Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Lurker here in the HDT and MDT forums. I would like a HDT but do to polio I have to have an automatic trans. Looked at some of the newer units and way out of my price range. The other issue is I would need a way to take my mobility scooter with me. Currently I use an F350 with a shell on it, using a Hitch Buddy to tow the 5th wheel.

Bill

2005 F350

2006 HitchBuddy hitch

2007 Bighorn 3670RL 5th Wheel

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been lurking...I mean learning on here for almost a year. Didn't learn quick enough though & bought a MDT 6 months ago. Sold it today & now going to find a HDT. I pull large heavy horse trailer with LQ's many miles a year. Hope to find a good truck soon.

I used to have a lot of stuff

but now I don't. LOL

http://community.webshots.com/user/festus45lc

I have been an RV owner for about 10 years off and on. I am only 39 so probably well below the average age of folks here. I have always loved big trucks so the idea of using one to haul my RV is really cool.

Kevin

1991 Alpenlite 29DL. ATHS member, 1959 Kenworth CC-925. USN Retired Aviator
KTM 440 & 380EXC Rider, 1971 Mustang Racer

dieseldan,

I just started lurking but plan to spend a good amount of time here. Last year I decided it was time to start preparing for snowbirding. You may have noticed that I'm one of your neighbors. I live in Chickaloon and commute the 75 miles to work in Anchorage each day.

Anyway, when I went to go pickup my first RV last August I saw a 5er I liked a lot more than my new Raptor, a KV Escalade Sporter. But my new pickup couldn't handle it (actually it just barely handles the Raptor).

It's too soon to trade my Raptor up so I've been thinking about what I would use for a new tow vehicle. The safe and logical vehicle would be 450 or 550 Ford, or an MDT. At least until yesterday this was true.

havaraptor (T2000 and Raptor) is also on the rv.net forum and I've always coveted his rig but thought it too impractical and expensive. So last evening I saw a comment about this forum, took a look and spent about 5 hours reading about HDT's.

Now I'm hooked. I was a driver when i was 19. HDT's have changed a lot from the 60's but I can see now that they are the logical tv answer if you are going to fulltime and travel a lot.

I'll start lurking now and make my plans to upgrade my tv in '08. If you're out this way this summer please stop in to Chickaloon. I've got plenty of room and I'd love to talk to someone that actually does use a HDT as a tv.

Doug

'06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6spd SRW Shortbed Quadcab exhaust break

'06 Raptor 3612

'07 Harley Davidson Sportster Roadster

'04 Yamaha Grizzly

I just started lurking here this week. I came because I joined the RV Consumer Group and read their material and ratings for 5th wheels. I discovered that it would be hard to get a good full-timing 5er that didn't need something stronger than a pickup to pull and stop it safely. Unfortunately, I think it will take me a year of reading in here to get enough of a grip on the subject matter to even ask a question.

Mary and Pete

Hello all; I'm a lurker on this forum and really enjoy all the discussions. I'm a retired Navy Chief and a retired landclearing contractor. Am familiar with dunp trucks and transports moving big yellow stuff. I have a 97 Dodge dually and an 89 Newmar LondonAire 37 RL. It weighs in and ready to hit the road at about 15000 lbs. Have been pulling this rig with the dually since 1998 and have had no problems since changing out to the MorRyde IS suspension. Have made several trips to Mexico as wagonmaster on rv adventure tours and go camping as often as time permits. Am now in the process of getting rid of the stick and brick, a lifetime acqumulation of STUFF and going full time. Am presently looking for a newer top of the line 5th wheel in the 36 to 38 ft class and an HDT to pull it. Any comments or guidance on my quest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks OB

OB, Sue and Charlie the cat

97 Dodge 3500 Ram, 4 by 4

04 MobileSuite 36TK3 #1207

SKP #97858

Retired Navy Chief

Hoping for health to improve enough to get another HDT

Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

Hey Dieseldan and O.B.. I retired from Uncle Sams Canoe Club in '85. Not really a "lurker" since I'm mdt-bof member with '98 FL80...sort of grey area between mdt and hdt...so I follow posts on both...enjoy them all. Pull a 38' Open Road 5ver and wouldn't want anything smaller than the FL80

OB,

Check out my 8 Jan "Selling truck and trailer" post. I have a 2006 Mobile Suites 38RL3 and Volvo 770 for sale. Both are in excellent condition and need nothing. My webshots link will lead you to pics of both. Send me a PM if you want a detailed list of features. I'll sell as a combo or separately only if the trailer sells first. There are a few guys on a waiting list for the truck but whoever wants the combo gets priority.

2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Long Bed, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow tank, Andersen Ultimate, BakFlip F1

2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery getter)

2014.5 Mobile Suites

Full Timing since 2013

http://suiteadventure.com

Previous:

2006 Mobile Suites

Volvo 770

Dave; I sent you a PM for more info on your rig.

Did you get it ?

OB

OB, Sue and Charlie the cat

97 Dodge 3500 Ram, 4 by 4

04 MobileSuite 36TK3 #1207

SKP #97858

Retired Navy Chief

Hoping for health to improve enough to get another HDT

Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

I've been reading and enjoying this site for several months. Have owned travel trailers for 30+ years. Maybe will buy a full-timing fiver in the future, and want to be prepared to buy enough truck. Thanks for all the great info.

Chevy Duramax, Hitchhiker II, one English Setter, one Siamese cat.

Hi Dan,

I visited the site a few times before signing up last Sep, and lurked off and on since then. The DW has been here a few years (on Escapees in general) reading and prepping for going fulltime this year.

My interest has increased the past few months. Although we're buying an MDT, I'm finding this forum a wealth of information. Like most males, I also just like looking at big rigs and seeing what you all have done with them. Very cool.

p.s. The truck we're buying is an International 4700LP, DT530, 275hp, 800 ft lbs torque, Allison 6 speed auto. Baby steps compared to you guys.

Regards

Bob & Pam Wallace

Roxie (Our "Broken" Rat Terrier)

Fulltime 4/28/07

2001 Royals International

2001 International 4700LP

1999 Isuzu Amigo (The Little Mule)

Our Location

Hi All... Been lurking for a few months now and will be looking for a HDT here pretty quick. I learn something new every day when I hop on this site. I just passed my DOT physical and have decided to go for my Arizona CDL. Just about impossible to register an HDT as a motorhome anymore in Arizona, and they are a bit touchy on licensing requiring a Class A CDL. Part of the cost of living in sunny AZ.

Ray & Nancy H.
2004 Volvo VNL-670; Cummins ISX 500hp/1650tq; Autoshift; 3:55 Rear Gears, Custom Bed wT/S Air Hitch
2010 39' Raptor Velocity Toyhauler.
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo
2012 Can-Am Commander 1000
2012 Can-Am Renegade 1000

A BIG Thanks !!!! to all the people on this forum ...I have been lurking here for a few months now....Have learned alot and about to learn alot more..... just bought a 01 Volvo 610 to row my raptor toyauler.

I am going to be seaching past posts to answer some of my questions about modifing the truck to meet my needs. At first I would like to leave the truck a tandem but I am worried about hurting the trailer from the harsh ride ...So would a air pin on the trailer help

2001 Volvo 610

07 Elite Suite RL3

2001 Ford SD-250

HD Ultra..V-Star

Been lurking for the past 18 months. Can't wait to get a 770 and start pulling the easy/right way. Onezman is overwhelmed and also said that the good ones are hard to find.

Any one have any good contacts in Texas where I might get a fair shake???? Can't wait to make one of the HDT rallys, east or west coast.

I've been posting in the othe forums here but lurking in the hdt. My 5th wheel is light and not a problem for my pickup. However I need to figure a way of getting my two atv's to go with us. I don't have or want to get a toy hauler and if I did the pickup wouldn't be a good candidate for towing it. I would have bought a mdt when I bought my pickup but I was planning on using the camping trek product, but legality is an issue in Oregon. So I've been kind of checking out COE trucks ('cause they are cheap) and mostly dreaming. I've been spying that IH for ten grand but I don't have the cash. So I keep lurking. I do have my cdl and have been around trucks and have several for my business. My other issue is a bad right shoulder so I was hoping to find something with an auto or autoshift. Now the price goes way up. Time will tell what will happen but for now I'm just hanging out checking out everyones picture of their beds and their websites and gaining ideas for the time when I can get one.

Rember, you are absolutley unique, just like everyone else!

I too am in the same position as Trent. Currently I am a computer geek, and my wife is waiting for a teaching position to come open at the school. Currently we have a 05 36’ Sandpiper, and a 04 dodge 3500 DRW. Right now this is fine working great together. But the daughters are getting a bet older (7 and 4) and all the girls want jet skis. This leaves me with two options double pull or find something bigger. Out of the rigs that I have seen, if I had it to do over again, I would takes Bears319 trailer with the 12 foot garage, and Dirt’s Truck. Figure that the truck is about 30 to 35 ft and the trailer is 41 ft. This should put me right at the max for the legal length limits.

Would like to see more of Dirt’s truck especially the bed, along with the hitch arrangement. <hint><hint>. icon_smile.gif

Bryan and Melinda

Corbin and Sydney

05 Sandpiper

04 Dodge 3500

well, I have been happily lurking for the past 6-ish months. We are looking at a fifth wheel and a volvo 770. This is a great forum with lots of info.

Its interesting how little people like to talk cost tho. Lots of good info on upgrades and work done, but rarely (if ever) does the poster mention the cost. Even on users personal pages (several of which are AWESOME, you know who you are. icon_wink.gif ) people dont put approximate costs.

anywho, thanks for all the great info.