RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Re: The RDBE Calendars! We printed 65 calendars and sold all of them. I have a pre-paid request from a resident of our Town that wants one. If there is anyone else that would like one (or more) please let me know and we'll do another small run done. ($12 plus shipping). Also we need to think about the 2008 Edition. All suggestions, ideas, themes or whatever are welcome! Stay warm and drive safely. From "Blizzardy NH" The RDBE Mistress

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let you know we are in the middle of the blizzrard of Valentines Day 2007!White out conditions, gusts up to 50 mph and ice and sleet mixed in some areas, We have about 8 inches now, not bad, but further north may get 2-3 feet.

Molly was not too keen to go out so we put a stylish "Valentine outfit" on her.

230507057.jpg

My oldest son is a Chauffeur for a big limousine company and he is driving to and from Logan Airport till midnight! Our middle son, a marketing sales rep, was told to stay home by his boss,so he's being entertained by his 3 yr old and 17 month old daughters, and our youngest, a computer engineer, is skiing at Attitash Ski Resort! For us, we're hunkered down in the office, running off 300 copies of the MDT newsletter! At least we know in New England, tomorrow will be better! Happy Valentines Day to all. Really wish we were in Casa Grande with ya'all! Next year for sure! Hugs, Davena

RDBE CALENDARS: We printed another 5 calendars today. One is sold but if anyone else needs one please let me know. I thought we should have some on hand for the HDT Rally in June. Happy Presidents Day to all !

RDBE Mistress

• 3 weeks later...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAMILLA!!! AND MANY, MANY MORE!

We've been gone for a few weeks working Rallies and Shows in Gila Bend, Casa Grande and Tucson. We had a great time, met lots of nice people and even sold a few PressurePro and Dri-Wash products.

We're back home at North Ranch for a few weeks then we'll head back to Tucson for the New Horizon rally in April.

Hope everyone is having fun!!!

Hugs to all..............Pat

Guest hjsdds

RDBE Gals! Just returned from a quick trip to NC to deliver a trailer hitch! Would like to ask all the RDBE Gals to welcome a new member Connie Marcy! Her HDT is still getting a makeover and in the last minute fix stage but she should have it on the road in a week or two. She and Marv have been fulltiming for several years, and usually traverse the country from Nags Head, NC to Colorado and Montana! We had a wonderful stay with them at their beach house in the Outer Banks and the 60 degree weather was a well earned change from subzero's here in NH! Their hospitality was most appreciated plus we had a great time with new friends! Connie very capably handled our 'Kechup' (with Henry in the passenger seat of course) to get some driving practice in while their rig is still in the shop! Connie is RDBE member # 34. Welcome to the RDBE Gals, and keep on drivin!

I wish Camilla and Diane very HAPPY BIRTHDAYS and a wonderful year ahead!

My hubby and DYIGuy are leaving early tomorrow morning for Missouri to pick up brand new custom 43' Spacecraft! hjsdds is lending his driving skills, and comfort factor to DYIGuy on his virgin hauling voyage! What a nice birthday gift for Diane and wish you many years of enjoyment and safe travels! Hugs RDBE Mistress

Welcome Connie!!! We are looking forward to meeting you at one of the HDT Rallies or on the road somewhere. We spend our summers in the Black Hills of South Dakota. If you are in the area, stop by to see us.

Congratulations to Mark and Diane on their brand new Spacecraft. Hope we get to see it at the HDT Rally this fall.

Hugs.......Pat

Guest hjsdds

To RDBE Gals: Today Cindy Brown is celebrating her birthday and I want to wish her a very Happy Birthday and a wonderful year ahead!

Another RDBE MEMBER!! The Testosterone Bunch that is presently at Spacecraft in Concordia MO,(HJSDDS and DIYGuy) are doing a great job on our behalf! They recruited Marsha Troutman, the owner of Spacecraft MFG. to join the RDBE Gals . She is member #35 and drives a FL Columbia 22'Toter. Welcome Marsha and perhaps we can convince you to join us at the HDT rally!

RDBE Mistress

Guest hjsdds

WISHING ALL THE RDBE GALS A VERY HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY! Wear green, drink green and think green and maybe lottsa green will come you're way! (Better win the megabucks!) Safe Travels icon_smile.gif RDBE Mistress

A few weeks ago, thanks to Davena and Henry, I took a practice run in Kechup. It handled well but i didn't have to use a clutch except to start and stop. Took my first real road test today in OUR "new" truck. Driving a big rig with gear shifting is VERY different from driving large motor homes with automatic everything!

We have a Volvo with a split 10 transmission. Although i drove a manual trans. car for years, it did nothing to prepare me for truck shifting. Actually I didn't do too bad for the first day out. (Hubby did EXCEPTIONALLY well in the patience dept.)

QUESTION FOR ALL YOU SHIFTERS- i'll be practicing (bob-tail) daily. Can i expect the "light bulb" to come on one day and have the shifting come easy?

connie #34

I've been driving "big rigs" for 30 years, every now and then this driver has brain fade and nothing I can do will make the shifter do what it is supposed to do.

On the other hand, 99% of the time shifting is automatic.

1993 Freightliner Conversion; 3176 CAT; Eaton 10spdOD; 120" sleeper; 243"wb.

http://community.webshots.com/user/JohnCIL

Guest hjsdds

Good going Connie! It hasn't been a "thoughtless" experience yet for me after almost a year in Kechup. As a former pilot, I have a check list in my mind, and go through it every time I hop in the drivers seat to remember sequencing and all the right buttons to push and pull! It's great that you're practicing daily, that's what it takes to reach a comfort level without the 'white knuckle' syndrome. (Marv might have that!) If you get comfortable bob taling, then when you pull, just remember those WIDE turns, and many car lengths between you and the guy in front and you'll do fine! When will you be hitching up for the first time? How is the truck project coming! Keep us posted when you hit the road! Davena

Boy, and I was hoping for that same light to go off! I took ours out for practice while we were in Texas -- back & forth along the same 15-mile stretch of divided state highway. The "light" started getting brighter when we took it to a fairgrounds outside Athens -- there was enough of a straight-away to get it through most of the gears before I had to stop & get it turned around (why couldn't they just put a loop in?)

Anyway, I got to where I could tell from the engine sounds when it was time to shift. Kinda the same as when you have a manual transmission on a passenger car/truck -- you get a little more confident with time, and you feel GREAT when you actually manage to "get it".

We talked about it for quite some time, and did decide to invest in a Gearmaster (another thread) -- Dave has used it when in downshifting situations, and I use it not only when downshifting, but also if I get flustered & am not sure which gear I should be trying for. I've been known to forget which gear I'm in, too!

Have't driven since we got to the Phoenix area -- just too much traffic for me. Hoping to get some more practice in when we get to NM in a couple weeks.

Having driven a manual transmission for 30 years, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal learning how to shift a big truck -- I was certainly wrong on that assumption. And I agree with you on the huge difference from driving a large motor home with automatic transmission; the size of the truck doesn't bother me -- it's that blasted shifting! I get pretty frustrated, but when I finally get good at it, I'm gonna be strutting around like a banty rooster!

However, I'm also pretty sure it's always going to take much more thought than the "easy" shifting a car has.

BTW, Dave has also been VERY patient during this whole endeavor. Occasionally he'll get annoyed that I'm not driving, but he also understands that I'm not about to hook up to our 38-foot "home" until I'm past the freaking-out stage.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Guest hjsdds

Hi there, It's time for birthday greetings for the April Gals! Although LaVila's birthday is on April fools day, it's no joke! Freda celebrates her special day on April 6th. I wish both of you a very happy birthday, celebrate in style with a sip of 'Limoncello' and an RDBE Birthday Wish.Remember every year we get wiser, become more adept at enjoying the RV lifestyle, and pretty darn good at manuvering those HDT's along the highways and byways of America! Happy Happy! RDBE Mistress

Guest hjsdds

Your girls are having way too much fun. I can see in the near future "ranking" developing in your midst. Do I dare to post a "suggestion" from the testosterone bunch. I suggest a "Limoncello" colored membership pin with hooks at the bottom to accept achievement badges, sort of like the military ribbons.

icon_eek.gif the RDBE Mistress just got back from a bobtail trip in Kechup and is is about to check the forum again!!

hjs

Guest hjsdds

Mark, 16 hour stretch is tough to beat, although the RDBE Mistress came close when we did Von Wert Escapade last year in 26 hours non stop.

I think you and I are not only hijacking the thread but also threading on thin ice.

I could think of a granite motif but the shape could be problematic. Discussions of "butts" amongst the RDBEs is quite "touchy", figuratively and otherwise.

hjs

Pat & Mike: Thanks for the Bday wish. We're in Houston with family for her big day (which we don't acknowledge anymore) and will be heading North to Illinois and Iowa tomorrow.

Mark: "Real men" can do 16 hours on a bicycle seat nonstop, not the cushy air rides in a Volvo!

Not all who wander are lost...but, odds are a few of us must be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11080131@N03/