel stops. We did not need to run faster than the speed limit of 75 thru AZ, NM and TX. Google Maps says 1225 from Vegas to the house @ 17:45. We did that stretch in 18 hours with stops. Just last month on the way home from California we stopped in Vegas with the trailer & HDT. Same stretch in the HDT took 22 hours over 2 days. A 12 hour day and 10 hour day. The 10 hour day we were pushing it because we really wanted to be home. I typically run with a speed in the upper 60s and I pay for it with fuel. On the 10 hour day I was run 70~72 with a little bit of a head wind and my fuel mileage really went south, 6.5. We wanted to get home and we paid the price. As a compairson I typically get around 7.5 running in the upper 60s and when in California with running 60 (55 posted speed), I can get 8.5~9mpg with no problems.

My point is while it is much easier to do the miles in a HDT it is not the same as in a normal passenger vehicle. The faster you go you will pay for it in not only fuel but abuse to your trailer. Last time I was running I90 thru MT I had to slow down to keep from beating the trailer to death due to the condition of the road (I have ET hitch and MorRyde I/S on trailer). I am not retired and I understand having a limited amount of time, you have a great trip planned, make sure you enjoy it and that your only memories are not from behind the wheel of the truck.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL