Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

No it's not discouraged. Of course the more advance both the tech can give and the project manager can provide the better. The more travelers we have the better also and we're definately staffing up. It all comes down to doing a good job on your current project and completing the project that you're on as well as communicating your needs. The most important aspect is being there through the whole project. That's determined at the beginning, month or two to several months in duration. Bottom line, it's a two way street with give and take on both sides.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have taken time off between jobs with no issues. Work a project, finish, take our time going to the next site, and start / check in when I'm ready to go. I try to keep my boss informed of the when and were's and haven't had any issue in almost a year with them.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 4 weeks later...

If you work full time (year round), you are eligible for benefits including health coverage. I don't believe part time employees get benefits. When I take alittle extra time getting to my next assignment and I won't have pay to cover my insurance premium, I use some vacation time so the money is there to cover the premium. If you plan on taking 3 months off I am not sure you would be considered full time. Probably best to call HR and ask them your options.

2016 Keystone Laredo 355 RL

2008 Ford F350

• 3 weeks later...

I am coming aboard soon, and I cannot wait to see new places and looking forward to the new challenges. All that is left for me is a new mattress for the RV and a tow kit for the jeep (still shopping around).

So have you gotten through training and in the field?.. first impressions on the whole deal thus far.. good bad etc have a good one

2005 Airstream Classic 31D , pulled with a 2003 F-250 7.3L, CrewCab with a Propride hitch for stability.

So have you gotten through training and in the field?.. first impressions on the whole deal thus far.. good bad etc have a good one

My first impressions that I got with the position is "Thank god I am not at an airport no more" lol. Overall I enjoy the position, but I still have not worked long enough to have the good with the bad as of yet. I just finished training, but I have yet to go out by myself yet since it is raining right now and you can't do much when it is wet outside. The company overall is quite good, and they want to take care of their employees. I was lucky enough to meet the people in the office day 1 and it does have that small business feeling and the office staff is great, and they are there when you need them.

• 1 month later...

The traveler program is growing at Southern Cross. We're actually branching out on the gas side into meter receiver/transmitter replacement (that's the thing with all the spinning numbers) and also into electric meter replacements nationwide. Still a great opportunity for full-time employment AND travel. Here's the link to my blog again. This was written about 3 years ago when I was doing leak survey in Dalton, GA.

http://airstreamtalesandtrails.blogspot.com/2013/07/walkin-line.html

this is an interesting new development. Is this an additional type of job at SC in which you will be doing gas line inspections along with changing out meters with what a new digital transmitter type? or will they be separate jobs.

Just got home last week with "new" 2005 classic 30 ft airstream hoping to hit the road in 4 years more or less. With this new job set how long do you they seeing this going into the future??

congrats on your promotion. Does this make you the new travel projects manager for east or all US?

thanks for the updates and take care.

2005 Airstream Classic 31D , pulled with a 2003 F-250 7.3L, CrewCab with a Propride hitch for stability.

Hey Carl,

All of the travelers, wherever they may be. Actually our president is planning to double the size of the company in the next two years. I'm cross training our techs from gas leak survey to meter index changes, electric meter changes and everything else we can get ourselves into. This will allow us to have an even more versatile traveling workforce with even more opportunities for our team. We're currently at about 70 travelers. Sky's the limit my friend. BTW nice choice for digs.

Been keeping up with this thread and very interested in the electrical side of the job...I have ten years experience in reading, changing out electric meters and would love to do that again as a "traveler"!! Is that an option now or is it just the gas line service that is available? Thanks again for all your up-dates and information for everybody! Have a blessed day!

We do have a pilot project starting at the end of the month for electric meter changes. Cross country with 6 technicians. We're going to parlay that into more electric projects down the road. We'll always be involved in leak survey but this is definately going to be an additional direction for us.

Been keeping up with this thread and very interested in the electrical side of the job...I have ten years experience in reading, changing out electric meters and would love to do that again as a "traveler"!! Is that an option now or is it just the gas line service that is available? Thanks again for all your up-dates and information for everybody! Have a blessed day!

dude,,

if i had 1 month, 2 weeks, 6 days till retirement I would stay home, not drive, not do anything that might change that till after retirement has started.. :)

congrats to you sir for a job well done..

This meter change out deal sound right up your alley. But I have to wonder how long something like that can last.. there are only so many meters, our got changed out several years ago in the garner nc area, and once changed out they don't really need any more service other than someone driving around in a van taking the readings for billing.

at least with gas lines they will, not if but when, develop leaks that need to be found.

wish i was in your shoes and could convince the wife this was a cool thing to do, but for her doing nothing is COOL..

Southern Cross is expanding into more utility areas beyond the gas survey and meter replacement. Water meters are also being replaced, gas meter index's are being swapped for ERT style, all the street lighting that is halogen or mercury vapor are being changed to LED etc.

Plus every month there are miles of new gas piping being laid. All the new natural gas wells have piping that has to be inspected quarterly. Many systems are moving to a 3-year survey instead of 5-year. There is no lack of work.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Southern Cross is expanding into more utility areas beyond the gas survey and meter replacement. Water meters are also being replaced, gas meter index's are being swapped for ERT style, all the street lighting that is halogen or mercury vapor are being changed to LED etc.

Plus every month there are miles of new gas piping being laid. All the new natural gas wells have piping that has to be inspected quarterly. Many systems are moving to a 3-year survey instead of 5-year. There is no lack of work.

that is great to hear.. I know in my area we still have old dial type gas meters, our elec meters were switched out to digital transmitter type several years ago, and our street light changed out last year from MV to LED.. it amazing. The town we live in estimated we are saving over 80K a year in utility cost and we are a small town (Garner NC, home of American Idol Winner, Scotty McCreery), outside of raleigh nc.

looking forward to hitting the road and hoping i can get the wife to see how great an opportunity this could be.

kevin is not writing so much now, he tried to shuck that off to the cat, but it not working. I enjoyed reading his adventures on the gas line job but now as a big wig I guess there is less time.

I wanted to ask kevin about the guy he was working with in utah, i think, that quit and when to FedEx and they happen to see each other in a totally different place.. any contact with him and how he is doing now..?? and man what a story of how small the world really is..

dude,,

if i had 1 month, 2 weeks, 6 days till retirement I would stay home, not drive, not do anything that might change that till after retirement has started.. :)

congrats to you sir for a job well done..

This meter change out deal sound right up your alley. But I have to wonder how long something like that can last.. there are only so many meters, our got changed out several years ago in the garner nc area, and once changed out they don't really need any more service other than someone driving around in a van taking the readings for billing.

at least with gas lines they will, not if but when, develop leaks that need to be found.

wish i was in your shoes and could convince the wife this was a cool thing to do, but for her doing nothing is COOL..

Keep working on her, maybe she will come around!! Many moons ago when we were raising our kids we would take our 2- week "vacation" away from the salt mines and began talking to folks that had retired and were full timing and that really helped convince her that it was possible. The relaxation and freedom of going where we wanted when we wanted and most importantly When we wanted seemed like a dream come true. She was like your wife at first but slowly she came around and when the nest was empty (two years ago) we got a chance to "camp host" at a state park while we were still working at our full time jobs and that sealed the deal!! She absolutely loves it. There is absolutely nothing like it...just can't wait to hit the road and change the scenery!!!

I still want to work part time to supplement the retirement income and stay in shape. Although if we can find the right camp host position that pays I think that fits us better than this but that's the great part of this lifestyle...it's OUR choice now!!!! Good luck to you, hope you are sucessful in changing your wife's miind!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I want to update the thread. I'm now the project manager for all of the travelers at Southern Cross. That means I'm your one stop shop for hiring and training. I'm hiring 10 travelers to report to our company headquarters in Atlanta on June 6th for a 2 week training program. We're also going to utilize the Georgia Utilities Training Academy (GUTA) in nearby Monroe, GA for field training - think tiny houses, little streets and the ability to create any type of gas leak scenario. This is new for us as we've been training our new folks in the field on current projects up until now. If your east of the Mississippi I'll reimburse mileage at .79/mile. West of the Mississippi, let's talk. Way out west we're still training in the field but I'm working on a similar arrangement with a training facility in Utah.

If you've been on the fence now is your time. Contact me through the e-mail below - my personal address , or company email at kcartwright@southerncrossinc.com.

Here's the link on my blog to the post I made as a technician a few years back.

http://airstreamtalesandtrails.blogspot.com/2013/07/walkin-line.html

• 2 weeks later...

A recent article from Alberta Oil magazine gives some names for Canadian companies doing pipeline inspections. Be aware that the distances between "civilization" can be quite large up here.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

kcartwright@southerncrossinc.com

be sure to email kevin at southercross as well.. I was in contact around Christmas time to say hello..

3 more year till we full time.. :)

Is Southern Cross still using/hiring mobile leak survey technicians or any other "traveler" natural gas utility jobs?

I am very interested in this also. I think it would be a great set up for someone like me, a single gal with a couple of dogs and an RV.

Edited by DuneElliot

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

I would like more information on this please. My wife and I are looking at traveling full time next year (2018) and are currently looking for income. We will be new to this life style but looking forward to the opportunities it offers. If you can forward me any information you think I would need and also the qualifications that are required it would be extremely helpful. Please let me know how I can send you my email to receive the info (not sure if there is a PM option on the threads).

Thank you

Brian Bernard